Friday, May 7, 2021

Dolls on the Highway!

   We had an interesting day Monday. I called the auction house to see if any of my absentee bids had won anything. Yay! I won! But don't get too excited, because I only won two of the auctions I left bids for. Not that I'm not happy with what I won. I am. And I'll show you those things soon. Today I want to tell you what happened after we picked up my wins.

  I made room in the trunk while Ken went in and got the lots I won. While he was paying for the lots the guy at the counter told him that about half of the lots were won by one person. She had bid online, (I guess 'gallery only' bidding means there's no live internet bidding. You can still bid online before the auction starts.), and had come all the way from Wisconsin with a pick up truck on that rainy Monday, to pick up her wins. Who would bid on so much stuff, and not have something to haul it back in that would keep it dry? I was assuming she was a dealer, to buy so much stuff, but I would think a dealer would know better. The lots are just in cardboard boxes, with no lids. Ken and I were thinking how wet her stuff must be getting on her way back to Wisconsin.

  So we started off to a very nearby town to feed Ken's currant addiction with 'bin stores'. (Bin stores get loads of things, from store closeouts to Amazon returns, They sell the things for a set price on the day they are received, usually $6 to $10 each. Each day afterward the price goes down, usually to $3 on the next day, $1 the day after that, and sometimes 50 cents on the last day before they get new stock in. They sometimes get things like air fryers, computers, guitars, curtains, and clothing. Ken is going to shop at them until he finds, as they were searching for in "Time Bandits", 'the most fabulous object in the world'.) Anyway, as we started down the highway we hadn't gotten far when I saw something black and white in the grass at the side of the road. "The big Linnea!" Linnea is a doll based on the book "Linnea in Monet's Garden". You may have seen my 11" Linnea HERE, and my 6" Linnea's HERE. I remembered seeing a larger Linnea in the auction lots. We immediately started planning how we could rescue Linnea from the rain and absolute destruction at the fate of traffic. We had to go all the way to the exit to the next town to turn around, but luckily it only took a couple of minutes. We decided I would pull over into the shoulder and drop Ken off with a plastic grocery bag we dug out of the back, to put the certainly very wet Linnea in. Then I'd wait for him, unless the situation insisted I drive off. In that case I would take the exit again and come back for Ken, picking him up on that side of the highway. 

  I worried about Ken getting hit by a truck, but he insisted that he is not that stupid and can look after himself. As we approached Linnea, this time we both saw something in the grass just before Linnea too. I pulled over farther from Linnea than I thought, so Ken had to walk back quite a way. I ended up waiting for a while, as he walked waaaaay back to get Linnea, and finally driving to the exit again and coming back. 

  When I arrived back in the vicinity of Linnea, I spotted Ken's red shirt. (Lucky wardrobe choice for that day, as it made him easier to spot!) What was weird though, was Ken wasn't carrying a plastic bag. He was carrying a large plastic storage tub! Where did that come from?! We popped the wet tub on top of Ken's winter coat he was still carrying around in the car, since the coat needed washed anyway, and we have pale gray car seats. 

  Once we were safely back on the road again, Ken told me his story. He had picked up Linnea, and spotted something else. Then he started spotting dolls, and doll parts, and clothes, and the tub of course, (all in the grass, and not on the highway.). The tub was still partially filled with dolls. (The whole tub of mostly cloth dolls must have flown off the truck and been hit, strewing dolls all over the highway.) It sounds great, and maybe even we could return the stuff to the lady from Wisconsin, who certainly must be the one who lost it. (But who knows? She only bought half the stuff.) Well, once we got finished at the bin store, which we had to go to first because it was about to close, I checked out what was in the tub.

  Linnea turned out to be huge. I thought she was about 18" tall, but she's 26" tall! Ken even found her straw hat! But unfortunately, Linnea lost an arm in the accident, and split her neck seam in the back. Her stuffing was spilling out, her yarn hair had come unglued from her head because of the rain, she was so wet that her black outfit had stained her peachy body, and she has what look like rust stains on the back of her white pinafore. Plus her hair had several pill bugs in it! 

   As for the rest of the dolls, there is a large, maybe 24" Mary Englebreit doll who definitely had a worse time than Linnea! Her head is off, her leg is off, and the foot is off that! Her stuffing is spewing everywhere, and her apron was stained by her black velveteen dress. Her cardboard tag was still there though! Sweet Ken picked up everything he spotted!

  I'll show you those two dolls' before and after photos when they've been 'restored'.

  There was a Cher doll that had obviously been run over. Her body was completely shattered, her legs and arms everywhere.

That's Cher at the bottom. I already threw away her crushed torso bits. There are a couple of Ken doll legs, and some parts to the G.I. Joes. The stuffing is from the Mary Englebreit doll. The shoe is anybody's guess.

We have her arms, and her poor legs were still attached to  the pieces of her torso, and one foot still had a shoe on it! 


Her hair is silky and perfect and so are her lashes. I was hoping her head could be switched with a Cher head with a hair cut or bad lashes, to make a completely nice Cher. But what I wasn't expecting was that her nose had been sanded off when she was run over! So she has great hair and lashes, but the tip of her nose is missing! Typical. I thought that at least her dress would be salvageable, but  it got a hole in the accident.

  There were a couple of G.I. Joes, or, as Ken referred to them, Action Man dolls. (Which is what they were called in England, where Ken grew up.) One is complete but for the lower half of one leg. That's ok, as his knee peg is still there. He can be revitalized someday. 

The other poor guy had somewhat the same reaction to his trip on the highway as Cher. His body was shattered, with his lower torso still hanging in pieces inside his pants. His upper torso was mostly gone, but I did find some bits. 


I only later noticed that the odd G.I. Joe boot Ken picked up still has a foot in it!

Ken also picked up his head, which, ironically, has perfect flocking. Isn't that always the way?!



  And of course both of the Joes were talking Joes!

  The cloth dolls are mostly handmade. There is a doll with a soft, thin, rubber mask face, with a tag from the Doll House in Hampstead, New Hampshire. I know I read something somewhere online about dolls with that doll shaped tag.


Someone was collecting them and told about how they were made by a lady, in the 40's I think, maybe the 50's. I can't find ANYTHING on the internet about The Doll House in Hampstead, New Hampshire! The whole internet, and there's NOTHING! If anybody knows anything, please leave a comment. She  looks so new and fresh, (other than her accident marks!), it's hard to believe she's very old.


She survived pretty well, and she dried out pretty easily. I think she must have been covered by other dolls or something, because she didn't seem to have gotten nearly as wet as some of them. She has two black marks on her face...


But the 'skin' didn't tear!

...but her hair is still nice, and she still has her tag attached to her wrist. She also has a hand written tag and a pencil written note on the back of her hang tag that says she's Pollyanna. I know there were several Pollyanna dolls made that have the red and white gingham outfit too.


She's wearing matching gingham bloomers, a white slip, white socks, and little black felt shoes that are removeable.


And Ken picked even picked up her straw hat.


She has a cloth body with string jointing.



   There is another nice cloth doll with a tag. She's a Molly E doll. Besides her hang tag she also has a tag on the bottom of one foot.


 And she has a hand written tag that says she's from the '40's. 
 
Her skirt is just laid on her because she was STILL not dry!

She has some staining from her red clothes, and some browning from the slowness of the water drying. She took forever to dry. If she's carefully spot washed, and dried very quickly, Like on a burning hot sunny day.), I think most of the browning would wash out.

There's a little African American rag doll with a mask face. She seems to have fared better than most of the other dolls, although she is soaking wet. 

So wet she had to sit in a pan for her photo!

She has a mask face.


The back of her head looks more like fur than hair.



I'm not sure if she's old, or just made to look old. Her outfit looks handmade and is a style from the 20's or 30's.

There's small African American doll that really had a hard go. Her head is off and has holes.


I'm not sure if the holes were already there, or happened in the accident. Her thread hair is a mess, and she's being VERY stubborn about drying. I'm not sure if the little stuffed felt beret Ken picked up is hers, but I think so. It pins to her head with a straight pin.

  This little guy is tagged 'Nora Wellings', but his stockingette face doesn't look like Nora Wellings dolls to me.


This doll is made from a sugar bag, but I think the bag is a reproduction.


   The worst case was this poor 12" Polish doll. Her leg is split and her complete mask face is gone, except for the edges! 




She's stuffed with saw dust and refuses to dry. I hasn't helped that it has been cold and rainy here. I could only put them out to dry one day this week.

  There was this hand painted doll. Her whole head and body are painted.


Her head is off, and one of her legs is coming off. I thought her head had burst in the accident, which it did. But at least it's on a sewing seam. She might be repairable. The paint makes her stiff, and I suspect that's what made her so easy to burst.

There are several other cloth dolls, with painted faces, that were made to look old. This one is all in one piece, but is taking forever to dry. She has some browning because of it, and might have some stains on her clothes from other doll clothes bleeding onto her clothes. (I recommend Stain Devils Color Run Remover! Works very well.)

This girl is quite large. She has a painted head and painted boots.

Her bottom says Lindsey '85.



There's this girl.


She has a painted face and legs too if I recall. This is her tag. It fell off.


This poor bald girl is a 'Diane Durand doll', according to her hand written hang tag. I think the previous owner must have kept track of where she bought each doll and what she paid with these tags. Several of the dolls have them, saying 'ebay' or whatever, and the price. 

Her poor little face is 'skinned' in several places. Her clothes also have some browning from drying slowly, but I think they are sewn closed and can't be removed. She's wearing a heart shaped crystal necklace that she managed to not lose. She's all in one piece at least!

Her bottom has her date and number.


I thought she was bald, but then I realized this wig Ken also picked up might be hers.


  So you can see why the person who bought these dolls, especially if she was a dealer, probably doesn't care about getting them back! Especially if she has to pay shipping to get them. It's not worth it to her. But maybe some of you would like to try rehabilitating one or some of these dolls. I'm going to keep the Linnea, and probably the Mary Englebreit doll. Everybody else just has to go. I don't have room for them and I don't have any interest in them. I'm glad they were rescued, but I can't keep them. I'm going to see if there is any value to the G.I. Joes and their parts, the Doll House doll and the Molly E doll, and I intend to offer the African American girl in gingham to Debbie Behan, but everybody else is up for grabs, for only the cost of shipping. Any takers, please leave a comment, telling me the doll you're interested in, and your address, which I promise I won't publish. (It's just for figuring the postal cost!) First comment on each doll gets it if the commenter agrees to the postal cost. Otherwise it will be offered to the second commenter. I hope that's clear. I feel it was a little tangled!

15 comments:

  1. Poor little things, looks like they had a hard way to go. Those are some nice rag dolls, though. LOL, as soon as I saw that cute AA girl I thought of Debbie Behan Garrett and how she'd like her. I wish you the best of luck in getting them all rehomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far nobody but Debbie has adopted a doll. But I have Beth in WV in the wings!

      Delete
  2. Awww, can't wait to see the "Big Linnea"! And if no one has claimed it, I would be interested in the Diane Durand doll...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Beth,please!Wig and all!Just send me your address and email address, and I'll email you with the postage and she can be on her way!

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm gonna go back on my word. If no one wants Pollyanna and Lindsey I'll take them. I love rag dolls and my old/new Sister Belle needs friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm keeping Pollyanna for now,but Lindsey would LOVE a new home! I think I had your address once, but send it to me again and I'll let you know the postal cost.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tam,

    It took me a while to write a blog post about your incredible doll find and the doll I adopted. I have published the post here.

    I hope all the dolls have been adopted by now. Thanks again for thinking about me.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I'll be sure to check out your post. Unfortunately there are still a few dolls awaiting homes, and a couple I will probably just have to throw away. Glad you're enjoying your new girl.

      Delete
  5. wow! Those POOR dolls!! I know there may have been a good reason why the buyer had to use a truck to haul all there items, but even still, they really should have thought better about how to store them when they saw what kind of containers they were going to have to carry them out in! Reading about the condition they were in was worse than anything my cousin ever did to any of my dolls growing up! If I were in to cloth dolls, I'd take them from you, simply because I feel sorry for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the biggest problem was the tub wasn't secured in the truck properly and it hopped out! Some of them survived pretty well, but poor Cher and GI Joe!

      Delete
  6. I was telling my husband about the dolls in this post and he says it sounds worse than Sid's room! He also says, poor dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, THIS is the post that dragged me to your blog! Emily posted about the dolls you found or Raging Moon did. Not sure now. So I came over just to see. I liked your writing style and started from the beginning. I am almost all caught up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Raging Moon I'm sure. I don't think Emily had come back yet by then. I'm glad you decided to join us! I still have some of these dolls going free!

      Delete
    2. They are really nice, but they are so big! I can only collect small dolls. lol

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.