Monday, July 8, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 188: Publicity Tour Barbie

  Our weather has cooled a bit! It's only 74 degrees (Fahrenheit) today. If the rain holds off I may get the yard done.
  I love old things. And when I say old,you have to remember how old I am. I don't mean what passes for old to young people. They think things from the 1970's are old. I love really old things. Anything previous to 1900 is great. But my favourite modern era is the 1920's to the mid 1940's. I love the hair,the clothes,even the furniture. And I love old movies. And that's where today's doll comes in.


She's Publicity Tour Barbie.



I've had this doll for ages. I never opened her because I figured I'd only ruin her. She looks nice displayed in her box anyway. Eventually I stuck her in the top of my closet,where she has stayed for years. I was getting something else out a few months ago and decided to bring her down for a while.
 

She's from a series of Barbie doll called The Hollywood Movie Star Collection. She doesn't represent anyone in particular. She's just a general non specific 'movie star',although she bears a resemblance to Joan Crawford,minus the big eyebrows.


She's the fourth in the series. The dolls are all supposed to be Barbie as a movie star. The dolls represent Barbie in her different roles.


It's an idea stolen from Mel Odom's Gene doll,who had an elaborate backstory as a fictitious movie star.
 

  Two of the previous three dolls resembled Marilyn Monroe,(Hollywood Premiere), and Rita Hayworth,(Between Takes Barbie). The other, Day in the Sun Barbie was sort of generic 40's movie star. There was a fifth doll in the series too,Hollywood Cast Party. She looks more modern in her promotional photos, but the actual doll still looks 1940's.

Publicity Tour is posed as if she's being surrounded by the paparazzi.
 

She has a huge hat,and a scarf.


Her scarf is held by a tiny broach.

 

And it has a faux fur bit at the bottom.


She has a faux alligator purse...


...and a pair of sunglasses.


Her skirt is too long for the 1940's.


It looks more 1930's,but her hair, make-up,and jacket look 40's.


Her hounds tooth jacket has tiny 'buttons'.


Her shoes are the same ones that have been used on many modern style Barbie's too. They're just painted differently here.


    That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we're supposed to finally get to go to the COSI Muppets exhibit. I'm looking forward to that.

11 comments:

  1. This is an absolutely gorgeous doll! I love all these Hollywood Movie Star dolls. I love the 1940’s movie star look. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. I wish they had done head sculpts of actual actresses. Of course, that would have been more expensive because of the liscensing. I'd love to have the Tonner Bette Davis.

      Delete
  2. I love the scarf on this doll. :)

    Have fun at the Muppets exhibit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting exhibit. I'll be posting on it soon.

      Delete
  3. I love how the paparazzi are other Barbie and Ken dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the clothes on the too.I'd love to have that trench coat.

      Delete
  4. I really like this Barbie! I did not know about her. She does look very glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's from 2000.She's probably been in m closet nearly that long!

      Delete
  5. She's a beautiful Barbie and her outfit is very nice, very elegant and stylish.
    I agree that she looks great posed in her box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen this one, but I LOVE her look! That outfit is amazing. I like really old things too and I do mean 1800's/1900's. The 20's is one of my favorite for clothes though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.