Sunday, October 1, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #263: Bo-Katan Kryze

   First of all, I will warn you that I got a new lens for our anniversary, but I'm still having autofocus trouble. If you find that annoying, that's nothing to how I felt after I looked at the pictures I took at Emma's wedding!!

  Today's doll is a new one of Emma's. She's Bo-Katan Kryze.

She looks great in her box. Nice presentation and all her stuff is staying where it should...except that one knee pad is already traveling South.

  She is a special edition Star Wars doll from Disney Parks.



 The character is from the TV series The Mandalorian, as well as the animated series The Clone Wars. She is a Mandalorian herself.



She's about 12 inches tall, maybe 11 1/2. 


Emma thinks the doll is a really good likeness of Katee Sackhoff, the actress who plays Bo-Katan. I think the doll looks like somebody, but I don't think it looks like Katee Sackhoff.

She's very pretty, and well painted. Her eyebrows are detailed, and her lips have a light coloured highlight on the lower lip. The eyes themselves are a bit basic and cartoon like though.

The doll has quite a few accessories: two guns...



...that fit into two thigh holsters. But they fit very loosely, and fall out REALLY easily. I've already lost one of them twice...and found it once. (It has to be here somewhere! I swear there's a black hole under this couch!)

The blue things are knee pads.

And if you have guns, you need ammo, right? So she has an ammo belt.

They did a good job of making it look dirty and worn.

...a helmet...


...which looks great, but upon closer inspection, is just a rubber toy, that doesn't even have a head hole in it.


She has that headband thing. I'm sure it has some other purpose, but I haven't watched Clone Wars, and I haven't seen her in The Mandalorian yet. We're way behind.

As you can see, she has rooted hair.

She has leg armour, and heavy shoes.

Pretty sure they aren't removable.


She also has a jet pack or something on her back.

One of her thigh holsters has slipped down. That was a problem with her knee pads too. They either moved down, or turned around. They didn't stay in place. I think they should have been made as part of the suit, so they would stay in place. They also keep her knees from bending, so that's not good either, for a jointed doll that should be posable.




The pack is supposed to look worn, but it kind of looks like somebody coloured it with pencil.


The back looks worse, but it isn't supposed to show.



There is a place on her back to attach it, but it doesn't clip on because the backpack thingy is soft rubber, and when you try to press is on, it just squashes in a bit. So it falls off really easily.



  She does have some armour that's stitched to her body suit.

Like the chest and abdomen plates and the shoulder pieces.

She has some wrist thingies that look like they might be for communication? Weapons?

Her hands are made in a gun holding position. The guns probably stay in her hand better than they stay in her holsters!

Here's a blurry shot of her armour.


  As I said, she has a pretty, and an interesting face, and rooted hair.


Red hair and brown eyes.

  I mentioned that she's articulated. She's jointed at the neck, shoulders, (but her arms can only move back and forth, not outward.), elbows, wrists, hips, knees, and ankles.
  She can't really hold her helmet the way it looked when she was still in the box. Her arms won't curl around it enough. And her gun toting hand pose means she can't hold her helmet.


Her legs bend at the knees and ankles, which means she can tilt her foot.


She can't sit down very much though. This squat pose is about the best she can do.


I'm not sure why she can't bend enough to actually sit. I don't know if it's her outfit, or her articulation that's holding her back.


She can get her hand on her holster at least.



  She's pretty nice. Her accessories are fairly well done. She looks good, but I'm disappointed with her articulation. But oh well. She's not mine. And she's pretty expensive, so I'm not going to have one.

  That's today's doll. Also have a look at today's other post, the Doll Book of the Month Club.

2 comments:

  1. She does look kind of pretty. I don't know anything about this genre, however.

    As I am reading the list of flaws you pointed out, I am wondering if the company rushed the doll through without the appropriate checks for authenticity and usability. A helmet without a place for the head does not make sense. A backpack that cannot attach is useless. I wonder what the comments are on the manufacturer's page, well if there is a comment section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they must have figured most people would leave her in her box, because she's a special edition. She's not really meant for play, but since she's so articulated, it would have been nice to be able to pose her more. As for the helmet, also just for looks. I think that's stupid.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.