Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #12: Princess of the Portuguese Empire

   Well I am here at Emma's house, waiting for our house to become inhabitable again. Until then I'm doing what I can. I feel  bit ridiculous doing Doll-A-Day, but I can't go to the house at this point. I'm still coughing and wheezing and crackling when I breathe. I have an appointment with my Ear, Nose, and throat doctor on Friday. The hospital managed to find us a GP, since mine moved away without warning and I haven't been able to find a new GP yet. Nobody seemed to be taking new patients. But the hospital couldn't get us an appointment to be checked until the 8th of February! I think that's a bit far away. I know my other doctor doesn't handle lungs, but he does keep an eye on my lungs, due to my LPR. He can also look in my nose and throat, and maybe see if I burnt my air passages. He may need to treat whatever is causing me to still be coughing and crackling, because I think waiting until the 8th is a bad idea.

   Emma is rescuing things from the house. One of the first things she brought was my camera. That was on the landing. I'm not sure it's working properly. I had to use a bit of force to get the memory card door open, the display screen turned around, and the flash up. Oh. And it smells awful! It's so smoky. I cleaned it, but it stinks so much. 

  Let me explain something. Our upstairs has a large landing, off of which sit the 4 bedrooms. The landing is sort of a hub. Our bedroom was to the left as you would come up the stairs. Fuzzy's room, which was the room that caught fire, was to the right at the top of the stairs. So our rooms are directly across the landing from each other. That's why our bedroom, with the door standing open, where I came out when Ken shouted about fire, got soot covered and smoky smelling. Emma's old room, and Ivy's are at the back corners of the landing, and their doors were closed. I've already retrieved something from Ivy's room, and it smelled fine. The other casualties of our landing, which didn't burn, but suffered from the heat and smoke from the fire, were dolls and toys that were displayed on the landing. They may not have burned, but they sure did some melting. I'll show you some of those things later.

  Today's doll was one that wasn't in the fire, but was downstairs, soaked by the water coming through the ceiling. Emma brought her here to dry out, and thought I could use her for a post. This doll has fared better than some of the dolls that were displayed on our landing. I haven't seen the house myself yet, as breathing difficulties and emotions have stopped me. But Emma tells me that heat and smoke destroyed quite a few things on the landing, even though the actual fire was contained to Fuzzy's room. A few dolls were quite literally sealed in their own packaging, when the plastic window melted. I have a couple of those here with me. They are previous Dolls of the Day. We'll have a look at the attempted rescue process in an upcoming post.

  Today's doll is the Barbie Princess of the Portuguese Empire.


She was produced in 2002, as part of the Dolls of the World Princess Collection.


She came with a certificate of authenticity.


It's easy to assume she has rooted eye lashes, because she has such black eye make up. She looks very dark around her eyes. She doesn't have rooted lashes though.


I'm not sure of the gold thing on her head is supposed to be a crown, or something else. It's soft.


She has black hair, with one ringlet in front.


 The rest of her hair came out of the box very matted looking, and not curly. Just a wad.



Her dress is all one piece, with a velvety skirt, and a cottony feeling bodice.




It has a built in petticoat.


It closes in the back with snaps.


Her shoes are burgundy coloured flats.


I forgot to take a picture of the back of her box, and I've already thrown it away. Sorry!

  That's the doll for the 12th. I'm still catching up. Hopefully we'll be back on schedule soon.

7 comments:

  1. I freaking love this doll! She looks just like my mother did when she was young...except that Mama's hair is straight. I'm sorry to hear that you lost some of your dollies; I hope some of them can be saved or repaired. Adam and Lindsay send their love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I bet Adam and Lindsay are glad they got the heck out of here!

      Delete
  2. This doll is so pretty. I love the Barbie Princess of the World Series. I’m glad this one survived unscathed. I’m sorry that you lost some of your dolls and toys. Hopefully more can be salvaged than you thought initially. I also hope the doctors can help with your breathing.
    - korglady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been thinking about you this week, Tam. Sending healing vibes your way! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty doll. Hope those dolls can be salvaged. Good luck at the doctor's. Hope he can fix you, and that your new GP will turn out to be right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A good doc is hard to find, so let's hope. I love my ear, nose, and throat guy.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.