Sunday, April 26, 2020

A Day Out...With Social Distancing! and Sonny Angel

  Ken and I haven't been going anywhere. Friday though, we had to take a trip out of town Friday, so we stopped at the grocery store. Ken went in,and lucky me, I got to wipe everything down when we got home. It was a nice, sunny day, which we haven't had a lot of lately. In fact.yesterday was almost 70 degrees out,but dark and rainy. Today we're back to cold,(46 degrees!),and dark and rainy. So, I think we made the right decision to go.
  We had been talking about taking a ride in the car some day,just enjoying the scenery. We hadn't had our car for a couple of days, since we had traded Emma for her truck so Ken could take off his recycling haul. So now that we had our car back,and it was nice out, we decided to take our ride. It was pretty warm,but I wore a sweater.
  We drove to a nearby state park,where we walked through some woods,and basically enjoyed nature. There were people boating,kayaking,picnicking on the beach,and walking their dogs: all things that can be done while still social distancing. I think some people think the social distancing rule means they can't leave their house. You can enjoy your own yard, and even the park,as long as you watch what you are touching and stay a distance from everyone except those you live with anyway.


The sky was blue, but these trees had no leaves yet.


Leaves spotted! And the floor of the woods was carpeted with little flowers.
Ken and I have both always done a lot of photography. In fact,we have a wedding to photograph this summer,if the virus lifts. Ken hasn't done much for a while,but we both took our cameras this day and did some photography. I thought this looked like a painting,if it hadn't been for that dumb sign in the way! Any other angle,to get rid of the sign, ruined the framing though!


This one would make a good painting too.


It was starting to get a bit sunset-y when I took this one.


  I also took the opportunity to photograph a little guy who has been waiting for sun and flowers to do his photo shoot. He's Sonny Angel.


  I first saw Sonny Angel when someone posted photos of their Sonny on Flickr. I thought he was so cute, and I wanted one. Sonny is expensive for a little plastic toy. I wasn't willing to pay that for what he was. Not long before the virus hit I had taken a trip to my favourite Goodwill, and I found Sonny in a bag of small toys. I was thrilled, because he was an affordable price I couldn't feel guilty about.


  There have been loads of Sonny Angel dolls. They're made by a company called Dreams. This particular Sonny is named Cupcake. He's from the  2017 'Sweets' series.

He's wearing a cupcake hat.
  All Sonny dolls use the same doll as the base. He wears different hats, but almost never any clothes. Sometimes he wears a shirt.He never wears pants.



His arms are stationary,but his head can turn.


He has little tiny angel wings on his shoulders.


 He has another physical feature that may bother some people. All the pictures but two that I took at the park hid that feature. I didn't hide it on purpose,but there always seemed to be something camouflaging it...except for those two pictures. They're below,so look if you dare. Remember,he's only plastic.


 

  Yes, Sonny Angle has his male parts.
  The company's slogan for Sonny Angel is, "He may bring you happiness"  (He may...or may not. Depends on how much you like Cupie inspired naked kids.) How? Well they explain  it this way,"...born to make us all smile and add a little fun to our lives. From the corner of a room to a prominent display on a shelf, he has been delivering smiles and healing all around the world.
Sonny Angel, a little angel boy who wears headgear, will continue to watch over you, give healing, and give more smiles to all of us in the world." How is he healing? I'm sure that somewhere on their website I saw something that said Sonny heals by maybe making you happy...maybe.
  Last year "Sonny Angel celebrated the 15th anniversary of being born in Japan as a “small boyfriend” that brings you healing and a smile." There have been around 1000 different Sonny Angel figures. There is also a figure called Robby Angel . I'm not sure if Robby is a rabbit, a hippo, or something else.
  

There's also been a special edition sitting version of Sonny with bunny ears.



  You can visit the official Sonny Angel web site HERE.

13 comments:

  1. Sonny Angel is AWESOME!!! So is this area you're visiting; can't beat state parks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Did you get my emails about the Lee Middleton doll?

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you were able to get out and walk. Thanks for sharing the nature photos.

    Sonny Angel is a cutie. He did make me think of the Cupie dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't making a habit of it, but it made a nice break. Stay safe!

      Delete
  3. Love the article about Sonny Angel.
    AliExpress sells a variety of them.
    Here's a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200426201817&SearchText=sonny+angel
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery! I'm in a hard hit area (New Jersey) where we really are not supposed to leave our homes for anything considered non-essential. You can go grocery shopping, and that's about it. Parks, beaches, etc. are all closed. Looking forward to being out in the open again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure the parks were still open in Ohio until I got there. I wouldn't do it often myself.

      Delete
  5. Cute lil guy, was going to say he remind me of my Kewpie's, (with a modern twist.) Delightful.Thanks for Sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like these little Angels, my friend Olga has a whole bunch of them, they're very cute. I didn't realise all of them were boys though....I mustn't have been wearing my glasses when I admired hers! LOL
    Funnily enough, another of my dolly friends was showing photos of her one on Instagram this morning and his parts were covered by grass too!
    I'm glad to hear that you're keeping safe and well.
    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Maybe Olga's were wearing pants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Sonny Angel is cute, but I have so little space that I don't do figurines. I love his little hats. Its not that nudes offend me, they just embarrass me. Silly at my age, but oh well. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.