Friday, January 10, 2020

Making Doll Sized 'Tiles' Out of Recipe Cards.

  Yesterday we went to the grocery store. They still had a lot of clearanced Christmas things. There was everything from decor and wrapping paper,to gift items. I spotted some recipe cards and it occurred to me,(much slower than I like to admit!) that they resembled vintage tile,or formica countertops.
 

I thought I could use them for a 1/6 scale kitchen diorama. 


So I bought four packs. I don't know what I was thinking. There were nine different colours,but I knew there was only one card of each colour.
 
The pink ones were the inspiration for the whole thing, and I forgot to include them in the picture!
So I asked Ken if he would go back this morning and buy the rest of them for me. He did,so I ended up with eleven packs.Here's what the cards look like cut into 'tiles'.


I started with the one I thought looked the least like a real tile,in case I screwed it up. I didn't want to waste any of them. Just a note: In 1/6 scale two inches equal one foot. Tiles are usually one foot square. That would be two inches square though,and that actually looks too big for 1/6 scale. That happens sometimes. It's not always possible to keep exactly to the scale rule,because it doesn't always look right. Sometimes you have to eyeball it. So the 'tiles' have been cut one and a half inches square. I think they'll be perfect. There is one thing though...


  We aren't going to have to buy recipe cards for generations.
  If anybody wants to look for these they were at Kroger stores.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if you do scrapbooking at all, but with a little crafty alteration recipe cards can make great journaling cards for photo albums. Just embellish the cards to cover up any existing text you can't use, handwrite your journaling, and slide the cards into the pockets of the photo album along with your pictures.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's clever! I never would've thought of using these to decorate a dollhouse. Sounds a lot cheaper than the paper at Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. They were 30 cents a pack! Plus they are card,so they are more like tile than paper.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. I'll keep you guys updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look like Formica and I never would have thought of this. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.