Monday, March 9, 2020

Happy 58th Birthday to Me!

  Tuesday is my birthday. Yesterday Emma and I went to Detroit to see They Might Be Giants. Still good after all these years. We got back very late, and I didn't have my key. Emma had asked if I had my key, and I said no, that Ken would have to let me in. So she pulled away, very tired and anxious to get home herself. ken's always up late,so I just ring the bell and he lets me in. Well last night,since he's been sick the last week or so, he went to bed! He was upstairs sleeping soundly,and couldn't hear me ringing the bell,pounding on the door,even banging on the sides of the house. I used one of my clothes line poles to bang on the house as far up as I could,under the bedroom window. But Ken is a sound sleeper,and he didn't hear a thing. There's a phone next to the bed,so I thought I could call him and wake him up. BUT I DON'T HAVE A CELL PHONE. I know. Everybody in the universe, including school children, has a cell phone,except me. That's just the way it is. So I had to walk somewhere to find a phone. It was almost 2:30 in the morning,so the corner gas station on the next block was closed. I was thinking I was going to have to walk all the way to the 24 hour Kroger (grocery store), but then I remembered the hospital was on the way. Surely they would let me use a phone. Luckily they have a phone they let the public use, and I called Ken. He woke up. Story short: I got home and got in. Finally.
   Since Tammy World represents me as a child, it's her birthday too.
  Tammy World is helping her mom, Dolly, bake her cake. And yes, Dolly does have a stand mixer on the counter and a hand mixer on the table. I have my mom's old 1950's stand mixer,but I also have a hand mixer.

Mom! I got all the stuff out!
I don't have a doll sized flour or sugar, so just pretend those have already been used and set aside.

Tammy and little brother Gareth are waiting to 'lick the beaters',as we always said. These days they warn you not to eat cake batter because of the raw eggs. We still do it though. I haven't died yet. Of course, there's 'a first time for everything'. In this case it would also be the last time.
  My mom almost always made cake from scratch,but for my birthday I always asked for a cherry cake, from a mix, that had little cherry bits in it. With that I had to have peppermint ice cream. Now I'd much rather have chocolate cake like the one I make for Ken's birthday. Best cake in the world and so sweet nobody except me can eat a whole piece! Of course, I'm not supposed to eat chocolate any more!

Tammy: Can I help when it gets to the good part?
Dolly: Which part is that?  Tammy: The part where you use the mixer and the cake stuff goes flying all over the kitchen.


Dolly: That isn't normally a part of baking a cake.
Tammy: You could have fooled me!
Dolly: Well...let's add the eggs.
The eggs are a fridge magnet,but they are way more to scale than the supposedly 1/6 scale eggs I have. I just wish there wasn't a giant magnet lump on the lid. The milk is one of those rubber things like the rubber fit together sushi and stuff you can buy. Maybe it's an eraser?



Dolly: Do you want to stir a bit? Tammy: Yes, please.
Dolly: Make sure you get all the dry part mixed in.
  I never helped my mom make a cake. I'm not sure she would even have let me. We were always told we couldn't do anything right. When Mom made pies she would always give us some pie crust dough to make something out of. That involved nothing more than adding sugar and cinnamon. The results were not good, but then, I have to admit,neither was Mom's pie crust.
  While Tammy is stirring, Gareth spills her glass of milk.



Gareth: I'm sorry!  Tammy: You big doofus! Look at the mess you made!
 Dolly: It's ok! We'll clean it up.
  You know how it is when you're little and things just don't go how you meant them to.

Tammy: Don't cry Gareth. I'm sorry I called you a doofus.
  In our house, I was the littlest. My sister would have reacted a lot like Tammy if I had done that. Of course, Mom would have started yelling,"Gom Gom Gom! That's all you do is gom!" 'Gom' meant making a mess. I was 'always gomming up the place'. Mom and Dad were from Kentucky and I guess that was a phrase there, in the 'olden days' at least.
  I didn't make a new birthday cake for Tammy World this year. You can see the 1/6 scale one Ivy made a few years ago HERE, and the one I made HERE .

24 comments:

  1. LOL, my mother likes the word "gom" too! She never lived in Kentucky, so maybe that's a southern or Midwestern term. Happy birthday! Don't make yourself too sick on cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday To You!!! I am so happy that you and Tammy celebrated.

    I wasn't good in the kitchen. My mother did not encourage me to do things and I didn't ask. Hence, I am an eat out or make sandwiches and salads kind of person. It works for me (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!
    My mum never let me help in the kitchen either. I was too clumsy. As an adult she only lets me wash potatoes she's going to peel anyway, so I don't even offer any more.
    Your kitchen scene is great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. So sorry you were locked out and had such an ordeal getting in the house!! I live in Kentucky, but I’ve never heard anyone say gom. I love your picture story. I didn’t do a lot of cooking as a kid - not because my parents didn’t let me - but because I wasn’t interested. I much preferred to practice piano or read a book when my parents were cooking/baking. I try to involve my kids as much as possible while cooking - but they’re not always interested. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe 'gom' is outdated now. I wonder what the origin is?

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of being in the kitchen with my grandmother as a child. She baked everything from scratch. I was allowed to help her and I always make a mess, but she knew that was part of it. I loved her cakes, teacakes and banana pudding!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all had a favourite thing for Grama to make when we visited. Mine was what are now called 'no bake cookies',but what we called 'chocolate oatmeal cookies,and Grama's 'slick runners':chicken dumplings. My sister had to have Grama's panckaes, and Mom wanted her bread pudding.
      Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I remember making Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies with my mom and sisters, at Christmastime. I'm old enough that we had to sift the flour before we made up the cookie batter. And we did eat some batter raw. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Raw chocolate chip cookie dough! MMMMMMMMM! The best!

      Delete
  7. Today is your birthday. I hope you are having a big celebration!!! Much love and laughter is being sent your way from your blog friends here in the dolly world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had a lovely day,and got some wonderful presents, which I'll share with you all soon.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday! 🎂 I’ve never had cherry cake before, you’ve got me wanting to try it!

    Aw the little photo story is so cute! I feel so bad that you got locked out of your house after your concert. Glad it turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The cake has little cherry bits in it.(Probably not really cherry at all!) Mom always put pink 'store bought' icing on it too. Ken or the kids made it for me one year,since you can still buy it.
      Thank you. I was going to do another photo story too,but I ran out of time.
      I was thinking I might have to sit outside all night!Luckily the phone was next to the bed!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Tam! You share a birthday with my daughter-in-law, and two of my grandsons are March babies! I never helped my mom in the kitchen--she didn't insist, and I didn't ask. When she passed away (almost 10 years ago now), I "inherited" all of the holiday cooking AND baking. Any other time of the year, I'm a sandwiches person--I don't LIKE to cook! But I love seeing your dioramas--the eggs are a perfect size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      When my mom died I was the designated Cherry Delight maker for a while. My sister does make her own sometimes now, and I make it for my family at Christmas.

      Delete
  10. Belated Happy Birthday Tam, I hope you had a lovely day. This is a really nice scene and good little story, I like all your little props. I don't remember my mum encouraging me to help out in the kitchen either, I think I was always a bit clumsy too. I don't really enjoy cooking all that much, I tend to just do it because we need to eat!
    Sorry to hear that you got locked out, thank goodness for that hospital telephone, I think I'd have started to panic!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very nice day. Thanks.
      Thank You! I love miniature things,and the best part of having a dollhouse is getting to use my mini stuff!
      I get in a cooking mood sometimes, but these days I usually just do what's easiest. Ken cooks up his big meals,with meat,so usually I'm just cooking for me. I can't be bothered to do a complicated thing just for me.

      Delete
  11. Thank you! And thanks for the birthday greetings! I did get some dolls! Saty tuned for details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated! 58 is a great year,love your Tammy Tales.Great lift up during my last bout w/ uti..You got me thinking about how fun the redheaded dolls are to collect/display and just take out of storage.hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! "Tammy Tales"! Maybe I should name them that and use it as a heading. I never much loved my own red hair, but I always had red haired dolls. These days, when given the choice, I usually pick the red haired ones.

      Delete
  13. I am glad you finally got in the house that day! I am sorry your Mom wasn't very encouraging. That's one thing I can say, Mom was always there for me. And she encouraged me to help whenever I wanted to. I have a cute picture somewhere of TJ in his footie pajams, covered in flour, helping me mix something with a huge grin on his face. Happy Birthday and I will find out soon if you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our parents were definitely not encouraging. Dad never even let me do the laundry! I couldn't do anything right.

      Delete
    2. Well that was their loss because they had to do all the housework! It sounds like you turned out pretty good despite their view on parenting.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.