Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Play Sets: The Heart Family Visits Disneyland Park Dumbo Ride

  This month's play set is one that Emma was obsessed with getting when she was a kid. It's the Heart Family's Dumbo Ride. The Dumbo Ride was originally sold in 1989. Emma wasn't born until 1991,but in the 90's stores did something wonderful they don't do anymore: They held on to merchandise for year sometimes, marking it down repeatedly until it finally sold. The Dumbo Ride,which was made for the Heart Family line of dolls, was still hanging around when Emma was a kid. It was either Toys R Us or Kaybee toys where she saw it. She had to have it. I don't know why she was so obsessed with it. It is cute. But she wanted it so badly. Eventually she bought it for herself with money she had saved.
  The Heart Family, for those of you who haven't heard of them, were a line of dolls that included Mr. and Mrs. Heart,and their two children, a boy and a girl. The Heart Family kids were those stumpy giant babies whose sculpt was also used for the Teacher Barbie set,and the Rosebud Babies. You may have seen a Rosebud Baby that I have HERE,or the Teacher Barbie kids I showed you HERE. The Heart Family were sold from 1985 to 1990,and there were all sorts of sets and accessories sold for them, including a car, a house, a play ground set,sets of accessories for the kids,clothing packs,a camper, and even a dog.
  The Dumbo Ride recreated part of Disneyland,and included the ride, benches, and a refreshment stand,complete with a hamburger, popcorn,an ice cream ,a hotdog, and 'toys to buy'.



   The Heart Family dolls, sold in Disneyland attire, were sold separately,in sets of one parent and one child.
  I came across the Dumbo Ride,or,at least, the important part of it,in Emma's closet recently. Emma's room still has a lot of her stuff in it,including all but her three favourite dolls and her favourite bunny and his sister. (You'll see some of her dolls next year...maybe). The Dumbo Ride was tucked away in her closet with about a million dolls,including the stuffed 'DollPock Apartments', which is a hanging shoe holder, where many of Emma's second string favourite dolls live. So here's the ride.

Thanks to Ivy for helping out. The ride was a little heavy on one side to stand up because it's missing a Dumbo.

The missing bit is the second Dumbo. There should be two, as well as another pink heart for the other short arm. (Also I didn't find the bench and accessories.)


The Dumbo's have seat belts to hold the dolls in.



The seats fit the Heart Family children. Kelly and Tommy dolls also fit nicely. In this case, Gareth World,who has a bend leg body from a Kelly friend with swivel arm joints,is showing you how well he fits.


The ride is a wind up toy. Winding it up makes the Dumbo's go around. The piece at the top, with Dumbo's mouse friend Timothy on it, is the part that's wound.



Timothy is even two sided.


The arms travel along on an un-level circle. The difference in the height of the circle causes the arms to move up and down as they go around.

The ring at the center is higher on one side,and gradually gets lower.


 Ivy thought I should somehow show you the ride in action. The only thing I could do was take a series of pictures of the ride in motion. Click through them quickly and you'll get a feeling of motion!






 The base on the ride is decorated with many different pictures of Dumbo.
 


   Additional sets were sold to be used with the Dumbo ride,or as individual rides. They were called Heart Family (Visits Disneyland) Kids on Parade. The sets included a doll,(also made from the Heart Family kid sculpt), and a ride vehicle which could be attached to the other arms of the Dumbo Ride,or rolled along loose,and hooked together, to be a parade.


The Dumbo ride also came with those yellow thingies to hook the Dumbos together.
  To attach the  Kids on Parade vehicles,you had to remove the hearts from the short arms of the Dumbo Ride and replace them with the Kids' vehicles.


  The Dumbo vehicles can also be used off the ride itself,as they have wheels  that really turn.
  In researching the ride for this post I found a picture of something I had never heard of before:



I don't know if this piece was sold in the U.S. or not. The only picture I found is of one that has French and German writing on the package too. This piece is musical and is just one Dumbo that rocks back and forth.
  Dumbo himself is really cute.



His ears and tail are separate pieces,that look like they might move. They don't,but flapping ears would have been pretty cool.



  The bench that comes with the set is purple,with white legs that look like upside down hearts. 
  You can watch an unboxing video of the set HERE.
That's the play set for this month. Don't forget to check back in a couple of days for the next Doll Book of the Month Club entry.

13 comments:

  1. Such a cute set! I can see why your daughter wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks fun! I kind of remember riding on the real one at Disneyland a gazillion years ago. I definitely remember the spinning teacups, or was that at Hershey Park? Anyway I had fun. I couldn't do it now though (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacup ride is Disney. Somehow we didn't even see it when we were there! We went to Hershey Park when the kids were little. I know I couldn't do a spinning ride these days. I'd probably snap my neck!

      Delete
  3. Completely charming! My son loved Dumbo and was thrilled when he could ride the actual ride at Disneyland. I love Disney themed sets but can hardly afford them. But I did manage to get him small Dumbo trinkets to fit in a mini claw machine.Sweet set.Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was amazed at the prices of the Heart Family sets I saw when I was doing research! It's too bad Emma didn't buy an extra one!

      Delete
  4. That is such a cute set, no wonder Emma wanted it so badly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! I was thinking of the Doll Circle video. Such a nice set. I did not have Heart Family dolls as a child, but one of my class mates did. In Europe, we had a doll series in the early nineties called "Barbie's Li'l Friends." In the first wave there were five girls, where one was a red head with eyes the same colour as her hair, and another was a blonde with green eyes. In the second wave, there were only four girls - the two mentioned dolls had merged together to become a red head with green eyes. I got the two red heads. But my second wave girl has auburn hair, though I later found one with the right hair colour in a Saturday Market in Zürich.
    Now I have two of the Heart Family mum with pink dress, one husband, two kids, and the grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure that travelling tivolis in Norway did have Dumbo rides...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like it had a lot with it and its probably all in her room somewhere. lol I liked the Heart Family, even the freakishly large toddlers. LOL They were the wrong scale, but had cute faces. I never had the toddlers though, I had the set with the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
      I didn't know the Heart Family had any other size babies. I've looked it up, and maybe that's who this baby is? The 6th kid in the comparison photo at the bottom. http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/search/label/Barbie%20babies

      Delete
    2. Here is the African American baby - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e4YAAOSw6WpiEFCm/s-l1600.jpg

      Here is the Caucasian baby - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CfkAAOSw1uJhxgu9/s-l1600.jpg

      I had this set, but I miss the baby and the supplies the most. lol This was the sibling of the toddler twins. I never had the other two kids, just this baby.

      Delete
    3. That's the same sculpt, but different colour hair. I'm sure I have one here somewhere, if I ever find it, I can send it to you. I might even have the mom and her dress too. I came across some Heart Family dolls the other night as I was looking for something else. One of these days I'm going to do a post on them, and then they will have to go. By the way, I do still have that Midge. I have sat her aside for you.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, I think they used this same baby in other sets. They all seemed similar around this time. Awesome on Midge! I can't imagine having so many dolls I forget what I have. LOL But I have the same problem with yarn. At least you don't buy a doll you already have because you can't be bothered to try to find one that's buried too well, like I do with yarn.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.