Friday, June 19, 2020

Paul McCartney gets a repaint for his birthday

     Today (June 18th) is Paul McCartney's 78th birthday. This post was going to be for last year. I got this Kumik doll head last year, for my birthday,I think. 




But I didn't have a body for it. Ken got me a body last Easter,but the neck attachment was wrong for this head. Then he got me another one last Christmas, but the head has a long neck, and it wouldn't fit that body either. 




  So I didn't think I was going to get him posted this year either. Then, yesterday I realized the extra neck peg in the body I was using for the Michael Caine head I have could pop off,leaving the neck peg that worked for this head! Yay! Now I have a body for this one,and hopefully Michael Caine will fit one of the other two spare bodies I now have. I also wanted to do some repainting. You see, I found the head online,and Ken bought it for me. It was supposed to be a Paul McCartney head. But when I got it, the same sculpt was selling as a Tobey Maguire  head,and the one I received had BLUE EYES.


Scary blue eyes.




 Now wait a minute Kumik! There might be some similarities,but that is no way Tobey Maguire!


 And why are you sending me a Paul McCartney with blue eyes?!


 So I was going to attempt to repaint the head just a little, to make it more Paul-accurate. Of course, I was terrified to do that, because the head was about $30, and I was afraid of screwing it up. The eyes scared me the most. I decided I was NOT going to try to remove the original paint,because I was likely to make a mess of the whole face. Those eyes are really tiny. If I smeared the paint trying to remove it,it was going to go all over the face. So I decided to just paint over the existing eyes.

I glossed them too,so they would shine like real eyes.
 



That neck still looks really long without a shirt on him.



 I changed the colour to brown and made the iris' bigger.




I also lined the upper eyelids differently to make them look more sloped down at the outside corners,and have heavier lashes.

Guess what I used to paint those fine lines. A cat whisker!



 I darkened the outside corners of the lower lashes just slightly too.






I extended the left eyebrow just a hair,(That's a pun!),and darkened both the eyebrows and the hair.




His hair kept showing white spots. This was happening even before I painted over it. Major flaw in the head. I need to get some matte sealer and go over everything,but I'll have to touch that hair up---AGAIN---before I do.
 




I repainted the lips,trying to darken that little point in the middle of the top lip so it would look smaller, or even disappear.





 The dip in the middle at the top is a bit much, but ok. That point at the bottom just doesn't look right at all.


 The last thing I did was put a bit of shading on the chin to give the illusion of the slight chin cleft Paul has.


I still don't like the point the top lip comes down to. I could have tried to file it down, but what kind of mess could I have made of that?! That would also have meant I would have had to repaint the lips from scratch,and I was afraid I was going to have to leave them as they were, since I had trouble getting the paint colour right to repaint them. I still don't like the colour I ended up with, and I may change it.


  I spent today trying to get him photographed in between thunderstorms. Oh, and making him a black turtle neck out of a pair of black socks,bought specifically for making doll clothes. It was hot today,and it made me too warm just looking at him in the sweater. But,hey. Black turtle neck.



    My light was about to run out,and I was still making that sweater. So...I cheated a little bit. I only attached the turtle neck at the back, and folded part of it over the neck of the shirt. Part way through his photo shoot,it came untucked. Of course. I do intend to fix it.
  So what do you think,compared to this photo?

This is slightly later than the head. The hair is longer. I'm thinking that left eyebrow should have been lengthened a bit toward the nose. I can still do that.
  Ivy griped at me,"Yuck. Why did you give him stubble?!" Well I didn't. he came that way. Dark haired people tend to look sort of '5 o'clock shadow-y', even when they are clean shaven. 
  Other than the lip thing, my other complaint about this sculpt is the nose. Why is it so long?



Maybe that's the Tobey Maguire part.
  Kumik does some amazing sculpts. They have heads of lots of famous people,including John Lennon. It would have been pretty cool to get a John head too, so John and Paul could hang out together,maybe write some songs. But the John head is an early 70's head. The Paul is a 60's version.
  That's it. Maybe we'll visit with Paul again on a day with some sun!

19 comments:

  1. i like the way it came out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on Paul’s eyes! The gloss you added really breathes life into him, too. He looks great on his new body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The gloss does make a big difference.

      Delete
  3. Amazing!..great custom work! Love the body swap. I put a long neck on an extra Ted Turner body (Forest Gump),Though these body's can come w/ neck kits they are so muscle bound sometimes. Great birthday present..one you can customize. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, some of those articulated bodies are very muscle-y. This one,in fact, came with thigh falsies, to make them bigger!

      Delete
  4. Wow that first picture with the blue eyes, definitely looks like the kind of person that has body parts buried in his basement! He looks much less scary now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job! You are such a good artist. You just intuitively know how to do things. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't really know how. In this case,I've watched people in videos paint dolls, and I still winged it my way. I'm just lazy,I guess!

      Delete
  6. I think you're right about the chin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cat whisker idea is genius. May steal that at some point when repainting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is that it's hard to hold. I may have to make some kind of handle to hold it by.

      Delete
  8. Love the polar sweater on him, he wouldn't look that good in a shirt as the neck is far too long . . . I don't know what the sculptor was thinking giving him a giraffe neck. I also agree with Linda's comment regarding the nose an chin Tam, but overall I think you have done a great job considering what you had to start with . . . well done!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Actually,you'd be surprised how much difference a regular shirt makes in the look of that neck. I had a regular shirt on Michael Caine when I had that head on the body. That head has a shorter neck, but I also had an additional neck piece on it,so it works out to be about the same. Those long neck heads have to be used with a certain type of body, I would have liked a shorter neck that would have allowed the head to be more posable, but I guess you can't have everything.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your Paul doll. Nice to see him in this scale (1:6).

    I don't "see" Tobey Maguire. You did strengthen the Paul McCarthy look by correcting his eye color and adjusting the eyes, etc. I think the black turtleneck suits a 60s vibe better than a white shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how he came out and he compares really well with the photo. That is funny that the company say he is also another actor! LOL Oh well.
    I am going to have a look at this company's heads, not to buy, just to look you understand ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their heads are amazing! I want some, even of actors I don't like,just because they look so alive!

      Delete
  11. I think you did an excellent job. You can only do so much with something already sculpted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.