Monday, February 13, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #38: After the Walk Coca Cola Barbie

   Today's doll is one recently rescued from our smokey landing. It started out on our attic stairs, but, with the help of the firefighters, worked it's way downstairs. Ken collects Coke Stuff, some of which he lost in the fire. He had it displayed on top of a cupboard, and in a bookcase on the landing. The landing suffered a lot of losses. The flames didn't come out there, but the heat and smoke definitely did. In an upcoming post I'll show you some of the things that didn't make it. But today we're celebrating the survival of this lady. She survived pretty well. She's After the Walk Barbie. 





  She was produced in 1997, the second in a series of Coca-Cola Barbie dolls that were subtitled 'Fashion Classics Series'. But everybody calls them Coca-Cola Barbies. These were the more expensive collector's dolls, but there were also play line Coke Barbie dolls. 
  This one has the face play line dolls had back then. I never cared for this face.


She's the recreation of a vintage 1916 Coke ad in doll form. She has the dress with the button covered bodice, big ruffley collar and cuffs, and striped skirt.


It's all one piece though.

No petticoats at all!

There's a Barbie Collectibles tag inside her skirt.
 

She is wearing white tights.


She's supposed to be wearing those metallic red shoes, but they won't stay on her feet because the tights make them too small.

Who wore metallic shoes in the era this is supposed to be anyway?!

And then there's that big hat. I do like the hat.




Of course, she has some accessories. Let's start with the obligatory glass of Coke. It's just attached to her hand with an elastic band.





She also has something else the lady in the original ad had: a Coca-Cola fan.

There is a place for her hand to be slid into, so she can hold the fan.

It's two sided too!


She also has a parasol.



There is a place for her hand in the parasol too, but it was too small to fit her hand into and have it stay there. Also, she couldn't hold the parasol at the angle the lady in the ad is holding it using the hand holdy feature. It just wasn't possible.


I tried. It couldn't work at all with the hand holdy thing. She came sort of close if she just used the handle of the parasol.

She has a stand, as most collectible Barbies do. It comes in two pieces. There's the base...


And the base, because I forgot to photograph the stand part that fits into that hole in the base.


The other piece was just a single stick with the 'saddle' end that fits into the doll's crotch.
  A certificate of authenticity is also included.


I have no idea why Mattel chose to display this doll on a background that looks like a plantation. The people in the ad picture could be sitting on a porch any old where.
 

Maybe because Coke was invented in Atlanta, Georgia in 1886.


There's still a big Coke factory in Atlanta, as well as the World of Coca-Cola museum.


  When Emma and Fuzz were little we went on vacation to, amongst other places, The World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. There was one part of the museum where they had Coke products from around the world, and you could dispense and drink as much as you liked. It was a very hot day, so that was appreciated. But my kids weren't allowed pop very often, especially when they were very small. They weren't used to it. And besides, too much is too much, as my mom used to say. I was going through the exhibit with Emma, who was allowed only so much to drink. Ken, however, was a total pop addict at the time, and also doesn't think too much is too much. And Ken had Fuzzy. Fuzz was about 3 at the time. And Ken allowed Fuzz to drink loads of pop. All was well until that evening when we went to an Indian restaurant for dinner, and before we had even received any food, the floor around our table became awash with Fuzz's pop intake from our earlier trip to the World of Coca-Cola. I'm talking about puke here, people. I wouldn't have thought a kid that size could even hold that much. The waiter was very nice about it, and we cleaned it up ourselves because, come on. Who wants to clean up someone else's kids' puke? I didn't even want to clean up my own kid's puke. But we felt terrible about it. Poor Fuzz felt pretty terrible too.

  That's today's doll. Sorry about the disgusting  story, but it did go with the doll! See you tomorrow for another doll. And no puke. Guaranteed.

6 comments:

  1. It is a nice doll, and I like Coca Cola. But I agree; this is not my favourite Barbie sculpt either. It is funny that your mom used to say that "too much is too much." There is a Norwegian record with the smurfs (the little blue guys), and on it, there is a song about smurf beer (one sentence can be translated to "beer, beer, smurf beer, best of all is smurf beer"), which was supposed to be a good and natural product, but one smurf claims that "the seventh smurf in the house" (a reference to a Norwegian fairytale where a traveler had to ask seven persons, where six told him to ask their father, whether he could be allowed to spend the night) had said that "too much of the good is too much of the good")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know where some of those old sayings came from. My mom always sued the phrase, "Enough is enough and too much is too much!" when we would get rowdy and annoying!

      Delete
  2. Oh mercy, at least she didn't develop kidney stones! LOL, I love Coke, but as I've said on my blog it doesn't love me. I love these Coke Barbies, though! Soda is just awesome in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Pepsi person myself. I have to drink the caffeine free stuff now though, because of my LPR. I do like the Coke dolls. I want that Cake soda fountain set! It's Waaaaayyyyy expensive though!

      Delete
  3. I have the Soda Fountain Sweetheart doll. Her costume is from about ten years earlier; I like the clothes from that time period better. I also have a Coke themed Cissy who was a souvenir doll from a doll convention in Atlanta. It seems like every doll event in Atlanta has to have a Coca-Cola themed doll. I prefer Pepsi over Coke as well to drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure we don't have Soda Fountain Sweetheart kicking around at home too. I like her clothes too. Yes, Atlanta is very into it's Coke connection. Too bad Pepsi never marketed itself as much as Coke. It does taste better.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.