Saturday, October 9, 2021

Early October Doll Show, Part 2

  As I told you in Part 1, there was one dealer who had wonderful art dolls. I had seen her booth at a previous show, but I don't think I took any photos that time. (Don't worry. I made up for it this time!) Almost everything she had was artist made. She had a few random Kish dolls and maybe some Tonner at the one side of her booth, and some Wee Forest Folk figures, which you'll see below. But I'd say 90% of what she had was artist made, and a lot of it was one of a kind. You may have read the post where I talked about how my sister and I will look at certain things, and say, "We could make that." (And how Ivy finds that so insulting to the artists.) Well I looked at these and didn't say that once. I wanted everything she had, (including the Kish dolls and the Wee Forest Folk!), but could only afford a couple of tiny things.

The cat is about 5 inches tall.

  She had multiples of these things, so they were manufactured, I guess. They're still very cute and well made though. From the embroidery I almost think they had to have been hand made. But they were all alike, so not one of a kind.




  The dealer was Diane's Doll Shoppe, and apparently she had come all the way from Connecticut. 


  She has a website, in case you see something you like, or want to see what else she has. You can go to it HERE. She said she carries things from artists from all over the world. Unfortunately a lot of the dolls didn't have the artist's name on them. That's quite insulting to the artists, and also extremely unfair.  They put a lot of work into their dolls, and they deserve some credit. Also, what if you love their work and would like to search for more? Maybe the dolls didn't have the information on them when she got them though. Who knows? Some of the information included about the dolls here was obtained from the website.


The little anthropomorphic bulldog on the top row reminds me of the work of English artist Annie Montgomerie.

This tiger reminds me of the Annie's work too, but her work is a bit more detailed, and more, 'pre-dirtied',
 I suppose you would call it, and dressed in more retro funky styles.

The pug puppies up top are from Canada.

The kids in the middle are needle felted. The cats and pumpkin head people on the right are by Allen Cunningham. The brown bulldog is on her website. He's needle felted and made in Ukraine. No artist information though.

This sweet giraffe was very softly stuffed. I expected his legs to be hard, but they were so soft I was surprised he was standing. 

A better look at the Allen Cunningham figures.

The two on the left are by Marca. The Marca doll on the right of the two is called Veruca in Blue. They are about 10 inches tall and are $340 each.

The very depressed girl in front was made in Lithuania.

An Alice. She's expensive, so it's a good thing I didn't care for her very much. The nurse is by T. Antolick 

I think the squirrel is by T. Antolick. Looks like the unicorn and maybe the donkey and chipmunk are also by T Antolick.


Here's that squirrel again.

I love the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. They were made in Lithuania. The baby is on her website. There is no artist listed. She's just Little Girl in a Shoe.


Another Alice, and someone called 'Kitchen Pig'. Kitchen Pig was made in Russia. She fits in well with Alice. 

This guy is an R. John Wright doll.

The guy below, and probably the cats too, are also by R. John Wright.


The White Rabbit.


I have always loved Wee Forest Folk.

  I think my favourite item she had, or at least the one whose artistry amazed me the most, was this guy.


You can see every wrinkle in his snout under that hand rooted hair.

Look at his little tongue! I sent my sister a picture of him, and she was creeped out by his 'human eyes'.


  So that's it for the doll shows this year. I'll miss the last October one because I'll be at Lori's for her 60th birthday. I still have some interesting things to show you though. I'll be very busy in October, because Ivy is coming home soon! Plus going to Lori's. I'll still try to have the Doll Book of the Month Club entry up in time though. 

3 comments:

  1. The artistry of these OOAK dolls is amazing. Ironically, although I can appreciate the talent, I have no desire to own any of those, other than the little pink haired gal and the Wee Forest Folk. Different strokes, and just not my thing! I do enjoy looking at them, and your photos show the detail so nicely!
    On a totally different note, I just finished reading "Lucie Babbidge's House" (by Sylvia Cassedy, the author of "Behind the Attic Wall"), and it was haunting--but not in the "ghost" way. I've been thinking about the book/plot/themes for a few days now. Thanks for all your reviews--I can't wait to see what "we" are reading next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm always tempted by the odd and unusual.
      Would you recommend Lucy Babbidge? Glad you're enjoying the books. The next one will be a shorty, since I'm going away. We'll get into some more long ones soon though.

      Delete
  2. I would recommend Lucy Babbidge. I can’t imagine young readers with it, though. It took me a few days after finishing to digest what I’d read, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.