Sunday, January 8, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #8: Li'l Winking Herby Hippy

  Today's doll is one I don't own. But he's on my wish list. He's Lil Winking Herby Hippy.


  Herby was made by Remco. 


  He has molded and painted teeth. (I love dolls with teeth.) He's jointed at the neck, shoulders, and hips, and had sleep eyes. But the gimmick to this doll, besides the 'hippy' image, is that if you squeeze his stomach, he winks. 

He's in the same catalog as That Kid, which was a one year only toy, sold in 1967. I know this because he's one of my favouites. I've done two posts on my three That Kid dolls, which I always wanted and didn't get until recent years. (You can read the That Kid posts HERE and HERE.) So I'm very familiar with him. Some things I've seen say Herby is from 1968, so maybe he was sold both years. 

  1967 was prime Hippy time. Sgt. Pepper came out that year. The summer of 1967 is called 'The Summer of Love', but other events that year included the ongoing Vietnam War, and the civil rights protests. (If we'd have had love in the first place maybe we wouldn't have even had those two.)

'That Kid is all boy'. I always hated that phrase. What does that even mean?! It's usually used as an excuse for why a kid tears stuff up, or is violent. That doesn't make you a boy, and being a boy doesn't mean you have to do that stuff. I had a friend whose only answer to why her son tore the roof off her daughter's Little Tykes house and destroyed it was, "He's all boy!" No. He's all brat. And by the way, so Herby winks...okay, and is a hippy. (Notice it says he has 'long rooted hair'.) Does that make him a mischief maker?

The catalog description above says Herby 'wears little sandals'. The box doesn't picture him with sandals. I have seen one picture of him with sandals, and that was a doll complete with box. So I guess he did?
  Sandals notwithstanding, Herby came wearing a blue cotton shirt, orange pants, a beaded necklace, and an embroidered...necklace?  

  The Herby we photographed was at an antique mall. He'd been there for over a year when we took the pictures, and his price has remained the same. I don't think most people have ever heard of him, so the demand isn't great. I keep hoping they'll knock his price down.

  You can see lots of detail pictures of the in box Herby HERE.

That's today's doll. See you tomorrow for another one.

1 comment:

Thanks in advance for your comments.