Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #148: Rainbow Brite


  Today's doll is another from that first yard sale of the season. As I said,at that sale I bought 3 Care Bears,a Popples,a Raggedy Ann,A Tiny Tears,and today's doll.


She is,of course, Rainbow Brite.


Rainbow Brite was the creation of a team at Hallmark Cards. The idea was to create some characters for children,with the intention of  licensing them.


 Mattel was given the license to make the dolls and toys.


She's dated 1983.


Rainbow Brite was supposed to be in charge of all the colours of the universe,quite a big job for a small girl. It explains her colourful attire.


It also explains the outer space looking theme to her outfit.
 
Boots like this were made for humans too. They were called 'moon boots'.

Rainbow Brite has a rainbow and a star on her chest.

It looks like it's been re-glued.
She also has a star on her face.




There was quite a line of Rainbow Brite merchandise. There were various sized dolls,and several characters including Rainbow Brite's friends. This doll is 18 inches tall.


She has a soft stuffed body.




But, of course, her head is vinyl.
 

Her dress is actually a separate piece and can be removed.It snaps closed in the back.

The shiny coating on the skirt portion of her dress is starting to peel.

Her hair is yarn.




It could do with a little tidying. I re-did her ponytail,but her bangs don't want to lay down.



The animated series to accompany the toy line debuted in 1984.You can watch some of that animated series HERE.


Rainbow Brite was part of my adult years,but before I had kids. It was Unsentimental Niece's era,and I was aware of it. Like Care Bears and My Little Pony, it was never something that appealed to me. The series was revived in 2014,and my kids were all too old for it by then, so I avoided it a second time.There was a new line of toys in 1996 and 1997,but Rainbow Brite's theme had been changed from being in charge of the colurs of the universe,to 'diversity',with Rainbow's friends representing different ethnic groups. I bought Ivy a small Rainbow Brite doll when she was into Kelly dolls,that must have come from that era. It was a newer line of dolls at the time,not an original era one. The doll was about the size of a Kelly doll,and had removable clothing, but boots that didn't come off. It was really cute, and I thought Ivy could steal the clothes for her Kelly dolls if she didn't like Rainbow Brite. In 2009/2010 a new animated web series and a new line of toys was released for the 25th anniversary of Rainbow Brite. In 2015 a new line of toys was launched.


   Ok, I don't care for Care Bears,Popples,or Rainbow Brite, but we need a car, and they'll help with that.
  That's today's doll. See you again tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Oh man, I had that doll! I was way into Rainbow Brite in the original run, for some reason. I say “for some reason” because the only piece of media attached to it I recall seeing was the movie, Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer. At any rate, my childhood bedroom has a RB theme, and I recall my mom sewing me a costume of her outfit one Halloween. About three other girls in my class were the same character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a cute little face :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popples are a bit older than I am, but just out of curiosity, which one did you find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the smaller ones,sort of grass green.

      Delete
  4. Well, she certainly is colorful (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow. I went crazy for the Rainbow Brite line of dolls when I was growing up back in the 80s. The dolls I had were similar to your's, but mine all had velcro on their hands and each one came with their corresponding sprite. I also had Rainbow Brite's horse, Starlight. Not to mention Puppy Brite, the Baby Brite baby doll, a set of Viewmaster slides, and a record album that me and my sisters played ad nauseum. I think the only Rainbow Brite items I longed for but never got were some later additions to the line, Tickle Pink and her horse.
    Looking back, I feel really bad for my parents. I'm pretty sure those dolls weren't cheap. But at least my sisters and I got a lot of play value out of those toys.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doll came with a Sprite too, but I forgot to mention it. She doesn't have Velcro though. There were smaller dolls like this one,probably 13 inches or so. Maybe that's what you had? Do you still have any of them?

      Delete
    2. I gave my collection of Rainbow Brite dolls to one of my younger sisters a number of years ago, but knowing my sister she should still have them. We come from a long line of pack rats.
      Signed, Treesa

      Delete
    3. I'm the pack rat in our family. I saved all the toys and now and then my sister decides she wants something and I usually have it.

      Delete
  6. I watched the movie and the cartoons, but I can't remember if I had the doll. I know I loved the Sprites. That shouldn't be a shocker since I seem to like the accessories sometimes more than the dolls they go to. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.