Sunday, February 19, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #44: Tiny Lady in a Scarf

   Today we're looking at a little mystery lady. (And watch for an extra post too.)


  I don't know anything about her. I'm not even sure now where I got this lady. It was possibly a doll show, but it may have been an antique store. I'm guessing her to be from about the 1930's.


She's about 4 or 5 inches tall. I don't have my measuring devices here at Emma's, and she doesn't remember where her ruler is. Ken has a comb with a ruler on it, like the one I use on dolls at home, but he takes it to work with him.


  She has seen better days, but she's still cute, even if she does have some damage to her face.



I'm not sure what her face is made out of. It looks like maybe celluloid or another kind of thin plastic, over pressed fabric or something?


Her clothes are linen. The fabric almost looks and feels like the fabric that was used for feed sacks back when my mom was young, in the late 20's, 30's, and 40's.



  I have some quilts that were made by my mom and grama from feed sack fabric. Companies made feed sacks, (for chicken feed, for example.) from pretty cotton fabric, so it could be useful for other things. People made clothes out of the sacks, so they were careful to try to get sacks from the same dye lots of fabric, to make sure the colours matched. My mom wore feed sack dresses and even feed sack underwear. (When I told my friend Lori this once, she immediately though of burlap feed sacks and was stunned anybody would wear burlap underwear!)


Her scarf is stitched closed under her chin, and stitched to her head in the back.




She's wearing an apron, a skirt...


..and a petticoat, along with bloomers, stockings, and little black shoes.


  I think her arms and legs are wired, but I wasn't sure, especially about the legs. So I didn't want to try to pose her very much.


  I'm not sure what her hair is made out of. It could be mohair, but it feels a bit synthetic.


You may have noticed from the previous pictures, that the part in her hair is stitched in with white thread. You'd think they would have used thread to match her black hair.

  That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we'll look at another doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments.