Thursday, November 29, 2018

Finally that anniversary present! Ron Weasley

  I have been promising to show you my anniversary present for ages! It kept getting put off because I had leaves to rake. But I won the battle with the leaf sucker truck this year! I've had my leaves raked for ages! Of course, I threw my shoulder out and re-aggrevated my bad wrist in the process,but it's done. Ivy was home from college for a few days right before Halloween and again around Thanksgiving. In between we went to Indiana for her birthday. Emma and I went to see Fleetwood Mac, which I insisted on calling Fleetwood Neil,since Neil Finn joined. (I still find that bizarre.) Lori had her heart problems and then her father passed away. There has been a lot going on around here the past few months,much of it bad. That's why it has taken me ages to do this post.
  Finally I have my act together and here is my anniversary present:


Ron Weasley from Harry Potter. There are six dolls in the series, which just came out this year: Harry,Ron, Hermione, Ginny,Dumbledore, and McGonagall. While there are always tons of the kids on the shelves,the two adults are the short case pack items,and are often sold out.


Ron is my favourite character in the Harry Potter books. He has the best lines in the books,adds some nice comic relief,and is the underdog type I always root for.


Plus he has red hair. We've gotta stick together you know.


  Of the three main characters I always felt Rupert Grint was the best actor,who had the most chance of a long career. The other two did get better over time,but as kids I think he was the most talented.
  I was really glad to see that there was another Ron in the playline dolls. There hasn't been one since Mattel's original line of HP dolls, way back when the first movie was released in 2001. (Wow! Has it really been that long?!) That line included Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The lines that followed only included Harry and Hermione. (I'm not including the action figures or Legos.)The best likeness of the three was the Ron, who really did look like Rupert Grint. (I actually have all three of the original dolls,but I have misplaced them.) UPDATE: Found them! See below.The new line is the same: Ron is the best likeness to the actor who played the part. Maybe Rupert Grint just has an easy face to copy to a doll.


Original Mattel Ron on the left. New Mattel Ron on the right. 
He comes with his wand, which seems to be the repaired version.

The original dolls were much smaller than the new ones. They were made with the bodies used for the Gymnast Stacie doll,and were about 8" tall.

Original Mattel Ron with new Mattel Ron.


The new Ron at least, is about 10" tall


His hair is actually a separate piece that's glued onto his head.


The kids all come in their school uniforms,which were a movie thing entirely. In the books the kids didn't wear school uniforms. I don't know why they decided to change that for the movies. Ken commented that their uniforms are very similar to the one he wore when he was in school.(Well Ken,aren't most British school uniforms pretty similar?) The original Mattel dolls also wore the school uniforms and robes,but they had a more realistic set of clothes. The tie was separate, the shirt and sweater vest were two pieces too. (Since Harry and friends are English, maybe I should say 'jumper' instead of sweater?) The new dolls have a one piece sweater/shirt/tie.
 

The tie is printed on,as are the stripes on his sweater...


...and the sweater and shirt are all one piece,except for the sewn on cotton shirt collar.  I was disappointed with it. This cheapens the look of the dolls,which are otherwise pretty impressive.
  The sweater and shirt themselves are made of a more stretchy fabric than the collar.The sweater/shirt closes in the back with Velcro.


The pants,(Or should I say 'trousers',as  'pants' are underwear in England.),also close in the back with Velcro. The Velcro is nice and flat,and doesn't make the bulge in back that you used to get with doll pants' Velcro.
   The pants also have some actual stitching detail in the fly area. 


Since it follows the real join in the fabric there is also an actual join where the fly would open. Nice touch. It's little details like that that make these a bit more upscale than a lot of play dolls.


Like the old Mattel dolls,the new dolls are articulated,only more than the old ones.


Ron is jointed at the neck,shoulders, elbows,wrists,hips,and knees.His legs can move to the sides too.



 So can his arms.





  He has great detail in his shoes too.

I'm impressed that they bothered to give them this much detail on the bottoms.
 

The shoes have a split in the back to make them easier to get on and off.
  His hands are quite realistic.


The right hand is made to be able to hold his wand.



And the left isn't.




He also came with his robe,which I almost forgot to photograph him in!



 The robe fabric is a bit heavy and stiff, It has a hood,which at least lays flat.

Looks like Ron is headed for the Room of Requirement.
  His robe has the Griffindor crest.


These versions of Ron and friends are a bit older than the original dolls. Those dolls were first year students. These are obviously not, since Ginny has now joined them at Hogwarts. These seem a bit younger than the first Tonner Potter dolls though. You may have seen my Tonner Ron HERE.



I think Harry and Ron are the same size. If it had been done authentically to the movie or the book, Ron would be taller.




The original Ron became pretty hard to find. Harry and Hermione were plentiful. Emma was a Potter nerd well before the movies came out, and she got all three dolls when they were released. It took me a while to find all three though,since I waited around and got mine second hand. Ron took me the longest.



Since I like boy dolls and I collect red haired dolls, collecting Rons was a given I guess.

No socks. Gross.

I missed out on the Star Ace Ron when he was affordable. Hopefully one of these days I'll find a deal.


His wand is rubber banded to his hand, and for now at least, I'm leaving it that way.  





Although they gave Ron his very orange hair, the Ginny doll's hair is practically brown.




  So there you have it. Finally! There will be a lot of posts coming at you one after the other after this. There will be a series on vintage dolls and toys,a review of the latest from Maru and Friends,and before you know it, the return of Doll-A-Day. Stay tuned.              

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your Ron, a very nice anniversary present.
    I must admit that I'm not a Harry Potter fan and haven't seen any of the films or read any of the books, although I was always tripping over a pile of the books when my son was young as he was always reading and re-reading them! I do like the dolls though, although I do not have any of them. I like this Ron and went to look at your Tonner one, he is super cute too. Both dolls are very much like the actor that played him. I like the school uniform and yes, it's very much like most school uniforms in the UK. My son's was just like this except his jumper didn't have the stripes and his tie was, if I remember rightly, grey with just gold stripes. Makes it very easy to get their uniforms in the big shops instead of just from the expensive school outfitters!!!
    And I didn't realise that they didn't wear school uniforms in the books (though I guess there's no reason why I'd know one way or the other) because the majority of schools in the UK do tend to wear uniforms.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken's uniform was gray with a gray tie with blue and a thin white stripe. We actually have his last school jacket and tie. We actually read all the books as a family. I got the first one as a family gift for the Christmas right after Ivy was born in November. I remember holding her as she slept when I started reading the first book to Emma and Fuzzy. Somewhere along the way Ken sat in, and we all got hooked. After that we weren't allowed to read without Ken! We would read at night after he got home from work,and during the summer we would stay up very late reading. I would get so sleepy,(I had a new baby,after all, who NEVER slept through the night for her whole first year.),that I would actually fall asleep while I was reading...and keep on reading! I'd wake up at the end of a chapter and have no idea what had happened in the book! I had to catch up the next day while I nursed Ivy. We read the books as a family, even after Emma started getting her own copies of the books. When we finished she reread all of the books at least once,probably more.

      Delete
    2. That is a lovely story of reading the books. My son always said "you should read these books mum, you'd love them!" But I never liked that kind of story, so I didn't read them.
      On Friday I went into the toy department of El Corte Inglais which is a posh (and expensive) Spanish department store chain and there on the shelf were lots of the dolls from Harry Potter, including the adults. It was lovely to see them in real life. I didn't buy any though I did enjoy looking :)

      Delete
    3. They really were good books. There were some weak points where you had to say,"Well why didn't they just..." But still, great reads!

      Delete
  2. Great doll. I did not realize either that there were no uniforms in the books... Is there not some mentioning of the "Gryffindor colours" and that each kid needed dress robes? At least the uniform were on illustrations in front of the books or is my brain tricking me into imagining that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the books the kids were always wearing jeans and things. The covers of the original books showed them wearing jeans and Harry always wore a rugby shirt. They were supposed to have dress robes for the ball. The cover of the British version of the first book shows Harry wearing a jacket and school scarf,but it does say they are wearing jeans in the books. Maybe later covers pictured them in uniforms.

      Delete
  3. I must have imagined that there were uniforms on the covers, as the kids are mostly wearing normal clothes, robes and sports's clothes. But on the cover og my "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" book, Harry is wearing a white shirt, grey jacket and a tie in the Gryffindor colours (is the front picture, in front of the Hogwarts Express, not supposed to be before he goes to Hogwarts and gets sorted into Griffindor?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the British cover. I'm not sure how to interpret that. The American covers always had Harry in jeans and a rugby shirt, and I do remember us discussing,when the movies came out,that they had changed the kids to wearing uniforms when they don't in the books. Ken thought maybe it was for the public's benefit,since everybody always thinks of British school kids in uniforms.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your anniversary gift. As my husband is imaginary, we don't get to celebrate anniversaries so I love to hear what other people do (laugh).
    I thought I was going to be the only who never read Harry Potter or saw any movies but Sharon beat me to it. I never saw ET either.
    I am looking forward to your upcoming postings. Doll news, yeaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your reviews! I have this doll too and was interested to see your review. You also take great posed shots! I wouldn't mine paying this price if all Mattel dolls had this level of articulation. I can understand why they don't offer is option. I need to purchase the rest of the dolls in the set. I totally agree about Jenny's hair. She will be the last on I get if I get her because of that reason. I too like red-hair dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I didn't really do a full delving into all his posablity etc. because I figured the dolls had been out so long by now that it was old news. He was fun to post though. I really wanted a stone wall that looked like the interior of Hogwarts to pose him in front of.One of these days I'm going to make one! I'd like to have the others too, except I'm not sure about Dumbledore's rubber beard. I think the Ginny is a pretty good likeness to the actress,but what were they thinking with her hair? The whole thing about the hair was that all the Weasley's had really red hair.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you have Ron and the younger brother Ron never had. lol My son and I are Potter fans too. I keep meaning to re-read the books but I start and get side tracked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.