Monday, March 30, 2020

Our Dolls,Ourselves


  Thanks to everyone who has sent Fuzzy get well wishes. He's doing fine now. Now Ivy is sick! She hasn't had a fever, just nausea, congestion and sore throat. Hopefully they both have, or had, nothing but the flu.
**For those of you offended by classical paintings and statues, there is artistic nudity below.**
  Last month was Black History Month. You may have read my post about The Doll Test. In the test the researchers gave African American children two dolls, one White and one painted brown. (The tests were originally done in the 1940's, and the researchers were unable to find an African American baby doll. They had to paint a White one.) The children were asked questions, including, 'Which doll looks like you?' The children attributed racist stereotypes to the brown dolls, which suggested to  researchers how the children saw themselves. This month is Women's History Month. In this post I'm going to discuss how women's opinions of themselves are affected by dolls, or if they are affected by them at all. If they're not, what does affect them?
  For years researchers, psychologists, and regular people have complained that Barbie doll's exaggerated body has given little girls the idea that they have to have a huge bust, a tiny waist, and unnaturally long legs to be 'perfect'. Does Barbie's body really have that much influence on a child's image of herself? There are a lot of other things which might influence a child's self image. Television and movies, fashion models, peer pressure, etc., all might contribute to a child's idea of what they 'should' look like. I really think that Barbie and other dolls more likely reflect what society sees as the 'perfect' woman, rather than setting the standard. (Also, I'd like to point out that there were several dolls in the Barbie line that were not built like a brick Barbie doll. Francie, Casey, and Twiggy were all narrow hipped and small busted. More modern times saw Teen Skipper, who had a smaller bust and hips than Barbie. There were also other Mattel lines that featured 'teen' dolls like Starr and her friends, who had more teen-like bodies.)
  So I can't blame the whole thing on Barbie. I think it's much more likely that real women, who have given us ideals way beyond most women's reach, are more to blame. (Rail thin models for example.) But where did they get the idea that being that size and shape was the ideal? Fashion designers want super thin models to wear their clothes because it supposedly makes the clothes look better. But does it also give women the idea, possibly only subconsciously, that the clothes will make them look like the models? I look at the models and wonder why in the world anyone would want to be that thin. To me they look like victims of a concentration camp. But I grew up in an era when women were 'supposed to' be more zaftig. Of course, it was also the era that Twiggy became a style icon, so we're back to that thin thing again.
    When I was growing up the cliche 'perfect woman' was supposed to have the measurements 36-24-36. When Barbie first came about, the 36-24-36 standard was in full effect. In 2020 a woman with those measurements might be considered fat. So where did that standard start? Where do any of them start?
  With all the complaints about body shaming and fat shaming, there are more women who aren't trying to be so thin. But most are still slaves to the idea that they should look like malnourished little boys. Having a 'thigh gap' is still something a lot of women strive for. I watched a movie a couple of days ago and was a bit creeped out by how thin the actress was. I won't say who it was. Maybe she's naturally that thin. But I don't think so.
  But we're still faced with the question, where does the idea of the 'perfect' woman come from? It didn't start with Barbie. Adult lady dolls with mature figures existed long before Barbie,(In spite of what Mattel would like you to think!). Miss Revlon and her competitors had smaller busts, but were indeed curvy, with long legs. (Mind you, most legs look long to me. Mine are very short.) In the 1800's there were dolls with the wasp waist popular in that era, achieved by corsets that changed the very positioning of a woman's innards.


Dolls have always been made to reflect the beauty standards of their time. Those standards change over the years. Not just dolls, but paintings reflected the beauty standards of their times. Ruebens' ladies are considered fat and flabby today, but, in the time they were painted, their figures were considered beautiful.
  
Man, was I born too late. The Three Graces by Peter Paul Rubens

  To quote Peter Cook's 'Pete' character, Ruebens "does all the paintings of fat ladies with nothing on. Great, pink, fat ladies." Cezanne had a painting called Les Grandes Baigneuses. Les Grandes Baigneuses literally translates to 'The Large Bathers'.


 To quote Peter Cook's 'Pete' again, "'Les Grandes Baigneuses'. You know what that means, don't you? Big Bathers." (You may have guessed that I love this sketch, from Peter Cook/Dudley Moore's 1960's TV series. Check it out. It can kill some time in quarantine if nothing else. You can see the sketch HERE. The conversation on the paintings starts at about 5 minutes in.)
Sculptuary also reflects the beauty standards of it's time.

The Venus De Milo is a little big in the hips, but at least she doesn't have to worry about upper arm flab...
   Ancient figures of woman show different forms.

This one is a bit Kim Kardashian-ish.



This one is ancient too. How did they make a sculpture of me way back then?!

This dancing girl, sculpted in 2500 B.C. is quite a bit more slim.
 Maybe they depict the fashionable shape of the day, or maybe they were just modeled after women  the artist found at hand.   
  But where do the standards come from?
  Is it men? Men have obsessions with certain female parts, and that doesn't change. (They 'like big butts and they cannot lie'.)What men like has always been a major influence on everything. But even most men polled say they don't like women to be so thin. So why do women think they have to be so thin?! I'm not sure there's a clear answer to that. 
  And then there's still the question of how much influence dolls have on a child's opinion of themselves and their idea of what they should grow up to look like. I don't remember my kids ever thinking they had to look like Barbie dolls. Ivy explains that she never liked Barbie dolls when she was small because she didn't think they were realistic looking. She did get some as she got older, but she was particular about which ones she liked. They were usually the special ones like 'big dress dolls' or ethnic ones. I never thought I had to, or should, look like my dolls. It's a good thing. I mean, you've seen some of my childhood dolls.

One of my favourites, Little Miss No Name. Ken can't look at her because he says she looks like 'Ignorance and Want' from "A Christmas Carol". You can see her post HERE.

I guess he is skinny... Pixie Brennan, richest man in the world, and one of my first and favourite dolls. You can see his post HERE.

Not my original Beany doll, but one just like him,(without the facial scars and with the tongue! You can read about that HERE.)

Ivy has a red dress version of my green dressed doll. Same face though. You can see this girl's post HERE.

One of  my all time favourites, my childhood Sad Eyes Doll. Ok, I did always want big brown eyes, (which at least I used to have),and dark hair... You can see her post HERE.

This guy recently replaced my childhood Happy Herman Are you starting to see a theme here? I loved dolls that were either extremely sad looking, or extremely goofy looking. Hmmm...maybe I did want to look like my dolls...
  I liked the sad looking dolls because they looked like they needed loved. They needed me. I always had a problem with depression, even as a small kid. Maybe I saw my own depression in the dolls and thought I could give them the help I needed. As an adult I sort of reveled in my misery. My sister had a print of  John William Waterhouse's The Lady of Shalott when I was in my twenties, which she said was me, because, "She has your hair and she looks all miserable."


   I did have a bunch of orange haired dolls, which I guess I related to? They had those goofy faces though. I didn't want to look like them, but maybe I thought I did? For the record, my sister and I did have Barbie dolls, Tressy, Francie, Tammy, (when I was really small), and Glamour Misty. But I never thought about looking like them. If I had striven to look like my Barbie doll, I'd be bald now.
  Ok. I didn't want to look like my dolls, but I did always think I was too fat. I look at pictures of myself when I was 105 or 112 pounds,(Not anorexic! Just a naturally small person.), and wonder how I ever thought I was fat.

Lori, and me, in 1981, when we were about 19, and I was about 110 pounds.

But at the time, I felt my bust was too big, my 34 inch hips were too wide, and my thighs were too fat. (I now realize they were muscley from riding a bike all the time.) What I wouldn't give to be so 'fat' now! Why did I think I was fat then? Why did I think I needed to be so thin? Where does the idea come from?
   In 2006 researchers did tests with little girls by giving them three choices: Barbie dolls, dolls with more realistic shapes, and no dolls. They then asked the girls questions about their body image. The girls who looked at the Barbie dolls 'tended to have internalized a more negative body image than the other two groups of girls had.' But they had just looked at the dolls. Maybe in half an hour they would have forgotten about it. Maybe not.
  Maybe dolls like Barbie do give girls the idea that they need to measure up to her. But maybe if the girls had a good self image in the first place, they wouldn't be so influenced by the dolls. Girls of younger and younger ages are worried about their appearance these days, I don't remember having any image, when I was very small, of what I needed to look like as an adult. At that age my only view of what I needed to be as a grown up was that I wanted to be a mother. My image of what I needed to look like came about when I was a teenager. I tried to camouflage my large chest, and I was most influenced by my love of old movies and old styles. I wanted to look like a  1930's or 40's woman, or even an 1800's woman.

Like Bette Davis...



...or Hedy Lamarr. Way too much upkeep to either of those looks anyway, so that was never going to happen.

Later on in my teens I wanted to look like singer Kate Bush. (But I thought her legs were too skinny, so I wasn't wanting to be that thin.)


  By my early twenties I had developed my own style, which my kids describe, (from photos), as semi goth. I don't think it was anywhere near that. I wore a lot of black, and very long skirts, but my make-up, what there was of it, was decidedly more natural. Nobody I knew of dressed like I did. I just liked it.
 
Me with a bale of straw, Yorkshire, 1985, at age 23. About 110 pounds. Beret, 1930's English riding jacket, my friend's skirt, because mine was in the wash, and those leaky Italian patent leather shoes.

So none of my self image, or what I thought I wanted to look like came from Barbie, or any other doll. I did think I wasn't thin enough though. Where does that come from?!
    I do think it's a positive thing for kids to have dolls they can relate to, or see as positive role models though. It's good that Mattel has recently produced dolls in the Barbie line, of all sizes, shapes, and colours. I think it's great that there are now dolls with prosthesis, and wheelchairs. There was a line of bald dolls representing cancer kids. Mattel has the fairly new Creatable World line, for transgender and non-binary kids,(or just people who like to have options and be creative with their dolls).
  That brings us to the end of this post, and the subject of our next post, which you will hopefully see here soon.

10 comments:

  1. I found your post very interesting and like you, when I was young I too thought I was way too fat and yet when I look back at the photos, I was really slim, I'd give anything to have that figure now! Not too long ago I found a book of mine at my mum's house and in it I was recording my weight. I'd written something like weight today 9 stone, and in the comments section, I'd written 'gross'. How sad. I don't know why I thought I was fat then either.
    As for dolls, I wasn't into dolls that much back then but I did have a Barbie, but I played more and enjoyed more my Sindy, and looking at her she does have a more realistic shape than Barbie did.
    I can only agree with you and say that I too was born too late!!! :)
    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sindy did have a more realistic body, like Tammy. They both had those big heads though! Too bad their makers couldn't have made more realistic sized heads too. Funny thing though: Those of us who grew up playing with Tammy,Sindy, or even the later kids who played with Bratz,didn't think we should have huge heads!

      Delete
  2. I think the main turning point in fashion was the waif look with models like Twiggy and Kate Moss. Models are so much taller then 'average' women. History cycles through lots of looks that were just terrible for women, (like corsets). I do think today has a lot of body positive movements, like adding in bigger Barbie dolls and seeing more plus size models in ads. I think the biggest difference is for the most part dolls of a certain line have one body, because they have to share clothing. Real women just aren't like that! My first doll was a 1990s teen Skipper because my mom thought the adult Barbie was a bit too sexy (I got some later). Skipper certainly wasn't realistic with her big anime eyes and huge head. I never wanted to look like my dolls. or like models. Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I had a friend once who told me I 'could never be truly stunning because you're short'. So there is that image prejudice too.
      What you mention about some doll lines only having one body is true. Also,smaller companies just can't afford to make so many different bodies. Each one has to sell a certain amount to make it worthwhile,and small companies don't sell enough to do that. Big head Skipper never made you think you had to look like that either, did she?

      Delete
  3. Hey Teach, I really enjoyed the "lecture" today. I don't think my body image was tied into dolls at all. My early dolls were baby dolls and little Madame Alexander dolls. By the time I got my Barbie, I was a pre-teen.

    I do remember having a subscription to Seventeen Magazine. My idea of "what to wear" was more based on what my friends were wearing than what fashion trends were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I really don't buy into that Blame It All On Barbie idea. Of course, we're a different generation too. But I think girls are even less affected by Barbie's looks now. They stop playing with dolls so much earlier, and there are so many more things that can affect their self image.

      Delete
  4. Very thought provoking! I was so fortunate to have 5 older sisters and a granny who lived w/ us for a while. They had very varied ideas about fashion/figures and personal style.I had a sister 5'2"who wanted to be taller, and at 12 I wanted to be thinner but more due to peer pressure at school.I thought Barbies were like clothes mannequins, mostly same bodies different heads.It was always about the clothes to me.I saw fist hand w/ my sisters swapping clothes how different the same outfit could look on different people. In junior high and high school there was a HUGE thing about wearing black, I tried it and my blonde hair blue eyes and mostly fair skin looked washed out, plus my little brother told me I looked like I was going to a funeral.So I wore it away from my face or as accessories, (purse/shoes/belts).I was always jealous of my actual red-headed cousins, and wanted freckles like peppermint patty.I think how our mothers influence us is a HUGE part of how we form our ideals about ourselves.Plus I came from an artistic family and came to think of Rubenesque (Sp) women as "healthy looking".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!
    I have brown eyes,very pale skin,and my hair used to be bright orange. I thought the black looked really good with that! Although my former brother-in-law questioned why someone with very pale skin and red hair would want to wear all black. I told him that was the reason. I never had freckles,except when I was a kid I would get a light sprinkle of them across my nose in the summer. I think you're probably right about mother's having an influence. My mom always said if she could get the length of three of her hands around her waist she knew she was where she should be with her weight. She always weighed 110 pounds, even when she died at 59. She always told me that i was 'pasty pale' and tried to make me get more sun. I was outside all day as a kid. She just never figured out what a red haired person was going to look like I guess! She also always complained that my sister and I didn't have curly hair, and I ended up hating my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I was influenced by television and peers, but not dolls. Unfortunately, I was also influenced by Mike (sperm donor as my Mom calls him, he's not really a Dad). For one, I didn't eat when I was stressed as a child. I would lose my appetite and he was sick all the time.

    Now you are probably wondering how that's his fault? Easy, he has Munchausen's Syndrome. Took a lot of years, but in my 17th year of life we finally discovered he was making himself sick. Trust me, you don't need or want details.

    When I was around four, Mom came home from work early and heard him say this, "If you don't stop lisping, you can't have dinner." Now she was furious and reamed him out over it. But she thought it ended that night.

    Since she worked full time AND went to college at night, she missed a lot. Not her fault in my opinion but it left me with a nutcase. And no, she had no idea. He would often comment something negative if I got any weight on me and I was TINY kid. Until I was nine, I was short as well as very thin.

    I grew six inches that summer and then I was tall and very thin. So yes, I ended up with anorexia.

    Wow, this is a book! Sorry about that. My point, that took me forever to get to, is there are MANY things that influence us as children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a story! You're right. All kinds of things can affect kids. Some might not even seem like they could cause a problem, but different things affect everybody differently.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.