Friday, February 7, 2020

Handmade 1/6 Scale Dolls

  My last post was about more things the kids and I made for the dolls. I then promised that the next post would be about actual dolls I made for the kids' dolls. So here they are. Keep in mind that I at least like to think I could do better these days!


You've seen the macaque monkey before. I found him crammed in a doll suitcase with the Raggedy Ann doll. I made a few mini Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. You may have seen my post on the set I actually sold HERE.



These dolls were the result of practicing by making another couple of miniature Raggedys first. I have the first Andy I made,which is in Tammy World's toybox. But the first Raggedy Ann I made went to Ivy's doll Blue.


The dress was made out of some fabric ribbon,which was used because the print was good for Raggedy Ann's dress. The ribbon is way too stiff though. Her dress just looks like a squashed tube,which it basically is. I also hand painted her stockings,and they don't look very good. The later Raggedys were made using striped fabric for their stockings. This Ann's apron is terrible too. At least her hair was sewn in! Overall I improved as I went on making the Raggedy dolls. I painted their faces,and I do think I prefer the face on Ivy's to the face on the one I sold. She looks kind of grouchy.

She's a little bigger than Ivy's. If I made more now I'd change the hair on the sides.
  Next is my attempt at making a miniature Sock Monkey doll.
 
I painted his little face.
The big flaw here is that I used full sized socks. The weave is way too thick, and it unraveled too much. The thickness made it hard to roll up tiny little arms and legs out of it. I did manage to give him little ears,but they're hard to see.


This last one is pretty bad. But then, the doll it was made to look like is pretty crazy looking anyway. You may have seen my post on Ivy's favourite larger doll,her Goldberger Baby doll, 'Baby'


This mini doll is my attempt at making a mini version of Baby for Blue.


She's made of polymer clay. I think I should have jointed her arms and legs with thread instead of wire. Wire lasts much better though.

She even has Baby's 'hitch hiking' toes!


She has the same crazy grin as the real Baby.




  The last miniature doll here is my favourite. I thought he came out really well.





This little guy is a miniature version of Fuzzy's favourite stuffed toy,'Elephant'. 


The real Elephant is about 16 inches tall. The little guy,made for Fuzzy the Doll, who is a Tommy doll, is about 2 inches tall.


The only thing is, he doesn't have Elephant's chubby cheeks.
  I was really at a loss as to what to make little Elephant out of,to copy the nubbly bluish gray fur big Elephant is made of. I finally discovered the perfect thing: the inside of one of those non skid socks they give you at the hospital!


It's more like terry cloth really,but used in something this tiny,it works.


  Once the fabric was decided on, I had to figure out what shape to cut out so that it would sew into the elephant shape. I'm pretty sure he was cut out all in one piece. He's another one of those things I made where I look at it now and think,"How did I do that?" Sewing really isn't my thing,so accomplishing some of these things was just luck I guess.


  For little Elephant's mouth I think I used a tiny piece of pink scrap fabric. I can't remember if I did that or painted it,and my eyes can't tell these days.


His ear middles and foot pads are just ovals of blue fabric,glued in. I think I may have done the edges with Fray Check to keep it from unraveling.




His little black eyes are beads.


Big Elephant's real eyes are brown with black pupils,but I wasn't going to go that far with the realism!


  Then I had to think of something for his vest. I tried to find a fabric with tiny blue stripes,but finding a perfect match, especially in that tiny scale, was impossible. In the end I used fine white fabric to make a vest and tie,and mixed up the appropriate colour of blue paint from acrylic paints,and painted them myself.


This was a LONG time ago,and the real Elephant's vest and tie were brighter then. It was a good match at the time!



After that I couldn't find the appropriate colour beads for his vest buttons either. I ended up using the paint I mixed up for the stripes and tie to also paint some beads. I then sewed them on the front of the vest. Well,they've been lost over the years. My bead sewing is about as dependable as my button sewing I guess. (The buttons I sew on always end up dropping off again,although,the glass beads I sewed on for eyes on Ivy's home made Toto,for her Dorothy costume,have stayed on pretty well. Maybe I resewed them at some point.)
   Elephant was, like Ivy's Baby and Emma's favourite stuffed toy,her rabbit Charlie,one of those toys  I spotted and knew they just had to have. Charlie was a last minute spot on a run for something for Easter the day before. We already had a bunny for Emma,but I never liked it. When I saw Charlie I knew he was special. At 28 Emma still keeps him on her bed. I can't remember the occasion for which Ivy was gifted with Baby. I do remember that I 'visited' Baby several times at Kaybee toys,insisting that we needed to get her for Ivy because she looked like her. (In fact, when I bought Baby she and Ivy had the exact same colour eyes,and when I put my long hair down over Baby's forehead and put a bonnet on her she was Ivy's double. Ivy even only had two bottom teeth at the time.) Ken kept resisting,but I finally overrode him and bought Baby. Ivy was immediately in love and still keeps Baby on her bed. Elephant was something I saw on a quick run into Walmart one night while we were moving. We had been so busy moving that Emma hadn't gotten a Halloween costume yet. I had made all her others, but this time she wanted to be The Pink Ranger from Power Rangers,and she had seen a real costume she wanted. We had come to town to drop things off at our new house,which is a half hour away from where we were living then. It was late and we had to head back to the old place,but it was so close to Halloween that we made a stop at Walmart to get Emma's costume. I ran in,and while I was there I saw Elephant on a shelf. I only wavered for a second,and then grabbed him for Fuzzy. He got him that Christmas, which was his first.
  I know there are way more things I made for the dolls. When I do a redo of Emma's room I'll show you some of her things.

17 comments:

  1. I like the sock monkey the best, believe it or not! He reminds me of the sock monkeys I had when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! I think he's the second worst of the lot.

      Delete
  2. how sweet, love your dolly tales and the mini-me's dolls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the elephants. They are adorable.

    I had a sock Monkey when I was little. His name was Billy. I took him to college with me. My freshman (freshwoman?) roommate hated him. When I returned back to the dorm from visits to my parents, I would find him stuffed in the trash or in the back of my closet. My roommate said he was staring at her and she had to get him out of her sight. Billy is long since gone but I think of him from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mini Raggedys are amazing! I love tiny little things--I keep collecting tiny things with the intent of doing a doll toy shop, but I never get that far. Do you have any of the World's Smallest toys? I adore those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much! You sound like me with the 1/6 scale antique store I keep saying I'm going to make! I have the stuff,just not the actual store set up. I do have a few of the World's Smallest things. I wanted the Elf on the Shelf, but I missed him and now he's too expensive for me. I also have a few of those keyrings that came out years ago,like the Tinkertoys.

      Delete
  5. Everyone is their own worst critic. I think that your dolls are awsome. Especially the elephant. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great, I like the little Raggedy Ann and particularly like the little blue elephant!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby actually looks really close. I now you don't think so, but if you look at baby the doll and then baby the clay doll - you can see a resemblance.

    I think the elephant is my favorite just because I like elephants so much. But all of them are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That elephant! I've been looking for him for years and could never find any info on him! Do you know what he was actually called? I have mine from my childhood, and his name is Fluffy!

      Delete
    2. I only know I bought him at Walmart in October of 1995. I wish I knew more, because he was one of those special keep forever childhood toys of my middle child's, and he recently burnt in a fire at our house. Another one wouldn't be "Elephant", but it might be something. Where did yours come from? Maybe we can track this down.

      Delete
    3. Oh, he was a cheap stuffed toy without a name as I recall.

      Delete
    4. I don't even know. Mom says she thinks she got him at walmart, but that's all she really remembers. I've had tons of Elephants, but Fluffy is my favorite.

      Delete
    5. Maybe we need to find out what brand of stuffed toys Walmart carried in the 90's. (I'm assuming you got yours around 1995 also.) We have another elephant that looks almost exactly the same, only much larger, and without clothes. He survived the fire, and has been washed and sent to storage, since the room will need a complete remake, windows, walls, doors, and all. Otherwise I could see if he has a tag. He has pink inside his ears instead of grey, I think. The nubbly grey fabric of the body is the same though.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.