Sunday, August 27, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #231: Posin' Cricket

    Today's doll is one I saw at the show on Saturday. I really liked her, but she was only being sold as part of a whole group of Ideal's Crissy and Family dolls and extras.


  I hadn't seen  her before, at east, not in person. I may have seen pictures. But in person she is quite cute. Her name is Posin' Cricket. The 'posin' aspect is her swivel waist.

She reminds me of somebody. I think it's a young Vickie Lawrence.

  Cricket was sold in 1971, thus the Jan Brady look of her dress. (It's actually the same style as the original Velvet dress. See the first picture, far left.)


  She was a Sears catalog exclusive, which may account for the fact that there aren't nearly as many of them around as the rest of the Crissy family. Crissy and Velvet are like weeds growing: They're everywhere. Mia was available in abundance at this same show.  I have even seen quite a few Harmonys in my life. But this is the first Cricket I've ever spotted.

  According to the site CrissyandBeth.com, there is a rare variation of Cricket with blue eyes, but that version will have darker red hair, more like Crissy's shade. Apparently the blue eyed doll is a variation, but an official one. She was supposedly sold in 1972, probably as part of a blue bridesmaid gift set. The blue bridesmaid was made to coordinate with the bride set that featured Ideal's Tressy, a large grow hair doll similar to the Crissy line. (Ideal had bought the rights to American Character's Tressy and Cricket dolls names and grow hair feature, although the American Character dolls were Barbie and Skipper sized.)  

  This week we'll see more dolls from the last two days of shows.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know her. I figured out that I probably don't know any dolls from the 1970s,1980s, and 1990s, that is new dolls. I certainly know Barbie (laugh). I hope Cricket got adopted by a nice collector who was looking for a large dolly family. I think the doll to Cricket's left is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody has their area, or era of expertise. The doll to her left is Velvet.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the poor child has eye mold. I've been battling that with Crissy and Velvet. I've always loved Cricket, though! Her face doesn't look as goofy as Velvet's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Velvet and Cricket, and even Cinnamon, much better than Crissy. I want a Cricket now!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.