Monday, May 22, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #134: Rosie O'Donnell, Friend of Barbie

  Today's doll is Rosie O'Donnell.


  This doll was sold as 'Rosie O'Donnell, friend of Barbie'. She's even pictured with Barbie on the box.

Rosie the doll is wearing a suit, so Working Woman Barbie is trying to fit in, in her business suit.

  The doll was sold in 1999, at the height of O'Donnell's talk show popularity.

!Hey kids! Use the back of this package as my stage!"
 Did that many kids really watch Rosie's talk show?

Empty stage! Nobody home!

  The doll used a chunkier body than Barbie, or even the Happy Family Grandma. This was well before curvy Barbie was a thing. 


  The likeness to Rosie was pretty good.


Rosie wears a suit with vest, and white shoes.

She has her microphone.

    Included is an activity booklet.

Activities, jokes, and something I can't read! It actually says, "Activities Jokes Talk Show Tips", because every kids wants to have their own talk show. (I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, I had a variety show! My name was Jackie Landstars, and my stage was the stair landing, and my microphone was a rubber jump rope, because microphones had cords back then.)

  There was a 'book' on her desk, "Kids Are Punny 2,More jokes sent by kids to the Rosie O'Donnell Show", but it has fallen into the box when the rubber band holding it fell apart. There was a real such book.


The box states that $5 of the profits from every doll sold would go to Rosie's charity, The Foundation For All Kids.

Which means somebody was out some money, because the doll was marked down to $4.98!


  I've checked, and I'm pretty sure the foundation doesn't exist any more.

  There was a talking Rosie rag doll made in 1997.

  That's today's doll. The next two days will be a couple of cool vintage dolls. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments.