Sunday, October 8, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #271: Grandmommer and Grandpopper

   Today we're looking at some dolls I got at one of those dolls shows. That was a few weeks back now! And I'm still going through what I bought. That can't be a good sign! But these guys were such a good price, and these were just about the only characters from the world of the Pillsbury Doughboy I didn't have. They're Grandmommer and Grandpopper.


  These dolls were made in 1974, as part of the Doughboy's family. 



  There were quite a few Pillsbury dolls. There were the much smaller finger puppet figures, which included Poppin' Fresh, (the Doughboy), his  wife, (according to Pillsbury. Official.), Poppie Fresh, their two kids named Popper, (the boy), and Bun Bun, (the girl), a cat named Biscuit, and a dog named Flapjack, Grandmommer and Grandpopper, (Are they Poppin Fresh's grandparents, or his kids'?), and the rare Uncle Rollie and his car. They even had their own Poppin' Fresh Playhouse. Then there were the dolls this size, which included Poppin Fresh, Poppie, and Grandmommer and Grandpopper.

I got all four of these together at the show.

  When I say these were a good price, I mean it. I got all four for $5. They would have cost much more if I had gotten them at a toy show, or on line.

  You know that thing about people shrinking when they get old? It must be true, because they are much smaller than the doughboy. They also wear more clothes than he does, but whatever.   

What does it say that animators always think women have to be completely covered, but it's perfectly all right for males to go around without pants?

  Like any good old timey grandma, Grandmommer wears her hair in a bun. Grandpopper, of course, is bald.

My Grama had a bun, and my Mamaw had a ring of rolled up hair around her head.

  And they're old, so of course they both wear glasses.








  The dolls this size had stands, which were pretty much a base with two holes their feet fit into.

  Now all I need are Popper and Flapjack.

  Those are the dolls for today. Tomorrow we'll see some I got at yesterday's toy show...in spite of the fact that there are at least two more dolls from the doll shows I need to show you! See you then.

6 comments:

  1. The local doll museum (which will be closing soon - so sad) has a room dedicated to advertising dolls. I know there is at least one Doughboy but I don't think it is any of the ones you have. I am always amazed at how many companies produced dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What will happen to all the dolls from the museum? I hope they have an auction or something. It would be a shame if they just got thrown away. Ken collects advertising things, so we have quite a few advertising dolls and toys. He had a huge stuffed Vlassic stork that MELTED in the fire! I didn't know stuffed things could do that! But I guess synthetic fibers are very meltable. It wasn't even in Fuzz's room. It was across the landing from it, but was on the top of the bookcase, very close to the ceiling, so the heat hit it.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry to hear about Ken's stork melting. That is awful!

      The Museum here is selling what it can. About half of the items have already gone to an auction house. The auction will be sometime before the end of the year.

      It's very sad. The owner is the daughter of the lady who started the Museum. Many folks remember going there to have their dolls repaired and to visit the Museum. So many of the doll museums are closed now.

      Delete
    3. I know. The Raggedy Ann and Andy museum even closed and the items from it are scattered here and yon now. Quite sad. I would love to open a doll and toy museum, where I could enjoy what i have without having to have most of it packed up all the time for space reasons, and other people could enjoy it too. But obviously they aren't profitable.

      Delete
  2. Grandpopper bears some resemblance to Pringles Man. Hmmmmm.
    I actually have a Poppin' Fresh. I found him at a thrift store years ago and he's been a kitchen fixture ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he does! I wonder if they're related! : )

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.