Thursday, October 5, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #268: Cool Times Ken

   I had another doll planned for today, but I'm still having trouble with that new lens, and my pictures came out blurry. I don't want to have to use a flash because of reflection from the flash so we're stuck with this. I did take another lazy day today, and, in fact, took a nap! Maybe tomorrow I'll be awake enough to take some more interesting pictures.

  Today's doll is Cool Times Ken. For some reason my computer isn't letting me copy pictures, and I wanted to keep the full picture because these guys are all for sale. So I am stuck with the full photo. Cool Times Ken is third from left.


  Cool Times Ken was made in 1988, and that kind of shows. He has a very 80's outfit, including a yellow shirt with orange sleeves and a pizza decal, black stretch pants with white stripes down the sides of the legs, and black and white checked suspenders.




Now that's an outfit.


  He doesn't have a very 80's hairstyle though. The hair looks more 70's to me.


  The Cool Times series of dolls included Cool Times Barbie, Ken, Christie, Midge, and Teresa. The outfits were full of checks and polka dots. Once again Ken was the lone guy. 

  I still haven't seen the Barbie movie. I intended to go, but the opportunity has never arisen. 

  See you tomorrow for another doll.

4 comments:

  1. Well, he certainly does look "cool" for the era. What did folks say then? I think cool was more of a 60s-70s thing like "groovy."

    His outfit makes me think of the car hop team at the drive-up burger places. Was that a 50s thing? I don't think we had one in my hometown but I have seem them.

    I am glad you are getting rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say. I was never up on current 'cool' slang. I think people still say 'cool', don't they? I can see what you're saying about the outfit, but I never saw a male car hop. There is a place in Sidney, Ohio, where Ken's dad lived, called The Spot, that still has car hops. We took the kids there once so they could experience it. It's still very 50's looking, even on the inside.

      Delete
  2. I owned Cool Times Midge as a little girl, and I have her again...somewhere. I love this line! They smack of eighties cheese, but eighties cheese can be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a late bloomer, so the 80's were my young person times, even though I was in my 20's. But I liked the 80's. I liked the music, the comedy(British anyway), and SOME of the clothes. It was also my best hair decade. I started getting fat at the end of them, but I also got Ken, so I can't complain too much!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.