Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Another Doll Show! Part One

   Yes, I went to another doll show. Ken actually went with me, in order to feed his bin store obsession, even though he had to go to work that evening.

  This one was the Spring equivalent of the show I went to last October. (I actually went to another show a month or so ago, but I didn't take any pictures, and I haven't gotten around to telling you about it yet.) This time I took loads of pictures for those of you whose shows haven't started up again yet. There was also a purpose to going to this show, which I will tell you about in an upcoming post. In the meantime, let's relive last week's show through the wonder of photography! I took so many pictures that this will take multiple posts.

The standing girl is so pretty. I love her face, her teeth, and her dress. 

I liked this sitting kid too.

Scary baby!

I really have a thing for coats, and this little winter set with the pants is wonderful.

Cute little red haired guy. He's a news boy. I saw another of these a couple of days later at an antique mall.

These dolls range from cute to constipated. I think you can tell which is which.

Yes, there is a game of some sort going on behind the dolls. The show was held at a sports center.

Lovely ladies. Except for me. That's my reflection, behind them.

I like the girl in the blue and stripes.

Wonderful faces on these two.

The dealers were very nice about letting me take pictures... all but one, that is. She said I couldn't take pictures because, "I don't want my dolls on Facebook!" I said, "It's not Facebook. It's a blog." I tried to explain that  'a lot of people who haven't been able to go to doll shows for a long time---and she cut me off. I told her I could put her card on the post if she wanted. She said, "I do my own posts!" Ok. Whatever. The last time I posted a doll show post someone contacted me and asked me if I could obtain for them some of the dolls I had posted pictures of. (You'll hear more about that coming soon.) I picked them up at this show, and the dealer made about $100. So whatever lady.  As it was, I only photographed one of her dolls, and I don't remember which it was. And a point here: why don't you want 'your' dolls on 'Facebook' anyway? Any advertisement may mean sales. And it's not like she made the dolls, or had any kind of copyright on them. They were old, had been seen for decades, they were in public, and loads of people were seeing them right then. If she's worried about theft, everybody knows she has them already. What do you think? Is it just me, or is that kind of behavior just weird? 


Newer Eloise on the left, old Eloise just to her right, Chatty Cathy in the back. And somehow, a singing Chatty Cathy got in there amongst the antiques. (In red, on the right.) Ok, so she's an antique now too, but not as old as the others she's next to. You can see my brunette Singing Chatty Cathy HERE, and my blonde Singing Chatty Cathy HERE. You can see my Chatty Cathy doll HERE, and Ivy's Chatty Cathy reproduction HERE.


There are some great faces here.

Aww!

Nice Baitz dolls. You can see mine HERE.

So much cuteness.

The dolls on the right are the same ones from above. I love the one in the red plaid skirt.

This 12" composition doll is so cute, and she was only $5! Guess where she lives now!

Does this little lady look familiar? She's Princess Elizabeth, who is now Queen Elizabeth II of Britain.

A red bunny girl.

That very pale kid seems to be imitating Fonzie: "Aaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy".


The reindeer was moving! Santa looked like he had a bad sunburn.

This shabby Barbie was one of the few Barbie and friends dolls there. I remember when Barbies were everywhere at doll shows. The prices have gone up, but the popularity has gone down.

Nice little Caco kid at the top.

I loved these, especially the one on the sheep...and the sheep.

Okaaaayyy. That's a bit disturbing.


This display caught my eye. I liked so many of them. 

Here's the lower shelf.



...And here are the shelves when I finished shopping them.



Love the girl in the flowered dress.

                 
Pretty Shirleys.

The red haired kid was handmade. She's a crab!


I have a soft spot for Raggedy Ann and Andy. You can see my childhood ones, and read the history of Raggedy Ann and Andy HERE,  the miniature ones I made HERE, my Andy Superflex doll HERE, and my Halloween Raggedy Ann HERE.


Lots of beautiful bisque babies and...Buckwheat? How'd he get in there?

I don't know why this is sideways. I loved the pair at the bottom. They were from Columbia I think.

My favourites are the possible Baps Jack and Jill at the top, and the lady with the flowered apron at the bottom.

No question who was my favourite here...

It's gotta be this guy. He's either a Roldan or a Klumpe.

A gaggle of Mary Englebreit dolls.

The red haired one is beautiful, and I also like the felt faced Brownie on the right.

My favourite is the girl on the right. The shaggy haired fellow on the left is a Golly doll. Ken, who is from England, grew up with Gollys on the Robertson's marmalade jars, and collected the metal badges when he was a kid. He maintains that Gollys aren't racist, because he only saw them as innocent characters on the marmalade, not as people. Uh, no Ken. But then, that is a debate for another, I'm sure very LONG and controversial post.

Love her!

This is an Old Cottage doll, like the one I posted on Easter.

And here's another Old Cottage doll. Why doesn't this dealer straighten her head up?! I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be this way.

Shirley Temple and...Deanna Durbin?

This little guy was about 4 or 5 inches tall, and very cute. And very expensive!



The girl at the bottom middle, with the carriage!


This beautiful pair.


The Patsy or Patsy type at the right is cute, but I love the two ladies in flowered dresses.

Awww!

Shirley hanging with Betsy McCall.

I love the felt faced dolls, but that bisque kid looks like Curly Howard.

"Hey Moe!" The dog is really good too.

This baby looks like he's saying, "Who, me?"

Patty Duke paper dolls and doll, (Who looks a lot like Tammy, or a blonde Mary Poppins), with a couple of 'Nancy's from the comic strip. Usually Nancy is hanging around with 'Sluggo'. 

On the left, a couple of versions of The Flying Nun, (You can see my childhood Flying Nun HERE.),
 and the second largest display of Barbie's at the show.

Girl riding a rabbit.

Girl riding a dog.

Baby with hair nubbins.

Child who overdid her eye makeup.


Tiny Town Alice in the middle, (I want! You can see my Tiny Town doll HERE.), Betsy McCall next to her, another Tiny Town on her shoulder, and Tutti in pink and white.

  That's it for part one. Join me again soon for part two.

15 comments:

  1. Wow looks like heaven! I've never been to a doll show so I'll imagine it through these pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go when this is all over. They're dying out and they need more attendees to keep them going.

      Delete
  2. It looks like fun, although a lot of the vintage dolls aren't my thing. I should keep an eye on Cincinnati doll shows; my daughter has friends there, so maybe I could get her to do the driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of them, don't like some, but most are out of my price range. I enjoy looking though, even if I can't buy them.

      Delete
  3. Wow! how do you manage to go to these exhibitions and not spend a fortune! I would have a lot of difficulty not to do compulsive shopping, they are all more beautiful than the others. Thanks for sharing your photos, it's a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can't spend what you don't have! that's what saves me! Glad you're enjoying the posts. There is a part two, and maybe three on the way.

      Delete
  4. Great cross section of a lot of dolls I like. I love that you have shared these.I've been binging on virtual doll conventions/Rachel Hoffman.. and this is fun as I'm missing swap-meets and our local thrift store doesn't usually have dolls unless I donate some.Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it. There's more coming soon. There should be enough pictures for at least one more post, and maybe two.

      Delete
  5. What a silly woman...

    There were many lovely dolls there.

    Looks like you found a Norwegian girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did! I'll show her in more detail soon.

      Delete
  6. Oh you lucky thing you! How lovely to be able to go to a doll show :)
    I love the Betsy McCall in the photo with Shirley Temple and the Himstedt doll in the photo with the 'crab' doll, such cuties.
    As for the lady, I agree with you, what is the problem with sharing photos of the dolls that she has for sale? As you say, she doesn't own the copyright and she wants to sell them, so she's actually getting free advertising. I know a number of people who've bought Sasha dolls by having seen them in photos of a Sasha show and then they find out who owned them and whether they sold or not. Simples! Just sounds like this person might be an awkward obnoxious person to me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Betsy McCall too! I accidentally got one recently! She isn't as pretty as that one, but I didn't even know i was getting her. She was in one of the two auction boxes I won, the ones I was picking up when we found the highway dolls.
    Shows haven't opened back up in Spain yet. Or did you say that there weren't many shows in your area anyway? I don't know what that lady's problem was. Some people just enjoy being awful.She made me feel bad, and i didn't even do anything bad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OKay, the lady was just plain silly. My favorite of everything you showed was the lobster by the rabbit baby. LOL The dolls were great, but the stuffed lobster caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it would be peach flavoured, if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. It does! It reminds me of peach ice cream lol I love rabbits but that rabbit baby is just plain weird.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.