Friday, June 9, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #152: Raggedy Ann Limited Edition

   Today's doll is one I found yard saling today. (I had a purpose. This wasn't it, but I couldn't resist.) She's a special Raggedy Ann. Here's her box.


The pictures wrap around the sides.



And here is the girl herself.


She was made in 1994. What's special about her is that she's a reproduction of Raggedy Ann as she really looked in Johnny Gruelle's illustrations. That's what it says on the back of her box.




And as it says on her certificate of authenticity, she is number 6468 of a 'limited edition' of 10,000. I'm not sure I'd call that limited.


As I said, she's supposed to be a recreation of the original illustrations. But as usual, they didn't get things quite right. Just looking at her here, compared to the picture on the box, her face isn't round enough, her eyes aren't big enough, her apron, or pinafore, isn't ruffly enough, or high enough on her chest, and her smile isn't broad enough.


She was one of three dolls in the series, the other two including Andy and The Camel with the Wrinkled Knees. The dolls were made by Applause, so she has a plasic hand shaped Applause tag, and a card hang tag.



But in spite of her inaccurate looks, I love her anyway. I have always loved Raggedy Ann and Andy. How can you not love them? Look at her!
 

She has the traditional look of a Raggedy Ann, with her dress and pinafore.


Her pinafore is separate from her flowered dress.


And as always, she wears her long bloomers and her striped stockings and black shoes.


She has yarn hair, done in a slightly differetn style than the usual Ragedy Ann dolls. It's loose in the back...


...and twisted on top. 


She has quite long hair for a Raggedy Ann.



And the other thing that makes her very special, is that she is signed by Kim Gruelle, grandson of Johnny Gruelle, Ann's creator.



I bought this Ann from a lady who was a serious Raggedy collector. Her sale was filled with Raggedy Anns, Andy's, and a Beloved Belindy and Camel with the Wrinkled Knees or two. She had decided 'it was time' to get rid of her Raggedys. 


I took loads of pictures of all her Raggedy dolls and other items. But something happened, and my phone seems to have captured only two!



  She had all sorts of Raggedys, including a couple of African American ones, and a sheet set, a hand puppet, and a set of Ann and Andy with a little miniature Ann. But I was good and only bought this one doll.
 


She's smaller than my childhood Ann.

  That's today's doll. See you tomorrow with another great find I made today. 

5 comments:

  1. What a great find! Raggedy Ann was one of my first toys, which was given to me when I was a few months old. And for my 5th birthday I received a giant (to 5 year old me anyway lol) 36” Raggedy Ann that I had seen in the Sears catalog. I still remember my excitement when I unwrapped her. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! Those special toys you remember receiving! I remember getting several of mine. Do you still have your Raggedys?

      Delete
    2. I wish I did, but they fell apart from being loved and played with :( I may need to find replacements now.

      Delete
  2. How come the camel resembles a horse? LOL I love Raggedy Ann and Andy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Johnny Gruelle had never actually seen a camel?

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.