Friday, October 27, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #290: Futaba Fisher...man?

    Boy, it is always something! I mentioned yesterday that my camera battery died as I was taking pictures for today's post. Well, I put the battery on charge, and today I tried again. The battery charger had a green light, which means fully charged, but  my camera still won't come on! Ken had my phone because he had meetings with two electricians and a window person at the house today, so I couldn't take pictures with that. So you'll just have to settle for the few pictures I took yesterday. This guy is a Futaba.


   He's a fisherman, I think. I assume that's what the basket is for, and the stick he's holding over his shoulder.

If he were standing up he would be about 8 inches tall.

  The little sticker on the logs he's sitting on says 'Made in Japan'.


  You might have seen the post I did on a Futaba I used to have, (Before somebody on Flickr talked me out of it! It was a really nice one, and I wish I still had it.)  As I learned when researching for that post: Futaba creatures are mythical Japanese water beings, that are half human and half turtle. I think they are also called Kappa or Shibaten. 

  I just noticed that this guy is wearing a very similar shirt to my other one. Both shirts are blue and white plaid, with a brown placket. I know this one doesn't look like he's wearing a white and blue plaid shirt, but that's because he looks like he was probably previously owned by a smoker. If I could get him off those logs I might be brave enough to soak him in Stain Devils. It's worked before on dolls that were completely yellow from ancient cigarette smoke.

  That's today's doll. Sorry I couldn't give you more detailed pictures. My battery...or is it, my camera, went out as I was about to do a close up of that sticker. I'll figure something out for tomorrow's doll. At least I'll have my phone back by then. See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I always learn new things here. I never heard of this doll. He does look turtle-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one was much nicer. He was clean, for one thing! I still wish I'd kept that one!

      Delete
  2. He's so stinkin' cute! I love frogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh crap! I keep thinking of them as frogs, because they look more like frogs to me. But they are supposed to be half turtle. I think what keeps throwing me is the lack of a shell. I suppose that's where the human part comes in. I need to change the title.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.