Monday, June 1, 2020

Play Sets:Tweakie Toys

  Today's play set post is a little different. It's on a long forgotten toy series. They're Tweakie-Toys.




They were made by J Chein.




I received my Tweakie People set for Christmas when I was a little kid. The toys were made in 1969,so I assume that's when I got mine. I originally had four house blocks and four people. My people were with the house blocks when the box they were in went to the basement, (I don't know why it ever went to the basement in the first place.),but when I rescued the box a few years ago,luckily before the basement started flooding,the people and one block were missing. I'm still hoping we'll find them.

The bottoms of each square have the name and copyright information on them. Apparently the one I'm missing is number 837.


I found this picture online, showing the copyright on the bottom of a Tweakie person's feet.


  Tweakie People are plastic,and look very much like Fisher Price Little People, but they have features the Little People don't have. For one thing, they could sit down.

As I recall, they were about 2 and a half inches tall.
They could be made to turn at the waist,turn their heads,or bend at the waist and sit down. They also had moveable arms and hands that could hold things,sort of like Lego mini figures.


There were different house sets. The big sets were made up of four individual 'house blocks', and came with a family of four Tweakie people. I think that must be the type of set I got. Each block had a room on two sides, an outside scene on two sides, and a plain top and bottom.


 



According to this, the white rim is removable,although why you would want to remove it is beyond me.

The blocks  measure 4 inches square.


  The interior of the blocks are decorated with cardboard furniture or appliances made of the same piece of cardboard that makes up the walls and floor.


The cardboard interior is cleverly folded so that the feature,be it the fireplace,or bed ,or whatever, stands out in three dimensions,while the walls and floor stay flat.



The fireplace is three dimensional, as is the bathtub,which is printed with a bubble bath.
 


And the stove...

Hmm. Where's the stove gone? Looks like they had an explosion of some sort in the kitchen. Must have been a gas stove. Blew the whole thing clear out of there.
I took pretty good care of my Tweakie People houses. They were in good shape until Emma played with them when she was little. (As you'll notice, she did a little crayon work too.) The cardboard was getting old by then. She managed to break the cardboard at the perforations on the stove. The last time I looked it was still hanging on for dear life though. Perhaps it has gone the way of the forth square and the people. How any of it got out of the box and disappeared is a mystery.
There were even vehicles,although I never had any of those.


I don't remember ever seeing the Tweakie People items in stores when I was a kid. in fact,I don't think I had ever heard of them at all before I got them for Christmas. My mom may have seen them in a catalog and ordered them for me.


But then, I don't remember seeing them in the catalogs either, and my sister and I thoroughly perused those catalogs looking for what we wanted for Christmas!
  That's the play set for this month. I had other plans, but I packed that one away in Ivy's closet. Now that she's home with all her college stuff piled in her room,she says I may NOT get in her closet to get it out!

11 comments:

  1. these are very cute. never seen them before, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable and so creative. I’ve never heard of these before, but I would have loved this when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the blog still, you have so many wonderful dolls I've never heard of!

    Question: Would you consider doing a post sometime with information about how you clean your dolls when they go to the Spa? I'm digging out childhood treasures and some of them need help. Doesn't have to be in-depth, just what supplies you use and maybe some troubleshooting tips for tough spots/stains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that, although my way of cleaning is pretty simple,and not what some people would recommend. I have great advice on stains though!

      Delete
  4. What fun toys. I did not know about them. I have been thinking about making a room box for my little doll and these are giving me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Are you going to make the furniture too? You'll have to send me some pictures.

      Delete
  5. These are very cute, I think I would have enjoyed these. Although I was not a 'dolly' person as a child, (although I had dolls) I did used to enjoy my dolls house and these are like a simplified version of that.
    I hope the missing parts turn up for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are spectacular! As Dorothy said, this would be a great way to construct a set of room boxes for your own grands or greats. Oh, I can feel the wheels turning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! And something I missed as before my time. I like how each one had something 3-D on it. And I was LOL at your gas stove theory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.