Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The Doll Book of the Month Club: Patsy Ann, Her Happy Times

   I totally missed the last day of April! And yesterday we had to go somewhere, and spent all day, and I was busy today because Emma went in to the emergency room this morning and ended up being taken in to have her gall bladder removed right away. She's been having stomach pains and throwing up, etc, for three and a bit weeks. She was told she just had GERD. but now we know she had a gall bladder going bad. What should have been a gall bladder removal and home by the end of the day has turned into at least an over night stay, and maybe longer, with a drain in her side and an antibiotic drip for the infection and inflammation. That was one bad gall bladder. I had mine out years ago, and it was nothing like she's had.

  So, I am just getting around to The Doll Book of the Month Club book for April. This month it's Patsy Ann, Her Happy Times.

  Patsy Ann was a doll produced by Effanbee. She was part of the Patsy family of dolls, which premiered in 1926. Patsy Ann was produced from 1928, into the 1940's. Patsy Ann, Her Happy Times was published in 1935. 



  It reminds me of the Edith the Lonely Doll books, with the cute pictures of Patsy Ann in every day situations.



And it is basically a picture book, with very little writing. What writing there is tells the simple story of what Patsy Ann does. But the pictures, of Patsy Ann going about her days, make it worth it. 




  One review I read said the book was basically one long commercial for Effanbee's products. I don't know about that. I mean, I'm not sure all of the stuff shown is an Effanbee product. And anyway, isn't that the point of every doll book? They're selling the book based on the doll's popularity, or promoting the doll by putting out a book. That's still being done today. But that doesn't make seeing a cute doll washing clothes or taking a walk in the rain, any less enjoyable. I've said it before, and I stick to it: Who doesn't love seeing 'live' toys? I thought the book was cute. I love the 1930's, and I love 'live' toys, so I had no complaints.



  You can watch the book being read aloud and see all the pictures HERE.

  That's the Doll Book for April. Also check out today's doll of the day. 

6 comments:

  1. Aww, Patsy Ann looks darling with her little broom.

    I like 'live toys', too.

    Best of luck to Emma on her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I love me a good Patsy doll! But oh Lordy, do I hear you about Emma! My mother's gallbladder went south last year right around this time, and lemme tell you, it was no picnic. I don't want to scare you, but keep an eye out for increasing confusion and forgetfulness on Emma's part, as that was our first indication that Mama wasn't healing the way she should. Mama got alright eventually, but it was a long, unpleasant summer for us. Tell Emma I'm praying for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still suck at commenting these days, but I have to send a get well soon to Emma. I do still enjoy all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Patsy Ann is adorable in these pictures. It reminds me of Edith the Lonely Doll as well; that was my first impression when I saw this book cover. Gino had to have his gallbladder out too, but it went much better than Emma's or Raging Moon's mom's. He pretty much gets everything you can think of tested and monitored because he has so many health issues, so it was spotted well in time. I hope that Emma's recovery at least goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My gallbladder was a simple removal too. I was an outpatient and home the same day. Poor Emma. But at least she's feeling better now. Full update in my newer post.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.