Saturday, July 6, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #187: Dorothy

  Today's doll is a very familiar girl.


She's Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz.

At certain angles the resemblance to Judy Garland,who played Dorothy in the 1939 film,is quite good.
This particular Dorothy was made for two years, 1975 and 1976.


She was made by Mego. When most people think of Mego they think of their line of superhroes,or Star Trek figures. But Mego made a whole line of Oz dolls to go with Dorothy. Other characters made were the Tin Man, the Scarecrow,the Lion,the Wizard himself,the Wicked Witch and Glinda the Good Witch. There were also three Munchkins made: the Mayor of Munchkinland,a member of the Lullaby League,and a townswoman.


There was also an Emerald City play set,which included a folding yellow brick road,a witch's castle playset,with the witch's crystal ball and a cauldron,and a playcase that included Dorothy's house and Munchkinland. The Munchkins were smaller, but the other figures measure 8 inches tall.
One of the great things about Mego figures is their posability. They're jointed at the neck, shoulders, elbows,wrists,hips,knees,ankles,and two joins in the midsection,with a ball joint.

 




This allows for some nice posing possibilities.
 

But there are problems. For one thing she can't sit very modestly.


And then there's this.


These Mego figures are strung with rubber bands,and are often found in two pieces,from the stringing disintegrating over the years. Even if they're still together they can become very loose and lose their ability to be posed. They get floppy.
  Dorothy came in her trademark gingham dress.


Her dress closes in the back with snaps. Oh the good old days before Velcro!

  It's fairly screen accurate,except for the sleeves being too long.


She originally also had white ankle socks and ruby slippers too. Her hair is in braids,which is the way Dorothy dolls' hair is usually done.

 


That's not screen accurate though. She has a twist at the beginning,and then maybe a very short braided bit, and then just curls. Mostly curls.





That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow for another one.

8 comments:

  1. She is a nice little doll and great that she's so jointed. I would be interested to see some of the other characters too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Glinda.but she's missing her dress. Maybe if I ever get the dress we'll see her on the blog.

      Delete
  2. These doll have lasted incredibly long in our family moving from my kids to grand-kids.I usually include some Star -Trek as well as newer Big Bang Theory. Unfortunately the Newest ones currently available are not as attractive. Love this Dorothy, thanks for sharing her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice that your kid's toys have been enjoyed by your grand kids too. I passed a lot of things along to my kids that were mine when I was small. no grand kids though.

      Delete
  3. This is a nice Dorothy doll - much nicer than other Mego dolls I’ve seen. Do you have many Dorothy dolls? I’ve always been a big fan of the Wizard of Oz - though I like the book series better than the movie. I have a few Dorothy (and other Oz character) dolls I’ve picked up here and there. My favorites are probably a couple of Effanbee Dorothy dolls (one’s bigger than the other) that I found while thrifting. In fact I have almost a whole set of Effanbee Oz characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now, I haven't met a Dorothy doll I didn't like (laugh). I am biased though.

    In fact I think the Wizard of Oz should be renamed the Dorothy Story. The Wizard doesn't come on until the end and he's not all that important. I vote for a name change! (chuckle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She does look right in certain angles. Although other angles make her appear to be a male cross dresser... I think its her squared face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think this one looks like a guy, you should see the Multitoys one!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.