Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day and Some More Tiny Little Things

  Hello again. I hope all of you moms had a nice Mother's Day. For those of you in Europe,our Mother's Day was today. I have two of my kids here at home,so I spent time with them,and due to social distancing I did a video chat with Emma. I got some nice presents which I will show you when I can move freely again! Ivy made me pancake breakfast in bed,and later I broke with my LPR rules and had Mexican food, and brownies for dessert.
   I'm still laid up with a back spasm,although it's not as bad as yesterday. Ken put some pressure on it this morning and it eased enough that I was able to get some sleep, and I managed to take a shower today,(which was painful,but do-able). Still,I'm staying close to the bed and the bathroom, because if I go downstairs and my back stiffens,I may not be able to get back upstairs!
  As to what caused the back spasm,I suppose it was mowing the grass on Thursday evening. I was ok on Thursday night, but on Friday I had really bad back pain when on my feet for any length of time. I was washing dishes in the evening,when both sides of my back and my stomach all clenched,causing terrible pain. I finished most of the dishes and sat down for a while. By that time the pain had made me a bit sick and light headed. It took me back to my working days, when I used to work like that all the time! Then I got up yesterday feeling a little stiff, which is nothing abnormal. I went to the bathroom,got my pants on,and started to feed the cat. (We keep bowls upstairs for the one cat because he doesn't like to go downstairs. Of course, then the other cats, who get fed downstairs,eat all his food. Why not feed them all upstairs? Because they make such a mess,and because we don't have room in the upstairs bathroom for multiple bowls.) My back started clenching while I was bending over feeding them, and when I tried to refill their water bowl I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stand there at the sink and fill it, let alone bend over and sit it on the floor. Cleaning the litter box was an interesting experience as well!
  I seem to always have some physical problem,don't I? Really, I don't feel I'm sick that often.
  It occurred to me that I should have shared the recipe for the Super Crust.(Not my recipe.It's by Cooking With Italian Joe. So here's the link to the YouTube video where I got it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUg0WpFNvI4
  If you don't want to watch the video you can find the written recipe at: https://cookingitalianwithjoe.com/pie-crust-3/
  There was also another picture I forgot to include in the last post. This is more stuff I started and haven't finished. These are a bunch of partially finished and nearly finished mini doll cases, clothes, hangers,and one weird doll. The battery is an AAA one, for size reference.
 
And also the red thing in the upper right corner is a purse I started,but the cardboard I used is too thick to let it close properly. Other than that it was going pretty well. Maybe if I used heavy duty glue to put the sides together...
 I leave some of these things before they're finished because I decide part of the way through that they just aren't working out for one reason or another. Some of these cases were made with paper that was too thick, so they wouldn't close properly. Some of them had drawers that I wasn't pleased with. Some I didn't like what I did for hinges. I might get back to them someday. That doll will look better when it's finished...I hope. I thought a couple of those dresses turned out well.I have a lace collar cut out for one of them, but haven't put it on yet.
I also started this felted cat. I don't have any felting needles,so I faked one up by cutting nicks in a thin wire. It sort of worked. The cat is pretty solid. I didn't finish him though. His tail isn't fully attached and isn't trimmed to size. Oh. And he has no face.


He does have tiny ears. No legs though.


  Well, hopefully tomorrow I will be back to normal, or at least close enough to function.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day twice. I like the idea of two celebrations.

    Thanks for posting even though you don't feel well. I hope you were able to get some rest today.

    I love seeing tiny things. Having the battery in the photo really puts the objects in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. I am trying to keep up with posting. I can have a tendency to get lazy. That's the one thing about the daily posts: It forces me to keep up with it and get something done.

      Delete
  2. I call these things (unfinished projects) good starts.Learning what doesn't seem to work helps me to what might, or who might know how. Hope your back is feeling better. Mine tweaks me but mostly doing yard-work and climbing ladders.I adore your little black cat..I'd love to make one for my dolls as I have a 5 year old rescue that if you added two gold beads to your kitty would be my Jack.Loving your mini bits and bobs. I've got some of mine stashed in the attic of one of my doll houses, so it looks like my dolls are doll hoarders too.Enjoying your post/blog very much. Thanks so much.God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know they were lessons in how not to do things! I like instant gratification though, and I'm like Young Sherlock Holmes in the movie of the same name, learning to play the violin: right away i think,"I should have mastered it by now."
      I could attempt to make you a cat like you need. This one is actually brown. I don't know how well I'd do it though. I haven't tried putting legs on this one yet. Have you tried felting? Honestly, something this simple doesn't seem very hard.

      Delete
  3. No never..I have the attention span of a gnat,great energy at the start but poor follow through. (Or maybe get too distracted.Thanks for the offer on the kitty but yours is so unique, like a dark chocolate fuzzy, I will delay more projects till I clear a path in my Hobby space. Can't set a foot in the door.First stacked bins/tags dolls..Etc..It's hard to try to figure out how many dolls I have with em so "all over".I did clear some space by putting two or three doll houses on a covered porch but..my hubby having surgery Monday was.. Hello..reset. Your blogs are such an inspiration when I see how you sort through and take pics and do links. I have tagged several dolls by your doll-a-days already.My hubby printed up log sheets so I can try tog get them into groups, then one day onto the computer. But seems that might be back-ward as I see you and A Thousand Splendid Dolls, and Vanda Jenson /Dolls DollsDolls.net w/ photos.Maybe you could tell me how you sort all your lovely bits out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I never answered you. I'm sorry! How do I sort things out? I'm not sure in what way you mean that. I have containers for the small stuff, but probably nobody except me would understand the sorting methods. I group like things together, such as prints of fabric, types of jewelry findings, etc. I have containers for unfinished things, sorted by how far finished they are. My doll tubs are a mixed lot, although I have tried to sort them with similar or related dolls together. In the end though, it comes down to what will fit in what tub! I should photograph the dolls with make identification sheets so if anything happens to me my family knows what they have and how much it might be worth. I say that, but I'll never get around t it.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear that you're still suffering with your back spasm, that's horrible. I hope that by the time you read this, you'll be feeling better and in less pain.
    Those are very tiny little things you've started making there, but would try my patience being so small. I used to make very small things for my dolls house but not sure I would be able to see them properly now!

    I hope you had a great Mother's Day though, despite the pain.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back is much better now. Thanks. I even mowed my yard yesterday!
      Believe me,it's much harder doing this small stuff now than it was a few years ago when I started some of these things! I need my magnifying Ott light more than ever.

      Delete
  5. I like seeing all the tiny things you have made. I have some of these in crochet, but I unravel most of my false starts, so I don't have them still. I love making animals using #10 cotton to see how small they will get, but my eyes have gotten to where its too hard. I have a magnifying visor, but trying to see just makes my eyes hurt. I will get back to crocheting, I go in spurts of interest and right now my interest is doll blogs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used it for a while, because I really haven't made anything very tiny in ages, but I have an Ott Lite, which has a magnifying piece that is under the light, so you're hands go under it when you work. You'd have to crochet at a tabel to use one though.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.