Monday, July 22, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #203: Connie's Collection: Jill

  We had rain yesterday evening,and today, and it has cooled off considerably! It's only 74 degrees today. I'm even thinking about turning the fan off!
  Last night I started a project while watching TV with Ken and Ivy. I'll be documenting it and when it's finished I'll share it here. Knowing me, that may take a while!
  Now, on to today's doll. It's been a while since we've seen a doll from my friend Connie's collection. But yesterday we saw Vogue's Jeff,which I got at a flea market,so today we're looking at Jill,from Connie's collection.


She's very serious looking. In fact,she looks a little worried.


Like Jeff,Jill was made by Vogue Dolls.


Jill was meant to be the teenaged sister of Vogue's Ginny,but she still has a childish face.



Jill was first produced in 1957.


She was very popular,and an extensive wardrobe was made for her.

As you can see, my rose of Sharon is blooming well. These pictures were taken the other day, when it was sunny.
With the introduction of Barbie in 1959,Jill's popularity dropped. By 1961 Jill was discontinued.


She was brought back in 1962 and '63,but she was dropped again in 1964. She was brought back one last time in 1965,wearing historical costumes, as part of a series called History Land.

 
Jill is slightly shorter than Jeff. She measures 10 and a half inches tall.


This is the early version of Jill,because she has jointed knees.



That's one of the reasons she looks so different from Jeff,who was made a little later.


Jill is made of hard plastic. She's a walker. When her legs are moved her head turns. 


Jill had a friend named Jan too,who shared her wardrobe.


She has sleep eyes with hard lashes.


Her eyes are very blue.

It looks like those lips should have been printed down a little further.
Her hair is a wig,instead of rooted.


This girl still has her original metal barrettes.


Her hair could do with being combed,but I'm really bad with hair,and I'm afraid I'd take the curl out by combing it. Her hair looks a lot more red in the pictures than it really is. I'd say the real colour is more of a honey blonde.
 

This is an original Jill dress.





She only has one shoe,but I think it's a real Jill shoe.


  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow for another.

12 comments:

  1. I always liked Jan with her smug little face, but man, this doll has gorgeous eyes! I didn't know Jill was made as a walker! That's pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a Jan until now. She does look like a bit of a priss,doesn't she? I wonder if this Jill's eyes have changed with age, or if this is their original shade of blue.

      Delete
  2. Another cutie doll. I didn't know anything about Vogue dolls when I was growing up.

    I had Madame Alexander dolls and one Barbie. In my time, girls only had one Barbie. And little girls did not have Barbies. Barbies were dolls for pre-teens. I still have my Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Little girls played with baby dolls. And you only needed one Barbie because you could just buy other clothes and things. I admit to being guilty of buying my kids too many dolls too, but it was a lot less wasteful back then.

      Delete
  3. She's pretty but I think I prefer the boy, his colour is more healthy looking I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a beauty! My mother’s Jill doesn’t have the knee joints, so I am surprised to see those. I loved playing with mom’s Jill. Her clothes were made so much better than my Barbie dolls, and despite her youthful face, she seemed much more realistic. She had the best accessories too, like a pair of cats eye sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think moms doll might have been a brunette, come to think of it! It’s been decades since I last saw her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small Jill is so cute, so I'm coming back to this post maybe for the third time :) She have lovely hair, eyes, feet and dress ... she is beautifull!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd like to adopt her, I'm sure Connie would love to know she was loved! Message me with your email,(which I won't publish) if you're interested, and we can work out the details.

      Delete
  7. I think her face is a little older than Ginny. She's not teen-faced, but I guess she could pass for older sister. I like the size of all these dolls. And their clothes were amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.