Monday, June 12, 2023

My First TEMU Haul!

   Yes. I gave in to the Temu lure. Everybody has been doing Temu haul posts or videos lately. If you haven't heard of Temu yet, I don't know how you've avoided it. It pops up on Facebook all the time, YouTube is full of Temu haul videos. It's everywhere. The prices are unbelievably cheap, and shipping is almost always free, from what I can tell. 

  Emma introduced me to Temu not long after we moved in here. She made a Temu purchase herself...and then another...and another. (She's buying for a particular thing, so she has an excuse.) I broke down and made a Temu purchase a while ago, but I haven't gotten the post up yet because I have been trying to keep up with the daily posts and everything else I have to do. So finally, here is the Temu haul!

  Temu packages are bright orange.


I have seen in other people's Temu videos that Temu is apparently a habitual non user of bubble wrap or padding. Still, everything arrived in fine shape. Nothing was broken.


As you might guess, my purchases were miniature and doll related. (Why else would I think you'd want to see them?) I'll show you what I bought, the way it arrived, and then I'll show it all to you unpackaged.
  I purchased a package of charms, or whatever you would call things you might hang on a charm bracelet or necklace.


These two tiny 'books' of images on washi paper.


A 1/6 scale old fashioned telephone. (Boy does it hurt to call the hones I grew up with 'old fashioned'.)
 

A rice cooker.


Three pairs of doll sized tennis shoes. Here are the smaller two. These should fit a smallish BJD. 



A package of ice cream sodas, with rings for hanging them on a necklace.


A miniature tin of Danish butter cookies.



A package of paper frame shapes for scrapbooking, etc.


A miniature box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates.


Some 1/12 scale wall sconces.


A smaller than 1/12 scale dollhouse wood stove.



The third pair of tennis shoes. I'll show you who these fit in a minute.


A miniature decorative pillar. It came in a box.

 
 And...those washi paper books again. Why did I do this? (I loaded the pictures first, and now I'm adding the words. I must have accidentally not put both pictures together.)


And some cool mini busts. They came in boxes too.


And now we get to look at everything out of the packages. Tammy World for scale.
  


These busts are really nice. I'm not sure what they're made of. It doesn't seem heavy enough to be resin.


   They stand up really well, and the detail is great. 
  Next is something I forgot to photograph with the stuff in package, probably because it had fallen out of it's package in transit. It's a 1/6 scale old fashioned radio.

Tammy has it upside down. I'm going to blame that on her....


It's nicely detailed. They even bothered to put the sound holes in the back. It looks like the back would pop off, but it doesn't.



And once again, the washi books rear their heads.


They make really big books for 1/6 scale.
 
The covers are really pretty. The artwork is reproduction stuff from the early 1900's to the 1920's.

Very pretty, but I wish it had been printed on regular paper, because washi paper is translucent.


Then there's that rice cooker.


It has a removeable lid, with actual metal trim, just like a real one. It also comes with the spoon/server thingy.





The buttons and 'lights' are realistic enough too.


There are loads of those ice cream sodas, two of each of six flavours.

 
 As you can see, they do have those loops for hanging them on earrings or a necklace.

Each flavour has a matching straw. 

The whipped stuff on top is soft, like bathtub caulk.

I think this one would be caramel. Or maybe butterscotch.

Next we have the butter cookies.

There is the tin, with lid, the cookies themselves, and the paper sheet to cover the cookies, and a bunch of blue felt circles.


I understand the felt things might be to fill the tin a bit, so the cookies sit near the top, but they are way bogger than the tin. I don't know how you're supposed to get them down in there. I was afraid to try, in case they got stuck in there wrong and I couldn't get them out.

Here are the cookies, some right side up, and some upside down, to show you how they look both ways. They aren't very detailed either way.

And here's that 'old fashioned' phone.


It looks great, and is just the right size for 1/6 scale. The only thing is, that cord is very springy and wouldn't stay stretched far enough to allow Tammy to hold the phone to her ear with the base on her lap. I kept springing back and yanking the phone out of her hand.


  I miss this kind of phone! 


I loved the feel of dialing, and the sound the rotary dial made when you dialed. I liked that you could actually hold that handset in your shoulder while you talked, without accidentally hitting a button and hanging up on someone, or having the phone shoot out and across the floor. I liked the clunk the earpiece made when you hung up.


And you could really hang up! You could get mad and slam that earpiece down on the hang up buttons, and whoever was on the other end really knew they'd been hung up on! Now days all you can do is end the call. It's like trying to make a dramatic exit out of a room and running into the doorway.

 
 Look! They even put the speaker holes in the ear and mouth pieces!

When Unsentimental Niece was little she thought she could see my eye in the mouthpiece when she talked to me on the phone.

I'll have to write a tiny ohone number on the white circle. That's where your phone number always was, so you couldn't foget what it was when you had to give it out while on the phone.


Oh, Tammy wanted to show you her favourite ice cream soda... 


and how it stays in her hand if she puts her thumb in the loop thingy.


And here are those busts on the pillar. They're too short for 1/6 scale this way, but it works for 1/12 I think.




  The pillars have cherubs on them.


To show you scale, here are the pillars with the 6 inch Dollar Tree Friends Forever Club doll.


  The Ferrero Rocher choclates have a plastic box, two sticker labels, a piece of white paper, and a piece of brown felt with holes to stick them in.


They're not round, like the real thing, but pointy on the bottom. I suppose that's so you can stick them in those holes in the brown felt. They don't stay though. You'd have to glue them in.




The stickers are for the box i suppose. There should be a tiny one on each chocolate though.



They're a little big, but Tammy says that's okay!


The 1/12 scale wall sconces will have to be wired into a electricity source. 

The shades have come unglued.

  Tammy is showing you how big those shoes are.


  They're cute though, and pretty well made for the price. I'll find somebody who can wear them.




The little wood stove looks really good.


Not sure about the fake logs though.


But it lights up!



Now these things. I thought there was going to be a wide variety of styles. They all come apart you see, so you get a bunch of sizes. I thought they'd make great matting for miniature paintings or photos.


But they're all the same.


They're perforated so you can tear them apart.


Here are the charms.


Some of them are great for 1/6 scale, or even 1/12 scale.





And I found a doll that those books fit quite well.

They look perfect with my 12 inch Paola Reina doll, Ruby, a gift from Sharon in Spain.

Ruby got the third pair of shoes too! They were a little difficult to get on with the socks, because the socks made them harder to pull up, but they fit perfectly!




These shoes aren't realistically textured on the bottoms, like the smaller ones, but they still look great.





  Now you may ask yourself, how much did all this stuff cost? Most things were just over a dollar. I think some things were under a dollar. I may have paid a couple of dollars for something. But the whole lot cost $30. Ken made it part of my Mother's Day present. I bought 19 things! And the shipping was free.

  So I think Temu did a good job. The stuff was cheap, the shipping was free, and the quality was really good. I love what I got. If you make sure you get free shipping, and watch for the discounts, you can do really well with Temu. So go for it. And good luck! Temu is like a Lays potato chip: You can't have just one. Temu is going to keep popping up with cool stuff, and you're going to be tempted. Don't get addicted. It's not like I just bought another lot of Temu stuff just the other night...

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, now I'm tempted. And I've been doing *so well* resisting up till now!

    I remember some time back (as in, around 2005-06 or so), I'd heard of some enterprising techies retrofitting old rotary dial phones to work with the new digital bands/cell phones. Rotate to dial and all. Dunno if that's still a thing or not, though, in this age of the smartbrick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that too, and I want one! I would much rather have one of those phones!

      Delete
  2. All of that is so fun! I think the phone is my favorite. And I must have been hiding in a hole because I haven't heard of Temu. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute things. I got the same Danish cookies on Aliexpress recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you do with the felt circles?

      Delete
    2. I put them in the box and put cookies on top. And I glued the patterned paper inside the lid with the circle with adhesive on it.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of Temu.

    I miss rotary phones, too. My grandma had a black one, and they were quite pleasant to dial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.