Thursday, September 14, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #249: Antique Doll with Jointed Legs

   Today's doll is another from the recent doll shows. She was a really cheap price, and I thought she was so interesting and cute, so I couldn't resist.

She's only about 10 inches tall.

She has a bisque head and shoulder plate, tiny teeth, and brown glass eyes.


  The only markings she has are the numbers on her back, and a blob sort of thing, which I think is just a flaw in the bisque, on the back of her head.




 She has somewhat large painted eye brows. Her brown glass eyes are so dark you can hardly find the pupils in them, but they are there.


The teeth are a little weird looking, and I suspect it's because they weren't put in properly. But they have some personality.


She's in pretty nice shape, but her face and eyes could do with some cleaning. Even a little paint touch up couldn't hurt.



I'm not sure about her hair, but I think it's mohair.


She's only wearing a slip and boots. I would love t have a dress from the right period for her. Her body doesn't seem to be oilcloth. It just seems to be heavy polished cotton.


She has some really interesting knee joints.


I wouldn't try to take those boots off if you paid me. They'd never go back on.



Her leg and her boot look machine surged. That had me questioning the age of her body. But I looked it up, and the machine surger was invented in the 1830's. 


I'm not sure what to say her arms are made of. Ceramic?



The crown of her head is just a hole. You can see the dark area that is the hole through her hair.

That slip is sewn on.

  I know there are a lot of antique dolls like that. I really don't think she's reproduction. 
I'm not very educated on this era of dolls. I do much better with dolls that are within the span of my lifetime. It's kind of like the old TV series "Quantum Leap". (I don't know much about the new version.) I can only travel back and forth within my own lifetime.


But I would say her hair is what's left of a much thicker wig, her eyes and teeth are original, her slip is original, but those hair ribbons definitely aren't.



She can sit down, and though her knees have that weird jointing, they don't bend and stay bent very well. Her arms are sewn into her cloth body, and can lift up on their cloth connection, but they don't move much.


  If anybody knows anything about this sort of doll, leave a comment. 

  That's it for today. Tomorrow we'll have a look at another doll show doll. (Hey, I was really good the first day, and most of the stuff I got the second day was small.)

7 comments:

  1. Tam, does she have any markings on her neck or body? I will ask some of the folks in my local Doll Club to take a look at the photos. Someone is sure to recognize her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Sorry, forgot to put those on! I've updated with the pictures. Yes, please show them around and ask. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. No one knows who she is so far. I will see if the markings can help with the identification. I thought of someone else in my club who might know. I will keep you posted.

      Delete
  2. Does she have any markings on the back of her neck? If so that'll help greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated it with the markings pictures. Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...I'm just as stumped as you are, then. My usual go-to, DollReference.com was no help either. I think numbers like "16/0" are a reference to the little gal's size more than anything. I'd guess she's late bisque and German, but that's a rough assumption.

      Delete
    3. I would guess German too. The size confuses me though. She's about 10 inches, so why does it say 16?

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.