Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day!

  Happy Mother's Day! 

'Tammy World' and her mom, Dolly.

For those of us in the United States today is Mother's Day. I celebrate being a mother now, since I no longer have a mother, but I do have three children. All I ask of the day is to spend it with them. I wanted to be a mom all my life. I was beginning to think I'd never have that chance, when, at 26 I hadn't even gone on a date, let alone found the man I would spend the rest of my life with. Things happen when you least expect them though. Once I had resigned myself to being alone, I met Ken, and the rest is history. Emma was born a couple of years after we got married, and Fuzz and Ivy followed at 4 year intervals.

The three reasons I celebrate Mother's Day: Ivy, Emma, and Fuzzy.
I was a stay at home Mom, and I loved it. I have so many happy memories of the kids growing up. The time goes by so fast, and my 'baby' is 15 years old. I've had to learn to relate differently to my kids now. They're not just my kids any more: They're other grown ups. I used to be able to teach them things.Now of course, they think I don't know what I'm talking about. I suppose I went through the same thing with my mom.

My beautiful mom.
Me, Mom, and my sister, Christmas, 1968.
Everybody reaches that age where they think their parents don't know squat.
  So Happy Mother's Day to all you Mother's out there.



Hang in there. There will come a time when your kids realize that you do know squat...

2 comments:

  1. Love your pictures! I am a stay-at-home mom myself, and was also a homeschooling mom for a time. One of my daughters is out on her own, and one is sixteen and still has some years left here. Hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I would have loved to have more current pictures of my kids, but all three don't get together very often Unfortunately I forgot to take any on Mother's Day too! I was working in the yard the evening I took the doll pictures,and I was afraid the light was too far gone by the time I got around to taking them. As it was I was pretty happy with the way they turned out.
      I had a great day. Fuzz brought me candy and even lowered himself to spending some time with us! Emma came over and brought me presents, including a really cool Alice in Wonderland watch necklace.The rest of the day was spent hanging out with the kids, (and Ken, when he got home from work.), watching "Lost World", (the Jurassic Park one.) on Blu-ray on Emma's big screen tv, and eating brie!
      I home schooled Ivy the year before she was to start kindergarten. The idea was to prepare her for first grade, since she was already too far for Kindergarten. (She was already spelling and doing math.) I thought she'd be so bored in Kindergarten, since she was already so far. The idea was that then she could skip kindergarten and just start in first grade. I had her reading,doing addition, subtraction, and some simple fractions and multiplication. When the time came we had her tested for first grade, but she tested 11 points too low for first grade. 11 points! How many kids are that close to first grade when they are most of the way through kindergarten?! They said they also didn't like to let kids skip grades because they would be so much younger than the other kids in their class. Well Ivy turned 6 in November after starting Kindergarten, so she was OLDER than most of the other kids for a large portion of the year. A few people told us that the real reason the school didn't like to let kids skip grades was because they were afraid the kids might flunk and bring down the grade average and they would lose state funding or something. I'm sure you know what Ohio schools are like. For the sake of 11 points Ivy had to go to kindergarten, where her math and reading skills deteriorated terribly. (This was the class room with a hand written note on the door that said, "...Lock is broke.", until I got so frustrated I found a pen and added an n! For Heaven's sake! This is a school, and you're saying 'the lock is broke'?!)

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.