Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Doll-A-Day #57: Oscar Week: Barbie Loves Frankie Sinatra

  Today's Oscar Week doll is from this set.


The set is Barbie Loves Frankie Sinatra, and the Oscar winner is,of course, Frank Sinatra.


This set is from 1999. I haven't opened it because I like how they are displayed in the box. I have been very tempted many times though!


It's a representation of the very young Frank Sinatra,when he was still referred to as 'Frankie'. He wasn't yet "Ol' Blue Eyes'.




He has the skinny jointed Ken body of that era, with the jointed elbows and knees.



The Barbie is dressed as one of the Frank Sinatra fans of the time,(the 1940's).


 

They were mostly very young girls and were called 'Bobby Soxers',a reference to the short 'bobby' socks they wore.




She also has what we used to call 'penny loafers',shoes with a slit in the bit that goes across the top of the foot. We used to put pennies in the slit. I'll bet our Dorothy in PA remembers that,eh Dorothy? 





I love his microphone and her little 45 record!





It even has a 'wire'.



 He has a great checked jacket and sweater vest.
 

Look at those tiny buttons!

 And he has a snazzy looking bow tie!


His pants are made of a gray,wool-looking fabric.




This doll was followed in 2000 by the doll 'Frank Sinatra,the Recording Years'. That's kind of stupid really,since he was recording in his young years too. You can see my post on that doll HERE. The Recording Years doll represents an older Frank,and had a brand new head sculpt. That doll has a great suit, a hat,and a music stand. Unfortunately, his microphone was only cardboard.


  Frank Sinatra was born Francis Albert Sinatra,on December 12, 1915,in Hoboken, New Jersey.  After starting out as a big band singer with the likes of the Tommy Dorsey orchestra,and Harry James,Frank  was signed to Columbia records in 1943. He went on to be one of the best selling music performers of all time,selling more than 150 million records world wide.


His first acting role was a small part in the 1943 film "Higher and Higher",which starred Jack Haley,better known as The Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz".  In the 1940's Frank made a number of classic musicals,such as Anchors Aweigh (1945),On The Town,and "Take Me Out to the Ball Game, (both 1949). His musical career went into a slump in the late 40's though,caused by his alleged mafia ties and an extramarital affair with Ava Gardner,whom he later married.


  Frank Sinatra's career was revived when he won his Oscar,and a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1953,for his performance in "From Here to Eternity". Two years later he was nominated for another Academy Award, this time for Best Actor,as well as the British equivalent,the Best Actor BAFTA,for his performance as a heroin addict in "The Man With the Golden Arm". "Pal Joey",in 1957, won Sinatra another Golden Globe Award,this time for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.
   Sinatra went on to make many well received movies,including "High Society" (1956), and "Ocean's 11" (1960), and to found his own record company,Reprise Records,in 1960.  He passed away in 1998.


  That's it for today. See you again tomorrow for more of Oscar Week.

8 comments:

  1. What a cutie. I think that I have this doll without clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Barbie? I don't know of another one with this hair style, so it may be her.

      Delete
  2. Wow, just look at those tiny buttons on Frank’s coat and Barbie’s blouse! Details like that are what really set the collectibles apart for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That's the kind of detail Mattel used to have in their play line toys. It's not affordable for kid's toys any more,or considered safe for kids because of small parts. I loved realism as a kid though.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh well this doll set I DO know!!! We bought this set for my husbands daughter one year when we were in Florida. In fact, I remember that we ended up buying 11 different Barbies on that trip as she was a collector and between us, very spoilt!! We had one suitcase completely filled with Barbie boxes...and this was one of my favourites of the lot. I think the Frank doll is a really good likeness to him when he was younger and really brings out his personality. I think that she too never took the set from the box, but recently mentioned that they were all in the loft and she was probably going to give them to her nieces as she only has two boys herself and they weren't interested. I would have loved to have had a look at all of them and had this set!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask her about this set. I doubt her nieces even know who Frank Sinatra was.

      Delete
  4. Hey I am not that old (laugh). Well I kind of am but I plead the 5th (chuckle).
    I think this doll definitely looks like "old blue eyes."
    My favorite Frank Sinatra movie is Guys and Dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not be that old Dorothy, but I certainly am! I was never much into Frank myself,but I love that the doll looks so much like him.My kids,however, really like Frank and actually listen to his music, and Ivy especially likes his movies.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.