Friday, February 24, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #49: Dream Date Skipper

   I am well aware that I am still 6 days behind on the year. I have been helping around the house, doing most of the cleaning and laundry, to make life easier for Emma, since we are staying here with them, cramping their lifestyle and being annoying, and filling their fridge with our stuff. I've also been drying out wet things from the house, cleaning sooty things, washing sooty laundry. plus trying to take pictures and keep up with the blog. I am way far behind with the posts on our trip, and am starting to forget what we did. I have tons of pictures for a post on things we've saved...or not, from the fire. While I was on steroids for my lung inflammation all that was easy. I was pain free and could move easily. Climbing stairs was easy. Of course, as soon as the steroids ran out, the pain and stiffness began to return. Now it's going full force. My back is killing me, my feet hurt, it's become difficult to go up and down stairs again. And Emma lives up a LOT of stairs. There's a flight from the parking area to the level the house is on, more stairs to the sidewalk to her front door, and once you reach her door, there are loads of steep stairs up to her apartment. In fact, there's a big set of stairs, and a short set of stairs. The final set is short as far as number of stairs go, but the stairs themselves are very tall, (for me anyway). Plus, Emma has an old clawfoot bathtub, and I'm so short it comes higher than my knees. Add to that my stiffness, and I have to get in and out with a step ladder. (That's not funny!) We're sleeping on an air mattress. which is probably more comfortable than our real mattress at home, but hard for two old people in pain to get in an out of. I'm also afraid I'm going to run out of dolls to post if I catch up with those 6 days. I had enough posts predone at one point to catch up most of the way, but I figured I'd better hang on to them for the time being in case I needed them. And of course, things needed done and I didn't get anything else photographed until I had used all those up. So I was right. And now I'm low on dolls, and I can't fill Emma's house up with stuff. So I daren't bring any stuff here unless it's stuff that needs rescued from the house. That's one reason I have been posting so many of Emma's dolls. They're already here. 

  Today's doll is both. She's Emma's, but she came from the house and needed rescued. She was in a box of dolls that had gotten some water in it, but not everything was wet. Today's doll just needed the faint smoke smell aired out. She was in a ziplock bag and stayed dry, and fairly smoke free. Emma decided she wanted this doll, and even bid on one in an auction the other day. She lost that one though, and who am I to turn Emma down if she wants something at this point? So I gave her to Emma. She's Dream Date Skipper.


  She was produced in 1990. 


  This head sculpt, which Mattel began using in 1987, is usually referred to amongst Skipper collectors as the 'big eye' sculpt. The sculpt was used for several years, before Mattel changed Skipper's head to a more realistic sculpt. In the meantime they also used the big eye sculpt for a Tinkerbell, and a Peter Pan Wendy doll.


   She has HUGE hair. I suppose that even though that was an 80's thing, there was still some around in 1990.


She came with instructions on how to 'release' that giant hair from one of those stupid plastic strips they sew the hair to.

Yeah. Like it's that easy.

 Skipper's box stated that she came with "3 Pretty looks and a trendy hairpiece too!"


I'm not sure how trendy this hair piece was for teens in 1990.


 It also told kids to "Put on her hair piece and she's absolutely gorgeous!". Can't she be gorgeous without it?

I'm not sure if that band goes behind her head or under her chin, and the instructions don't tell you.

It doesn't sound easy, or even clear!

"How glamourous she looks for a party, dinner, or dancing". Because all early teens go out to dinner, or 'dancing' dressed like they're going to a ball.

Look at the combed back bangs part! This is without the big hair piece. I was afraid to ruin her hairdo. It's made it all these years and I have given her to Emma. It would be a bad time for me to try to deal with hair. You know how I am. I remember in the 80's when Unsentimental Niece used to have those huge stand up bangs that looked so stupid from behind. A Giant wall of bangs. Ivy think I had 'big hair' in the 80's, but it was nothing like this. 

As you can see, her bangs are the colour of the hair piece, and not her actual hair.

The instructions show two options for her outfit. The skirt is in two pieces: a short tutu looking thing, and along skirt. See that 'disc' it's telling you to tie the bow on to use as a bracelet of hair piece? Remember that.

The box tells you she has: "Glossy shorts for the ice cream shop!"

Because everybody wears shiny shorts to the ice cream shop. And what were they calling an 'ice cream shop' in 1990? Those weren't the days of Mickey and Judy going to the ice cream parlour!

The box also expected her to attend the movies in a giant tutu. "Fabulous mini for the movies."

She looks a little over made up, over dressed, and overhairdoed for a kid barely in her teens.

How old was Skipper supposed to be in 1990? I know they had aged her up a bit, but how much? I mean, they have her dating. But this outfit looks more like a prom dress of the day anyway.


Oh my goodness. Look at that hair.



Her accessories included a pair of blue flats...
 

...a hunk of tulle that's supposed to be that 'bow'...


...a brush, a heart shaped purse, and that disc you were supposed to use as a hair piece or bracelet. This thing would make a HUGE bracelet.


The disc and the purse came with stickers to decorate them.



She also has a bracelet that isn't that huge disc.


And there's a huge necklace to go with it.


And she came with this stuff. 



 This doll came in some I got at an auction. There were some in there that I liked, but this isn't one of them. She's a bit too much for me!

  That's today's doll. Come back tomorrow and see what else we have for you.

6 comments:

  1. The note "To put on wig" clearly states that you pull the doll's hair through the circle made by the wig and the rubber band... 🤔😊 That would put the rubber band under her hair, unless you put it over and the wig under...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I was seeing the illustration as something else. Must be getting senile!

      Delete
  2. I got tickled reading your commentary, particularly the part regarding ice cream shops. Ha. What was popular back then? Baskin Robbins, maybe? TGI Fridays but instead of Fridays it was yogurt or something? Thank goodness for frozen yogurt?? Something like that is buried deep in my brain, but I'm gonna need Google to make sense of it.

    Also: My older sister had those crazy tall bangs in the 80s and early 90s. It was rather interesting to stand aside and watch her style them. So much hairspray invested in those things.

    As for Skipper herself: I've always been fond of the big-eyed era. I don't know why. I think maybe they strike me as friendly? I have at least one of those Skippers still floating around here somewhere, along with a Courtney and a Kevin.

    But yes, that dress is way too much for a trip to the movies. And no, I don't recall dinner and dancing as part of the average teen's agenda back then. Dinner, maybe, and there were high school dances, of course, but that's like Sunday clothes territory, I imagine.

    Nowadays, I think they all dress pretty casual even for those events. My neice went to a dance recently, and wore shorts! Didn't even put pantyhose beneath them to combat the cold or look dressier. -- I found this strange, but maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

    You're sweet, BTW, to give your daughter this doll since she lost out on that auction. I'm gearing up to give my child some old Ken dolls she wants to knit clothes for. It's fun to share our hobbies and collections with our offspring, and I'm glad you have a generous child, letting you and your husband stay in y'all's time of need. Generosity and sweetness must run in the family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the Ice cream shop could have been Friendly's. Is that what you were thinking of? Yes, dances are way different now...I guess. I've never been to one myself. The only prom I've been to was one I was assigned to photograph when I worked for a newspaper. That was the early 90's, and they dressed up then. I know they were dressing up when Emma had her proms. Ivy refused to go to dances, except one, (She did dress up.), so I can't say what they were wearing then. Emma is indeed generous. That's why I couldn't deny her the doll. We owe her so much more. She has picked up her interests in dolls again recently, and tomorrow we're going to a doll show!

      Delete
  3. LOL, good night nurse, she's over-the-top! I do like how unabashedly eighties she is, though. Big hair and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hit the 80's a bit late though. But yes, she is really 80's style overdone!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.