Sunday, June 7, 2020

An Update on 'Dale Leroy", and Other Things

 It's been a terrible week. Hasn't it? But we all have to remember that things have been terrible for a long time. If what's happened lately makes a difference,it might be worth it. I just fear that things will be just the same when this all calms down. I never cease to be stunned at how people can think that people aren't all just people,that they can treat anybody differently for any reason. my dad taught me that "You treat everybody the same." It's a shame not everybody teaches their children that.
  I usually try to keep the blog light,but I felt I couldn't post without mentioning what's been going on, because it's too important to ignore. To return to 'my happy place',I thought I'd show you the progress on some of the dolls I'm making. Some of you may remember my attempt at a felt face doll.  Well he still needs shoes,hair, and his face painted, but he now has clothes!


I had been working on him, but I stopped to work on Emma's birthday present. I'll show you that in an upcoming post. But this guy got a shirt and some bibbed overalls.

That stitching is terrible.
  Ivy scolded me for gluing the clothes on these guys. I tried to tell her how hard it is to sew these tiny things, especially when I don't sew very well. But now that she's a professional seamstress,(She gets paid for sewing costumes,so that makes her a professional.),she thinks I should sew everything. I appeased her by sewing this guy's clothes. I sewed everything except his pants cuffs...


...which are rolled up and glued,his shoulder straps, which were too tiny to sew,and his shirt collar...
 
...which was so narrow that sewing it was just causing the fabric to unravel on the edges.



  I sewed most of his clothes one night while Ivy and I watched a Betty Hutton movie called "Spring Reunion". Even for an old movie that one overdid the old movie thing about casting people too old for roles. The people were supposed to be at their 15th high school reunion, and they all looked closer to 45 than 33. And considering they were only supposed to be 33,people kept asking Betty Hutton,"Why did you never get married?" She was only 33!
   I think I'm going to call him Dale Leroy. My mom always wanted a little boy. She wanted him to have red hair,wear overalls and 'big yellow work boots',like my dad always wore...

Kind of like these, only taller.
...and she wanted to name him 'Dale Leroy'. (Leroy was my dad's name.) I always appreciated I wasn't a boy, so I didn't have to have that name. Not long ago somebody pointed out to me that she could have named a girl Dale. I'm glad my mom didn't think of that. (Apologies to anybody named Dale,but that name is just not for me.)
  The other thing I've been working on, besides Emma's present, was putting some wire bodies on a couple of the heads I had made and painted. I showed you the heads in a previous post. Well here is the first one to get a body.

Like Dale Leroy,this one is about 4 inches tall.
As you can see,I also got as far as the arms the other night.




Yes, he has a goofy face. A lot of my people come out that way.


  So that's it for this post. Until next time,remember to be good to others. We are all only humans.

9 comments:

  1. I think it's alright to post on timely matters. What is going on in the world impacts us all.

    Dale Leroy is coming along nicely. I think it's fine to glue on clothing that is never going to be removed. I don't sew so I would definitely be reaching for the glue gun (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for mentioning what's going on in the world Tam, I want to mention things too but always shy away from it...so I am pleased that you have more guts than me. I am with you though, why on earth does the colour of our skin matter? I mean it's really only a very thin layer of what we are anyway, isn't it! And if you cut me you get the exact same colour inside than anyone else. Or anything else that is different for that matter.

    I like your little Leroy, he is coming along nicely and no, far too small to be sewing....tell Ivy that when she is professionally sewing this small she can berate you for using the glue gun ;)

    I love the face on the head you're currently giving a body to. He has a really funny expression and it works very well.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon.Yes, that paper clay guy has a crazy face!
      Go ahead and say what you feel Sharon. If they don't like it they don't have to read your blog.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! My sewing is awful really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Dale isn't too awful a name. I swear God gave me sister two sons, simply because she was going to name her daughter Paulina Maude. Her last name was Magenhofer. She should have been brought up on charges of child abuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That would have been a doozy of a name!

      Delete
  5. This is a sad entry and I have a sucky memory so not sure what happened this day. But we had a lot happen the last few years related to color of skin. I never understand any of it. We have a few too many people saying the quiet parts OUT LOUD these days. I wish they would crawl back in the wood work they were hiding in.

    In better news, what a cool doll! I like his silly face. But I LOVE his outfit. And its fun to see how you make your dolls from the wire up. Trust me, its not going to lead to a bunch of people copying. I will definitely stick to my yarn and stuffing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Black Lives Matter protests.
      You don't think people will say, "I could make that." (Wink!)

      Delete
    2. LOL, I won't be saying it, that's for sure!

      And the sad thing is I didn't know WHICH incident you were talking about. So much wrong during that time. :(

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.