Monday, May 13, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #133: Little Composition Girl

  Yesterday Emma and I went to an antique mall,and I found some things I'll be sharing with you soon. We also went, with Ken,to The Cheescake Factory,where I ate several things I shouldn't have, with my LPR. Still, it was only that one day. You can't be good all the time. 
  While we waited for our table,(They were super busy.),I lost a game of giant checkers to Emma,and Ken lost in a stalemate situation with Emma,after only the first round of moves. 
It was cold, and yes, we were playing in the misty rain. We'll all be sick with colds.
 I lost, but at least I made it for a long time before I lost.
  Today I went for my thyroid ultrasound,and I have my follow-up appointment with the doctor later this week.
  Today we're looking at a cute little girl.


I have no idea who she is.



She's 13 inches tall.


Her only marking is the number 13 on her back, which indicates her size.


She has blue sleep eyes.
 

I think the lashes are real hair.




Look at those tiny teeth!

She has a plate of 4 teeth.
This is definitely not her original wig.



Her knees are faintly blushed.

It really doesn't show up in the picture at all.


Her hands have even less blush,but there is some there.



She's strung, so she has a bit of posability with her limited articulation. She can tilt her head.


She can look up and down.


Her legs can move out to the sides a bit.


She has damage. Her surface is cracking,poor girl. 

 
Composition began to be used for dolls shortly after the turn of the last century. It was made up of sawdust and glue,and sometimes cornstarch or flour. It sounds like a school project! It seems like it would be fragile, but it was a much sturdier material for dolls than the earlier things that were used, like china,bisque,or wax. It was a popular material for dolls in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's. During World War II plastic production grew, thanks to a boost from the military uses of plastics. (You may remember in the movie, "It's A Wonderful Life",George Bailey's rival Sam Wainwright offers to get him in on 'the ground floor' in the plastics industry during the war. George refuses his offer, and after the war Sam is rich from his plastics investments.) After the war, plastic and vinyl dolls overtook composition dolls,and production of composition dolls stopped in the early 1950's.
   Many compo dolls are still beautiful. Others have surfaces that have begun to crack,like this girl, or even peel or flake away. You may have seen some of my other compo dolls.(You can find them under 'composition dolls' in the side bar.) Compo dolls can be repaired,but that's not something I can do.


If anybody knows the name of this doll or who she was made by, please leave a comment. 



  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. If I were guessing I'd say she's another Shirley Temple wannabe. No markings, I presume? She certainly is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right.The only markings I could find was the '13'. There might be something under that bad wig,but I can't see it.

      Delete
  2. She is a cutie doll. I like the wig and I think you are correct, it is not the original one. It looks too modern. I hope you can find out who she is.
    I am hoping your tests come back fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hey, someone else on Facebook said the Shirley lookalike's body has the same markings as Brookglad's poor Pitiful Pearl. I looked her up, and the arms look the same,so they may have used the same body. That means she might be by Brookglad. If you can pass that info along to your doll club friend,maybe that will be useful. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. She looks a lot like a doll I have, one of the first ones I added to my collection. I got some input on her from a doll expert on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68499916@N00/11676241086/

    There are several other photos of her in the album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I like this one too, isn't she sweet looking. Shame about the cracking but as I've said before, it makes me think she's had a life before she got to you :) I also always wish that we could hold these dolls and they'd tell us their story!
    Hope your tests went well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the doctor Thursday for the results.
      Some people are scared of second hand dolls for the same reason! They wonder what creepiness lurks around them!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.