Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #18: Purse Doll

   Some of you may have read my mention of owning a purse doll/doll purse at least once. I know I've mentioned it a couple of times. So today, we're going to look, not at my purse doll, but at one Emma owns. She's this cute girl.


  Emma pulled out a box full of doll stuff she has to sell today, and this girl was in it. She is made very much like my purse doll: felt skirt/purse with back zipper so you can use the purse, and a cotton blouse.

She has a handle. Mine doesn't.

The one difference between Emma's purse doll and mine is, Emma's still has her original head. 


Why does she have a bottle mouth?

   She has a head very much like a lot of little rubber dolls from the 60's. She's very reminiscent of my childhood 'Jungle Legsly', and  a couple of others I have. You can see another one HERE. My purse doll didn't have a head when my cousin gave her to me, so she uses my sister's old Polly head. But not having her head, I was able to see that her 'neck knob', as such, is a wooden peg that also forms her body. I'm guessing this girl is just the same.


  Like mine, this girl can raise her arms. Unlike mine, this girl actually has a tag. She was made in Japan.


  She's about 8 inches tall, but with nothing in her skirt/purse area, she can't stand up. 

  Since my cousin is even older than my sister, who is six years older than I m, I'm thinking this doll purse may have been made in the late 50's at least. On the other hand, who knows where she got the purse doll she gave me. She could have found it somewhere. This type of doll head was more common in the 60's.

  That's the doll for today. Many more to come. I still have to catch up with January before the end of the month, and present you with a doll book at the end of the month. So, we'll see how well I get on to catching up tomorrow. I'm only 6 days behind now!



9 comments:

  1. Hey, that's cute! Now I need one, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you said you weren't taking in any more dolls right now, but Ema says you can have this one cheap, and I do have a doll to send you any way. I could toss her in the box.

      Delete
  2. She is kind of cute. Reminds me of ARI dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, Tam, I haven't been reading blogs much lately, and I totally missed your awful news. I hope that you heal quickly and that your house can be repaired soon. I have a similar story to yours about houses; we had to declare bankruptcy many years back. We made regular payments to the court, but the court somehow never made payments to our mortgage company over the several years we paid, so we lost our house altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! That's awful! How can they do that?!

      Delete
  4. "Why does she have a bottle mouth?" What? You don't feed YOUR purse regularly? Purse maintenance is very important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my purse would die of starvation, especially if it expected to be fed with money!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.