Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #247: Erna Meyer Ladies

  Yesterday we looked at a nice Erna Meyer man I got at one of the doll shows I went to when I did the 'two doll shows in a weekend' weekend. When I got that doll, I also got these two ladies. They didn't appeal to me, but I liked him, and they were being sold together, for a really good price for Erna Meyer dolls.



And they are, obviously, Erna Meyer dolls. I mean, look at them. Let's call them, Laverne and Shirley.


  The dealer claimed the dolls were from the 1950's. But the reason these ladies didn't really appeal to me, was because they are SO blatantly '80's, or '90's at the least. Let's look at Shirley first. Does that look like 1950's hair?
 

And look at that 1980's shirt!

"RRRRRRRRR! I'm an airplane!"

And Laverne's outfit is just as bad...uh, I mean, recent. (Okay. The '80's aren't that recent any more. They are more recent than the '50's, and anyway, they seem recent to me.)



  Even that shirt fabric is nowhere near '50's.


  Their hair is a little messy.


  And as we talked about yesterday, Erna Meyer dolls didn't start having plastic shoes until the mid 1960's. I don't care what that dealer said, I know more about the history of fashion than to think these dolls are from the 1950's. I have consulted Ivy, who is an expert, with a BA in Theatre, and who worked in the costume department in college for 4 years and was the expert on judging whether or not something was 'period'. She says '80's.


  Still, they are nice dolls, and like all Erna Meyer dolls, they are very posable.





                                                            "Because I'm FIFTY!"


  The sketches where Molly Shannon played the 'I'm FIFTY!" lady always reminded me and my sister of our mom. She was always proud of how fit and flexible she was for her age, and was always trying to prove it. Plus she had a similar hairdo...

So these ladies are looking to find a home, if anybody is interested.  Leave a comment with your contact information.

  See you tomorrow for another doll.

5 comments:

  1. I love the names you have chosen for them. I hope they find a new home. Maybe Carmine will be waiting there to greet them (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have me wanting Lenny and Squiggy dolls to go with them! They were always my favourites!

      Delete
  2. That's actually a very tempting offer... Insert thinking face emoji here. If you'd like to trade, I still have the "red" (it's more of a salmony color in person) headed girlie from the Lady Doolli set, if you'd like to have her. Redheads aren't my specialty, but she's very cute.
    (https://rmwerx.blogspot.com/2023/06/toymuchinformation-lady-doolli.html) The post itself, for reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tempting, but I did promise Ken I'd sell them for real actual money, to try to offset what I spent at the shows. I was going to ask about $40 for the pair, which is a pretty good deal for Erna Meyer dolls. I looked at the Lady Doolli dolls, and they are really cute.

      Delete
    2. I'm fixing to move, so I'll have to get back to you, but I'm definitely interested!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.