Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Ivy Goes to College

  We've been pretty busy lately, getting Ivy ready and stocked with stuff for college. I wanted to spend every available minute with her the last few weeks,if I could,because I am really going to miss her. She's my last baby. I know it's wrong to want to keep her here,but I've been dreading her leaving. The day finally came. On Friday we drove Ivy the 4+ hours to her new home for the next 4 years. We started out about 6 in the morning. Emma had had a very late night the night before,because she and a friend had driven to Detroit to a concert and got back in the wee hours of the morning. But she wanted to see Ivy off to college. Not that there wasn't some sleeping on the way.

 

Fuzzy was amazed Ivy was taking so much stuff, but Emma thought she was traveling pretty light. As it was we managed to fill the whole back of the car.
 

  So we arrived in time for the lunch and the welcoming ceremony. Ivy got herself sorted,and we met her roommate and her family. Ivy had things to attend,so we left her and went to pick up a few last minute things for her. And yes, I cried when we left. Hey, I had been doing well to hold it in for the last few months.
  I can't wait until she comes home.
  

4 comments:

  1. Awww I'd have cried too in your position. I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time at college though and you'll pat yourself on the back that you've done such a great job of bringing her up to be independent (as much as you might not feel like that at the moment). I used to cry so much about the fact that my son and his wife were in the UK and I was here in Spain, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's their life and I'd hate for them not be enjoying themselves and doing what they want to do.
    Keep your chin up (I was going to use the British expression 'Keep Your Pecker Up' but know it has an entirely different meaning in the US! ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often do you get to see your son? You must miss them a lot,but if they are like a lot of British people they probably make a lot of trips to Spain, yes? Our niece and her girlfriend are there nearly as much as they are in Yorkshire. No fear on the Britishisms. We're good with those around here! The kids grew up with both because Ken is English,and sometimes they don't even realize they are using British words or phrases that other Americans don't use. We always laugh about when the kids were little and one of them would yell,"Mommy!He/She called me a G-I-T!" How they knew how to spell it I'll never know.

      Delete
  2. Hang in there, mom! :) I don't think filling the back of a car is that much to take, especially if you're not making regular visits home.

    I wonder if I would feel this way if my youngest moved far away to go to school. Sure, eldest is married and out of the house, but she only lives about twenty minutes away. And youngest still lives at home and is taking classes at the community college. After that, she's thinking about transferring to Cleveland State, so she'd still be living at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Emma lives less that half an hour away now,but she went to college in San Fransisco. That took some getting used to,but we spent hours a day on Skype with her! I suppose we will get used to it eventually.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.