Saturday, January 18, 2020

More 1/6 scale Miniature Foods,Toys, and Books

  The last couple of days have been all about 'making stuff'. One of the things we made a lot of  'stuff' for was an idea of Emma's called The Doll Mall. After the huge doll fair we did,and the annual Doll Christmas Shop,there was also one Christmas where Emma invited her friends over one at a time for a different doll Christmas shop. It was heavy on Harry Potter items we had made,and the kids ended up fighting over the homemade fake toy boxes. I had to say, 'Hey, guys, they're empty you know. They're not real. We made them. We can make more.'
  That was just a small shop though. Emma got the idea to make a whole Doll Mall. One year she and I spent a lot of the summer at the dining room table making miniatures for the mall. We cut pictures out of catalogs and ads for the fronts of the boxes. 
 
This catalog picture of a box of Christmas crackers worked out really well. This is from Fuzzy's things.

Like this one of Fuzzy's.

We used boxes we had saved from the fourth of July's sparklers,(cut down), and poppers,and also made tiny boxes. By gluing the pictures of toy boxes from the ads to the boxes we made to fit them, we made miniature toy packages for the mall.


 
Some of this stuff of Fuzzy's may not be from the mall. The package top left is Peanuts stickers,next to that a Toy Story CD set,more 'stickers',and on the end is a Rudolph record. I'll explain about that in a day or so. I know the Neopets cereal came later. It was made from a picture on a cereal box. As you can see we also used the boxes from the individual size boxes of Nerds. Below you'll see the backs of the boxes. The sparklers boxes are obvious!


  Some of the best sources for ready made minis you don't have to print out are food packages. A  lot of the time they advertise themselves or their accompanying products on their own package. On example is the Neopets cereal above. The picture of the Neopets cereal came from the cereal box. I cut the picture out with enough cardboard left around  it to make the box out of. The downside of this method is that there are no side or back panels for the packaging. It works all right if you are making them for kids, or if you're using them in a diorama or for photos,as long as all that shows is the front.

Like the Cheerios and Life cereal boxes in the cupboard in the top left of this picture from a photo story I posted. You can see the full story HERE.

This box of Cheerios is Fuzzys,and made from the same picture on the cereal box as the one in the cupboard above. These came out really nice.

The logo on our toothpaste box made a great mini toothpaste box. This was in Ivy's doll stuff. I was amused to find she had put a tube of Crest in the Colgate box.
The Eggo box is cut from an Eggo box,as is the Colgate box. The Whoppers were from an ad paper. The Hershey's are made from Hershey's minis wrappers. The tiny Aero bar was computer printed,but only in black and white. The candy bars themselves are polymer clay. The Aero one was made to look nibbled.These are Ivy's.

A better look at the Eggo box, with the homemade popcorn bag I showed you yesterday.
   We made mini books for the mall bookstore.  In the early days of making our minis we just cut pictures of book covers out of ads and left enough paper attached to fold it and make a back cover.
 
Like these of Fuzzy's.
As time went on,(after the Doll Mall), I started gluing the ad pictures to thin card stock...ok,usually 3X5 cards or cardboard the appropriate thickness saved from candy packaging or anything else that worked. We didn't make spines on the books at first,but I moved up to that for making books for the kids later.

Like these mini versions I made of some of Ivy's favourite books. At this point I am still using pictures of covers cut out of ads, but the books have spines and pages. The pages are cut from stacks of paper and glued in the spine with Fabritac glue. These are a little beaten up from being in Ivy's stuff.
Emma and I filled a book store with homemade books.  I accumulated clearanced miniature flowers for the flower shop. We also accumulated and made grocery store items for the grocery store. The mall ended up with a grocery store, a flower shop,a book store, a toy store, a pet store or vet's or something,and a dress shop. The Dollar Tree had 1/6 scale dress forms with actual removable fancy dresses,so we had a few of those. We also made some sock dresses and things. There was also a sitting area with a trash can,and a gumball machine. The 'mall' was set up under and around our dining room table. I know. Where did we eat? But that was something we worked around.
   My mom would never have allowed my sister and me,(That's grammatically correct. Leave out the 'my sister and'. See?),to have done anything like the 'mall around the dining room table'. As I have said before,my mom never even allowed us to have the Barbie Dreamhouse out more than 'once in a blue moon',as the saying goes. Her catchphrase was,"What if somebody was to come?!" Nobody ever did, but Mom insisted on having a spotless house that looked like no children lived there.  I was the opposite. If someone came to our house they were liable to find a doll mall under the dining room table,or a rug of Legos in the living room floor,or a blanket house. Not only did I allow the kids to do this stuff, I was probably in it with them. I spent a great deal of time as a kid by myself. My mom was an at home mom,but she never stopped working. During the day I occupied myself,while Mom ironed or cooked,or worked in the yard. I remember being bored and lonely a lot of the time. When I had kids,if my dishes waited until the next morning to be washed instead of after dinner,that meant I had more time to read to the kids before bed. (And when they were little that meant reading separate books to Emma and Fuzz.) If the grass grew a little longer,I could make miniatures with Emma, or play Rescue Heroes with Fuzzy,or play Polly Pockets with Ivy. I skipped a lot of things,but we played together outside,we had foam brick fights in Ivy's room,and Ivy and I played with Kelly dolls before bed. The summer before Emma started kindergarten we spent weeks making a 'Wizard of Oz' movie with her dolls as the stars.(Her idea.) The dust and dishes were still there when we finished playing,but my kids didn't stay little.
  Tomorrow we'll see some more 1/6 scale miniatures that the kids and I made.

17 comments:

  1. I love you for the end part about spending time with your kids instead of polishing your house. I struggle with this and feel guilty whichever way I go.
    Also I may steal some of your ideas from these posts when my kids are a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please! Steal anything you want! And never feel guilty about taking time away from your house for your kids. As long as the place is clean and sanitary,the gine tuning will wait.Their childhoods won't. When they grow up,are they going to say,"Man,our house was so spotless! I remember it so fondly!" Probably not. But are they going to say,"Man,we had fun when I was a kid! Our mom did so much cool stuff with us!"

      Delete
    2. That's supposed to be 'fine tuning'!

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I did make some things out of pictures from ads some years ago, for my miniature hobby. But it is so much easier to buy stuff. When I look through ads, the food items are either wrong scale or part of the text/prices is on the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier, but not as cheap! These were just for play. You're right about a lot of the stuff in ads not being usable because of printing over the pictures,or whatever. There are a lot of things that are to scale and usable though.

      Delete
  3. I actually got a bit teary eyed reading about how you made sure to be present for your kids over cleaning house. Your kids were (and are) very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing your stories. You are so right, kids don't stay little.

    You have given them a wonderful childhood, full of adventure and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on both counts. I certainly hope I did.

      Delete
  5. So much fun stuff, I used to do this for my dolls house :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this post and I have to say, wow! I loved reading about the things you've made for your kids over the last few posts in particular. The other stuff you've made or done, like all the traveling you do, sounds really amazing. Despite the back pain you constantly deal with , you keep on going. You don't let it stop you.
    So many other people would. They'd throw in the towel and say, "forget it, I just can't today." While I'm sure you've had those days, you still manage to bounce back. Good on you, if I wore hats, I'd take one off to you! :D
    I also wanted to say, I would have loved growing up in your house! Oh don't get me wrong, I adore my Mother, she's my world! But I never quite got the experience I could have had, doing the things you did with your kids. My Mom did the best she could, but with me being blind, and her unable to read, she could only do so much.
    She managed to explain colors to me quite well though. So that if I know what color a certain item is, I will sometimes freak out other people by saying things like: "it's over next to the white cup." In fact, thanks to my family, my favorite color is yellow. When my much older brother and sister were in school and I was little, they used to sing: "we all live in the yellow submarine." The song grew on me and the color became mine.
    I played by myself allot. My Mom worked most of the time and I was way too shy to readily make friends with other children. So having my Mom interact with me more than she was able to, would have been wonderful.
    In any case, You would have given a child like me a fantastic time. I would have loved it! It would have been an experience I would have never forgotten. Your kids are truly blessed to have you as their Mom. More parents should try to live up to your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. One of our kids has huge anxiety and depression problems, and chooses to remember childhood as a miserable time, and recently gave me a going over for the doll vacations because it was 'lying'. I was very upset, even though the other two kids assured me it was all fine. (And my sister told me a similar story about her similarly anxietied daughter chewing her out for 'lying' to her when she was small, about the lights in the sky being the Millennium Falcon! It was also an opportune time to see the commercial where the little girl draws pictures and her parents secretly 'bring them to life' for her to find in the mornings.) So I needed this the day you sent it. It's good to hear this from an objective 'observer' It brought me to tears.
      As for the traveling, we don't do much these days, even before Covid. Our trip to England in 2015 was the first in a very long time. There just isn't the money or Ken having time off to do it. He longs to travel. Maybe someday.
      I'm amazed your mother was able to teach you colours. (And your ability to learn them.) She must have been quite a mom! My mom was always working in the house or the yard, and my sister started school the year I was born, so I spent a lot of time alone too. I got Mom for a while in the mornings, as she taught me my numbers and letters. Then I was on my own the rest of the day. We lived on a farm out in nowhere, and the only kids I knew were a few cousins we rarely saw. Consequently, I was very awkward at school and had trouble socializing with the other kids. I'm still awkward and unsociable for the most part.
      I'm certainly dealing with the pain today! Name a part and it hurts! But you have to keep moving, right?

      Delete
    2. I have severe anxiety and depression problems and would never have seen this type of childhood as miserable. My mother worked full time and still managed to do fun things with me. I understand your child is speaking from a bad place, but try not to take it personal.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. Everybody keeps telling me the same thing, but it's hard to be hurt by your kid saying things like that.

      Delete
    4. I get it. My son is 23 and not only is he high functioning autistic like his mother - he is bipolar like his father. I HATE it. You want your children to have a better life than you did - or you are a crappy mother! Who wants their kids MORE miserable??

      I will tell you something my son told me. I had a really hard childhood. I told him I wanted to raise him WITHOUT my problems. He told me this, "It doesn't matter how great a Mom you are and how hard you and Ahma and Papa try - I will have my own luggage to deal with."

      It sucked to hear, but he was right. It hurts even more that he will never have kids because he doesn't want to pass any of this on. BUT, I also understand. I never wanted this life for him.

      Your child is hurting. You didn't cause it and you tried hard to make sure they didn't have your baggage. Unfortunately, they developed their own and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it. Some of their frustration is with themselves and how things turned out.

      I am so sorry, we love our children so much that it hurts when they hurt.

      Delete
    5. One of the reasons my kids don't want to have kids is that they don't want to possibly pass on the problems they have. The one who causes me all the grief even said I should never have had children. But I didn't see my problems as debilitating. I also didn't think at the time that it was something I could pass on. I think my problems were milder than theirs. I have less problems than I did as a young person. I improved considerably when I got Ken, and even more when I had the kids. Maybe my biggest problem was that I needed to be happy! I was lonely and had a low self esteem. Ken and the kids made me happy and made me feel I had value. Maybe some of it was something that changed as I aged. I still have 'cloudy' days, but they are fewer and don't get as heavy as they used to when I was young. I think there is a great deal of bipolarism in us too. I'm sure my dad had the same problems .

      Delete
    6. I am glad to hear that Ken and your kids make you happy. :)

      My son makes me happy and I have NEVER regretted having him. Regretted other things in my life, but not him. lol

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.