Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Doll Book of the Month: The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real

   I am finally catching up with last month's Doll Book of the Month! It's a book I have mentioned a few times on the blog. It's The Velveteen Rabbit.


  This is Fuzzy's copy of The Velveteen Rabbit, rescued from a box on the bottom shelf of the book case that burned halfway down. It had been a little wet and had to be cleaned off, but it's pretty nice, especially considering it's ordeal. Emma has a more modern copy, which we read to her when she was little. But this edition has the original illustrations by William Nicholson.

  The Velveteen Rabbit was written in 1921, which accounts for the flowery speech, by Margery Williams. It was first published in Harper's Bazaar, (with illustrations by the author's daughter, Pamela Bianco.), before being published as a book in 1922. This was Williams' first children's book. I have reviewed another of Margery Williams' book on the blog, "The Little Wooden Doll". I'm not sure if I still have that book, as it would have been next to Fuzzy's room when the fire happened. A lot of my books got packed away and sent to storage. I'm just hoping they weren't wet at the time, as I have found things in storage that Ken packed up wet and they were molding.

  I described the trouble Ken and I had reading this book to the kids. The book, which is beautifully written, is sad in parts, but mainly it's just so heartbreakingly touching. I specifically remember reading this book to Emma on our couch, with Emma in the middle, and me on one end, and Ken on the other. We took turns reading because we'd be crying so much we couldn't continue. I'd read until I was crying too much to read further, and then I'd pass the book to Ken. He'd read until he was crying too much to read, and then he'd pass it back to me. So let's see what brought on all that crying.

Beware, because spoilers await all ye who enter here.

  The story begins with the Rabbit being given to the Boy one Christmas, in the Boy's stocking.



  The Rabbit lives in the nursery with the other toys, including The Skin Horse, who is very wise. 'Skin horses', and other animals were a real thing back in those days. It just meant a leather horse, often on a platform with wheels, so it could be pulled. 


One day the Skin Horse explains to the Rabbit how toys become 'Real'.



 The Skin Horse explains that the Boy's uncle made him Real, years ago.

  The Rabbit is thrilled when one night the Boy declares to his nurse that the Rabbit, "isn't a toy! He's REAL!"


  After that the Rabbit has a wonderful summer, playing outside with the Boy. But one day he is discovered by two real real rabbits, who tease him for not being real. The Rabbit doesn't understand, pleading that he IS Real.



  The Rabbit is very hurt when the rabbits won't play with him and run away. But the Boy continues to love the Rabbit, so much so that what the Skin Horse said about being loved until one is worn and shabby happens to the Rabbit. But the Skin Horse was right about something else: when you are Real, it doesn't matter.  



  Is it just me, or is anybody else getting a human equivalent from this? Like when you love someone and you grow old together, and they don't notice how old you're looking, because they love you so much? I'm not crying! You're crying!
  But one day the Boy becomes sick. He has Scarlet Fever, which in those days was a very serious illness. In fact, Fuzz got Scarlet Fever as a kid, and it scared me to death. My aunt had Scarlet Fever as a young woman, and was ill and recovering for a year or more. But when Fuzz had it I found out that it isn't a big deal these days. Antibiotics take care of it. Most people only get strep throat, which is connected, but not actually Scarlet Fever. But in the era this book was written, it was considered very dangerous and contagious. As the Boy recovered, the doctor ordered all his books and toys, including the Rabbit, who had weathered the Scarlet Fever storm with the boy, upon his pillow, to be burned. Fortunately the servant who hauled it all to the heap to be burned was a lazy sort, who decided to leave it until morning. The poor Rabbit lay on the heap sadly, wondering what was to become of him. He is so sad, in fact, that a real tear falls from his eye. Where it falls a flower suddenly grows. The flower opens, and out steps a fairy.






The fairy explains that she takes all the toys that are old and worn out, and no longer needed by children, and makes them Real. The Rabbit is confused, because he thought he was 'real'. The fairy explains that he was Real to the Boy, because he loved the Rabbit. But she will make him Real to every one. She takes the Rabbit into the forest, and introduces him to the wild rabbits, kisses him and puts him down. The Rabbit is told to 'Run and play'.


But he doesn't run, because he remembers that his rear is made all in one clump, because he is a toy, and he can't run. But then he has an itch, and without thinking, raises a foot to scratch it. He discovers that he has hind legs! The Rabbit springs around in joy. When he finally stops to look for the fairy, she has gone.
  Months later the Boy was playing outside, when two rabbits come out to look at him. One of them has strange faded markings, just like his old stuffed bunny. That last line! I am NOT crying!



  Oh my goodness, this book! Beautiful and sad, probably more to adults than kids, who haven't lived through this stuff yet. It makes me cry, partially for the same reason as Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Ahhh!!! Sadness for the toys that are loved so much and then forgotten, sadness for lost years, sadness for children growing up and away. And it's all written in such a beautiful way. I do highly recommend this book, but have your hankies ready.
  That's the book for August. Don't forget to also check out today's doll post. See you tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. I am commenting to say that I am not commenting because I am a crier also. I am not reading the post because I will be crying because you were crying.

    I promise to comment twice as much on your next posting (as long as it doesn't involve crying - smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw come on Dorothy! We'll all cry together! Seriously, you have given me a laugh, to help me get over my crying.

      Delete
  2. LOL, this one made my six-foot-two, three hundred pound father cry! He hid behind his newspaper, but we heard him sniffle. I freaking love this book. Did you see that Claudie Wells, the flapper American Girl, has a copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I hadn't seen that. I think it's public domain now, isn't it?

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.