Monday, June 15, 2020

Some Stuff About Doll Washing

  Thanks to everybody who said such nice things about the Kermit ornament. You guys are going to make me conceited! I do appreciate what you said, because I always down everything I make. I'm never satisfied with how anything turns out. I need my confidence boosted.
  Just a note to Raging Moon here. I don't know if you got my email,but the Lee Middleton doll is waiting. If you don't want it, that's fine. Just let me know, so I can make the offer again and someone else can take him. 
  Now! I've had a request, One of our newest readers asked for details of my Doll Spa treatments. So this post is going to cover that. It really isn't any big deal. I'm also sure I do things that are not recommended by experts! So you have been warned!
  Not all dolls are able to be submerged, of course. Some dolls can only take a wipe down,and even then you have to be careful what you use to wipe them with. If a doll,such as a modern or vintage  vinyl or rubber doll, can be actually 'washed',as in, with soap and water',the first thing I do is make sure the water is warm, but not too hot. Warm water cuts the grease and filth. I'm always afraid water that is too hot might damage the paint or even the plastic, or loosen the paint,. If the doll is very dirty, I start with dish soap. Dish soap is made to cut grease and stuck on crud, so it works well on dolls.
 
This mildew covered Tammy from a yard sale washed up quite easily.
That's her in the middle,with the rest of the dolls and some of the clothes that  I got at that yard sale. You can see that post HERE.
If the doll is fairly clean, and just needs a general cleaning, I'll just use the same shampoo I'm going to wash the hair in anyway.
  As for the shampoo, I use the cheap stuff on dolls. I usually use one of the really cheap Suave,VO5,  or White Rain shampoos for normal hair.


I never use the shampoo for oily hair because that Suave 'grease cutter shampoo'  really strips your hair. I only use it on my hair if I've had to skip washing my hair for a day, because it does get oily. But then I have to heavily condition the ends, which are far from my head.
  I wash the doll thoroughly. If there is surface dirt that doesn't come off with a simple wash, I get out the baby toothbrush. You really have to be careful even with a soft baby toothbrush though. Don't use it on vintage Barbie eyes or lips. It's possible to scuff the paint.
  If the dirt is still stubborn I use baking soda for things like vintage Barbie and family bodies and limbs,(But not the face!). I've used baking soda on MANY Skipper legs. Be careful using baking soda. It's mild, but it's still an abrasive. Of course, don't use it on shiny surfaces, like plastic dolls. Never use it on Barbie faces,or other doll faces made of soft material. Also be careful not to use it where there are painted nails,or other painted surfaces. So you can use it on vintage Barbie legs, but not those painted toenails! It works best if you make a paste of baking soda and water, and use that as a scrub on a baby toothbrush.  I find baking soda can be good for scrubbing rubber doll legs too. Just be careful.

This dirty $2.50 Francie from the flea market...

...cleaned up into this pretty girl.(Plus she got some new blush and a lip touch up.) You can see her post HERE for more pictures.

  As I said, I wash the hair with cheap Suave,VO5, or White Rain shampoo. Then I do something I have heard many times that I shouldn't: I condition it with the matching scent of cheap Suave,VO5, or White Rain conditioner. For especially bad hair I use a better quality conditioner, like the one I use on my own hair, Fructis. I know! I'm supposed to use fabric softener! Supposedly human conditioner can build up in the doll hair and make it...gunky. But I don't like fabric softener, and I don't use it on my clothes either. Smells bother me. Some make me cough,or get a sore throat,or even a headache. Most just annoy me. I don't like the smell of fabric softener. It's also more chemical crap that I don't need or want in my life or future ground water. I've had enough cancer scares in the last few years, that I am super wary of artificial scents anyway. (They're highly toxic.) So fabric softener is not going to happen. I haven't had a problem with using human conditioner. I know they say human conditioner doesn't penetrate the artificial fibers of doll hair, and fabric softener works much better. I have done pretty well with what I use though. I make sure the doll hair is drippy-wet. Then I use the conditioner. If the hair is really ratty and tangled,I leave the conditioner in, and comb the hair out. When it's untangled I thoroughly rinse out all the conditioner with warm water. (Conditioner is basically hair oil,so to rise it out you have to use warm water to cut through the grease.) I make sure the hair isn't getting retangled when I rinse the conditioner out. I keep running my fingers through the hair as I rinse it. I usually like to give the hair another run through with the comb once it's rinsed. Then I usually squeeze the hair out, gently, and leave the doll to dry. With some hair I don't even squeeze it out. I just leave it to drip dry. This is for hair that I don't want to lose it's shape,like curly hair,or hair with a nice wave.

This Animator's Collection Merida came from Goodwill. This is before she got the spa treatment. She had dry, matted hair,and green marker 'accents'.

She was a hard save, but she looked at least this much better after her spa day. Even most of the green marker came off with a baking soda scrub. You can see her whole post HERE.
  But what about cloth bodied dolls? I have also heard that you aren't supposed to wash dolls like American Girl because water can become trapped in their plastic limbs and form bacteria. But I have a thing about second hand items. I like them. I have loads of second hand items. As I sit here, I am surrounded by second hand things: fabrics, knick-knacks,dolls,doll furniture,vintage blankets,etc. But I'll tell you one thing: they've all been washed! I am really paranoid about second hand things,and I wash everything I can possibly wash! If something is going to spend it's life in the glass case, I'll let it go if it looks nice. But second hand books get their own book case,and most things get washed. Call me weird. (My family does.) I love old things, so this paranoia makes life difficult sometimes!
  But back to the dolls. I like things sanitized, and spraying it with disinfectant just doesn't do it for me. If I'm selling a doll to someone for their child,I want them to know it's clean and sanitary if that child puts the toy in their mouth. So I wash dolls like American Girl,Bitty Baby etc. The thing about that is, you have to drain them properly. More on that in a minute. 
  I have washed many dolls like that. You may have read my post on washing dolls like that HERE. I don't run them through the wash cycle of the washing machine. I hand wash them in laundry soap,rinse them completely,and then run them through the spin cycle of the machine. The trick to that is,always put the machine on SPIN ONLY, (You don't want the agitator running, and some machines agitate on 'rinse and spin'.), place the doll in a knotted pillow case, and place in the machine FACING the agitator. That may sound like a bad idea, but that insures that when the machine spins the dolls face isn't thrown against the machine. Centrifugal force will throw the doll's back against the outside of the tub,protecting the face. Do this on a very hot,sunny day, and place the dolls outside to dry. The other very important thing to remember is to turn the dolls repeatedly while they're drying. Water gets in the head and limbs. The doll can feel dry until they are moved, and water runs out. And,as mentioned above, you don't want water sitting in their limbs or head and growing bacteria. I usually hang the dolls from the clothesline, or prop the dolls upright,with their arms and legs in the air. Their position is changed over and over until no wet spots show up when they are turned.

These guys are draining on the line. They then sat upright, turned on their heads,and various other tricks, until they were completely drained. You can see their post HERE.
 Do not submerge dolls with metal eyes! Vintage dolls with tin eyes, or plastic eyes with a metal interior can't be washed like this! The metal eyes will rust,leaving you with a very jaundiced looking doll, or worse!
  Dolls that can't be submerged in water can be cleaned using other methods. I have found that baby wipes work very well on dolls like Tutti and friends. (You may have to use a fingernail in the wipe to get off really stubborn dirt on the torso and limbs.) They can leave the doll sticky though, so you may have to go over the doll with a damp cloth afterward to remove the residue. Just make sure it's not much more than damp. Tutti's body and limbs contain wires that you don't want getting wet. They'll rust and ruin your doll. There are ways to clean vintage hard plastic and composition dolls, but I haven't tried them.
  I'm no expert, so keep that in mind. There are many others who know more than I do. Here's an  article to get you started:
How to Clean Vinyl and Hard Plastic Dolls

24 comments:

  1. My goodness, I'd forgotten all about the doll! Yes, I'm still interested in him I'll jump on the email right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the conditioner. I use it exclusively for doll hair. I find that it is a better for detangling, and the fabric softener leaves a waxy residue that can dull the appearance of the hair fibers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that about fabric softener. I thought most doll people used it to wash the hair. Good to know.

      Delete
  3. I love the babies drying on the line!

    I agree with you. I like to wipe things down, especially now.

    This information is very helpful. I don't like to use perfumey things on my dolls either. I hate when I purchase an outfit online and it comes smelling like fabric softener. I always ask the vendor if there are any odors associated with an outfit before I purchase it. I guess some folks think that odors are only bad smelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Not all things someone considers good smelling smell good to someone else. I know people who love the smell of dryer sheets,and they make me sick!

      Delete
  4. One good use for the "grease cutter" shampoo is soaking your pillow cases before you throw them in the machine. (Or am I the only one who gets those awful yellow grease spots on pillow cases?) My hair is dreadfully oily and The Squire perspires so that sometimes I even have to wash the bottom sheets with shampoo! Ah, TMI, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! That's great advice. Ken sweats the sheets gray and the pillow case yellow! I'll have to try that!

      Delete
  5. Basic works.I use what I have.Sometimes a swab w/ witch hazel just to clear off the face (IF it's really grimey) till i can see what issues might be there.I have swabbed a few smokey smelling dolls, w/ tomato juice but that's just because it's something that makes me sneeze.I reuse the conditioner that comes w/ hair color in a squeeze bottle w/water like I do my hair gel.I love my basic rescued dolls and don't go crazy w/ the cleaning,I try dry, wiping off w/ a soft cloth first, and soak outfits only if they need it.I've had more issues w/ storing my dolls than anything..always need new hacks/tricks for that,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to clean them,but there are some you just can't,without ruining them.

      Delete
  6. Oh those poor wee things hanging on the line! The photo did make me smile though Tam. :)
    I don't often purchase dolls in poor condition, but if I do find one that smells off, or has unruly hair, they always get the spa treatment . . . I don't like dirty dolls at all.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days it looks like a torture chamber out there!

      Delete
  7. The "before" pic of Tammy cracks me up..poor thing.The babies on the line remind me of when I surface cleaned a Cabbage Patch kid and hung it to dry and someone stole it off the line.Meant to ask did you keep Merida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I kept Merida. I love the Animator's dolls, and she's one I wanted most. Maybe someday I can upgrade,but for now she'll have to do.

      Delete
  8. This is perfect, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I wouldn't use it on my hair, I won't touch my dolls with it. Especially not Suave. That stuff is harsher than just using dish soap (Dawn is my default for washing most doll hair to get the crud out before I treat it). I found a Downy fragrance free fabric softener and I rarely do an actual "dunk" with the downy...I've instead watered it down and add a little to a spray bottle to use as hairspray when I'm working on a doll's hair. it's no miracle cure, but it's meant for synthetic fiber. Human conditioners and shampoos are not. I've never had fabric softener leave residue except in one doll's hair and she was an American Girl I could not submerge to do a proper rinse out with Dawn after the dunk. Mental note not to fabric softener AG dolls again unless I'm already taking the eyes out to replace. Ahah.
    My latest trick for 80s Barbies who are prone to the frizzball hair and tend to lose their shine over time has actually been a combo of the unscented fabric softener and a diluted Garnier Max Hold hair gel 1 part gel, 3 parts water. It does away with the statics and adds a little extra shine. I have a Fun to Dress Barbie whose hair is so glossy and soft after that treatment, my housemate couldn't believe I hadn't rerooted her entirely.
    Second, I prefer to remove the head and unstuff the body if I'm going to wash an American Girl or Bitty Baby type of doll, it shortens the draining process because I can then drain each limb from inside, do not risk getting water in the metal mechanisms of the eyes that may make them sticky/discolored or get water up under the wig cap... and if the doll is filthy enough to require more than just a simple wipe of the vinyl with a magic eraser, I'd rather restuff her with fresh cotton-poly stuffing than risk not quite getting her stuffing clean/dry. Never know what's hiding in the stuffing and don't like to risk it.
    Anyway, just my take on the whole thing. You do you, I'll do me.

    Side note on the Downy, I live with a gal who is severely allergic to almost all fragrances in laundry treatments and air fresheners. I won't bring something in the house (even my favorite shampoo) if I think it's going to set her off. The Downy "Free and Clear" fabric softener does not set off her allergies whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all will do what works for us. I'm fine with the Suave shampoo, but Dawn takes the skin off my hands. It's different for everybody. I can only say what works for me. Thanks for your information.

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean to come off obnoxious if I did, sorry. I was on my way to work and had to abruptly cut off without proofreading. Oops.
      Shame the Dawn does that to your hands. I have issues with Suave causing a nasty rash if I get it anywhere other than the palms of my hands...didn't always, it just started doing that a couple of years back so...I avoid it and most other cheap shampoos anymore. Which was why I even looked into other ways to care for dolls' hair.

      Delete
    3. No problems. I can see your problem with Suave if it causes that! Everybody has their own methods.I guess they'll all have to work it our for themselves. I always figure the cheaper shampoos are weaker,so would be less likely to hurt a doll. Just find what works for you.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for all this information. I absolutely LOVE your Francie, she turned out really beautiful. I love this face and wish I could get my hands on one here in Europe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are Francies hard to get in Spain? Didn't they sell that face sculpt over there? If this virus is ever over and Ken and I get to go to England,you could buy one online and have us bring it over to ship. That would save you some money.

      Delete
  11. I haven't had to wash any dolls yet because all of mine are in box. I won't pay ridiculous prices for them though. I would like to visit some of our second hand stores now that I started collecting again so I will keep this post in mind. We have garage sales here in SoCal, but they tend to price things like they are antique stores and I don't even live somewhere like Beverly Hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our thrift stores are like that sometimes. they have forgotten that 'thrift' is in their name!

      Delete
  12. Sooooo I went to a doll show the other day and I bought these silver Barbie sized mic stands. When I started washing everything the next day, I used baking soda to wash them thinking it would be okay but it ruined them completely, making them look kind of gray and cloudy. Is there anyway I can fix this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I'm seeing seems to say that baking soda can cause oxidation on aluminum, (which I think those old mic stands were), causing it to darken. I would say that's what happened. I can't seem to find anything that tells how to reverse the effects. You might not be able to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.