Sunday, August 13, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #217: Susie Slicker

   Quick post today. It was a bisy one. I apologize if you've seen this doll before. I photographed her last week, thinking she was the perfect doll to photograph on a rainy day, (and it was just about to pour when I took her picture.), but when I started to prepare this post, I checked, and found that she has actually appeared on the blog once or twice, with her 'relatives'. She's never had her own day though, and I have nothing else photographed, so there you are. She's Susie Slicker.

She came wearing the raincoat, with matching hat, tights, and boots. No clothes though.


  One curious thing about some Susie Slicker dolls, and Susie Sad Eyes, is that some of them were made with big green rings under their eyes. I hadn't seen any like that in person at first, so I assumed it was colour run from the eyes. It isn't though. Some of the dolls, including this girl, were made that way.

Susie Slicker, and her non-raincoat wearing counterpart, Susie Sad Eyes, was inspired by the big eyed paintings of Margaret Keane. (The movie "Big Eye", released in 2014, was the story of Margaret Keane.) There were loads of  the dolls made in the 60's, by several companies. They vary in quality, depending on who actually made the dolls.


She's 8 inches tall, with the standard 5 points of articulation.

  To see and learn more about Susie Slicker, Susie Sad Eyes, (and my personal history with them), and Margaret Keane, check out my Big Eye Week posts in the side bar. See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I never got the idea of big eyed children or dolls. I am not saying it is a bad idea. I just don't understand why it is so popular. Why does she have green under her eyes?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.