Thursday, February 7, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 # 38: Lil Drowsy Beans

    It seems there has been a problem with my Maxie friend Ashley post. It was published on time, and was in draft long before that. I noticed there was something weird going on with it when it was in draft. It kept not showing up in recently worked on drafts. I had to search it by name to get it to show up. Today I tried to find it in published posts and drafts,and it wasn't showing up at all! I finally got it to show up,but it's still not showing up on the blog. So I'm going to rework it and hope the new one shows up. It will be back dated, so it should show up as number 35,between #34,the Winter Fantasy Barbie and # 36,Maxie.
  Today we're looking at a little known doll from the Drowsy line.


It's Lil Drowsy Beans.


Actually,it's two of them. Unlike the original Drowsy,these guys have no talk mechanism.


Drowsy was first produced in 1964. If you've been with us for a while you'll know I love Drowsy.I always wanted one when I was a kid,and now I have several different kinds. (You can see my Drowsy posts HERE,and HERE.) She was popular,and stayed around until 1974. In 1984 Mattel brought Drowsy back,looking almost the same,and again in 1999. The 1999 version was battery powered and push button operated instead of a pullstring. There was a Cuddly Beans doll, produced in 1971, that was the same size as Drowsy and had the Drowsy head and hands. (You can see my Cuddly Beans HERE.) But Lil Drowsy Beans wasn't produced until 1982.
 
The tag line is 'Baby's nap time friend',but how old do you think the kid on the box is?
That was at the tail end of the Mattel Baby Beans dolls, which were made from 1970 to 1984.




They are about 9" tall in their sitting position,(which is the only one they can do. Their legs do not straighten out.)


 Standard Drowsy was available as a blonde,a brunette if you lived in Spanish speaking areas,and African American. Lil Drowsy Beans only came in these two styles as far as I can tell.


They have little molded and painted bows on top of their heads.

 

And cute freckles.Standard Drowsy doesn't have freckles.


 




Tomorrow I have to bake Ken's birthday cake for his birthday on the 9th. We'll still see another doll though. 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Eu também penso assim, embora eu prefira o original.

      Delete
  2. I don't know these dolls. They are cute and they definitely promote sleep (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must remember the original though. I don't remember these either for that matter. I was 'too old for dolls' at the time they came out. Stop laughing!

      Delete
  3. These are cute little freckled things, another doll from Mattel that I've never heard of or seen before!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of them before I found the pink one. It fell into one of those 'doll gaps' I mentioned.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking to buy both? Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Ebay or some of the Facebook doll pages.

      Delete
  5. Had one when i was a kid step mom burned her trying to find another one. The red head not blonde. Miss her i do..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the blue one. Then later got the pink one. I named them Biscuit and Pink Biscuit. Lol! Biscuit went everywhere with me! I still have Pink Biscuit. I am looking for a blue one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried online auction sites or Facebook doll pages?

      Delete
    2. I have the blue one. I have had her since about 1988. She was passed down to me by an older cousin when I was around 3 and she has been through everything with me. I named her Sarah and she has been to many medical procedures (she even gets her own hospital band) including the birth of my first child, first days of school. She gets treated like she's real, and even still I will sleep with her for comfort. One of my Dr's offices as a child had the pink one as well.

      Delete
  7. How much are they???
    I am looking for a brunette, for my newest Grand Daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. They aren't for sale. Have you tried Ebay or other online auction sites?

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.