Wednesday, March 4, 2020

My Newest Dollhouse

  Yesterday Ken and I went shopping for Easter goodies. When your kids are grown it gets harder to find little gifts,and I'm trying to cut down on the sweets. Also, when they are earning their own money they can buy sweets any time they want to,so it requires finding things that are unique, that they might not find or necessarily buy for themselves. Anyway, while we were out we stopped at a couple of Goodwills,because that's what I do. At one of them I found this cool thing.
 


 


It was the amazing price of $2.99,so I said "Having!"  Ken whined about it,but I pointed out how it's my birthday month now, so he had to acquiesce.
  I think it must have just been some kind of decorative thing originally. Fuzz and I both noticed how it appears there were originally side pieces that slid in and out on the little tracks at the bottom. 


They aren't there now though, and whoever owned it wallpapered the walls. They must have used it as a dollhouse.
  It's an odd size though. The outside door and window/balcony are pretty much 1/12 scale.



Unfortunately the doors don't open. They're stuck on the outside. I'm thinking maybe I could remove them, cut them in two pieces,cut out a hole for them,and add hinges.

But the inside is almost 1/6 scale. The rooms are about 10 inches tall.


  It was a bit dirty, and the wall paper was coming out. So I cleaned it and removed the paper.
 
Kind of a shame because the downstairs had this nice paper with some pretty nice chickens on it. I saved it and cleaned it and maybe I can reuse it,or at least the border.
I was lucky that it was fairly nice out today. It wasn't very chilly. I got the house cleaned and the sky looked a bit overcast. Just to be on the safe side I didn't wait for it to dry out a bit first, but, instead, brought it straight inside. Almost as soon as I get it in the house, the rain came.  
  There is a broken spot on one side. 


That piece was resin. I'm hoping I can use some mold maker stuff I have to mold a new piece from resin. You can buy that in liquid form at craft stores,I think.
  So this is what I've been doing.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cool find, Tam! And I would have done the very same thing. I've brought home a whole slew of things that I just thought were neat (especially little things like mini glassware, but often something too big to "hide"). Hubby is an enabler and does not complain at all....He probably should, at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! The price was great too. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bargain! I love a bargain. This is a very cute 'house' and I can see you having a lot of fun with it.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly lovely, what a happy little house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.