Monday, February 4, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #35: Ashley,Maxie's Friend,and the Maxie Day Dreaming Bed

    First of all,tomorrow is my friend Lori's heart procedure. Remember all those kind thoughts, prayers, good vibes, and positive energies I had you save up when it got cancelled a couple of weeks ago? Well we can use them now,so let them fly. It would be very appreciated.
   Today's doll is two: Slumber Party Ashley,and (I think)Sun Splash Ashley.


Ashley is a friend of Maxie, by Hasbro. 


Slumber Party Ashley is wearing her original 'outfit': her pajamas.






She also came with a striped pillow,a hair ribbon, and fluffy yellow slippers.


Sun Splash Ashley came in a bathing suit. I don't have it, so she has borrowed a non-Maxie outfit from around the same era.

Anybody recognize it?

The Maxie line was produced between 1988 and 1990.You can watch a commercial for the Maxie dolls HERE


These two are lounging on the Maxie 'Day Dreaming Bed'.




The pictures of the Maxie bed box are courtesy of  Emily Pearce. Thanks Emily.



The bed spread has 'M' printed all over it.



The bed originally came with these accessories.


Slumber Party Ashley has a sort of open pucker mouth.

No matter how many times I combed her hair, these hairs just kept coming back.


She has 'pearl' earrings.


Sun Splash Ashley,or whichever this is, and Maxie's other friend, Simone,had the same face sculpt as Maxie,  a smiling mouth with teeth showing.


I guess swimming is more fun than hanging out at Maxie's slumber parties!



Oddly enough, Ashley seems to be able to change her eye colour with her clothes! Slumber Party has brown eyes, and Sun Splash has blue eyes.



I was really glad to see the brown eyed Ashley, because red haired dolls almost always have blue eyes. I know that's more common, but as a brown eyed red haired person, I always look for that combination.


Although both Ashleys have red hair, they're very different shades.




  Maxie and her friends are 11 1/2" tall, like Barbie, but are a bit beefier,giving them much more realistic body proportions.


They have silent click bend knees. I like their realistic hands.


  The hands seem a lot bigger than Barbie hands, but a side by side comparison proves they aren't that much bigger.
 
Made to Move Barbie,left, and Ashley,right.

Ashley on the left this time, Made to Move on the right.
The Maxie feet are definitely bigger though.


And flat,compared to the high heel Barbie foot.
   Maxie was accompanied by a cartoon series called Maxie's World. You can watch an episode of the cartoon HERE.
  And that's it for today.Tomorrow we'll see another doll from the Maxie line.

11 comments:

  1. Slumber Party Ashley's head mold looks eerily like Mattel's Steffie mold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always fun to read about your dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley have lovely face and cute hands :) And I see this post! Between #36 and #37 but it's ok :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sewing doll clothes for a while, so I'm pretty sure the outfit on possibly-Sun Splash Ashley is home made. The really wide hem on the skirt and the bad bobbin tension in the neckline seam are what really make me think it's home made. (I don't use commercial patterns so I can't say which, if any, commercial pattern was used.)

    I come from a family of brown-eyed redheads, so I also love that combination on that Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this is the missing post, I am glad that it has been found. It is in the line up where it should appear.
    Thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the post time so that it would appear in the right order. Glad to see it worked! Thanks.

      Delete
  6. These are pretty girls, particularly the one in the shorts, she is really nice. I like that their proportions are more natural than Barbie.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do prefer the brown eyed one. The other one has weird eyes.

      Delete
  7. I think the other redhead doll is actually the Mallory doll from the Banyditter's Club collection released in 1998. They used the Hasbro Maxie doll body mold for those dolls, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.