Friday, May 31, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #150: Let's Pretend

  First, the problem with the competition: Korglady says that the Followers list and the Follow button don't show up when viewing the blog on her phone. Maybe that's been some people's problem. If you can, view the blog on a computer or laptop and see if that solves the problem. I WILL EXTEND THE COMPETITION FOR ANOTHER FIVE DAYS to see if that helps. That means the last day to follow and enter will be June 5th,2019. The winner will then be announced on June 6th,2019.
  Next,I have started a Facebook page for the blog. The link is in the sidebar, so please visit,follow, and 'like' the new Planet of the Dolls Facebook page! I'll be posting a link to each daily post, and revisiting some previous dolls I've posted on,and even sharing some doll related posts I've found interesting. It will be a good place to view the blog photos without all the words too. My Flickr account is nearly full,so unless things change on that front, the photos will be getting posted pretty much here and on Facebook only, from now on. 
  Now, on to today's doll. She's this girl.


This doll is called Let's Pretend. 

I think she is from the early 1970's.
 

As her box says,she is jointed at the neck,shoulders, and hips.





She came with two doll sized Halloween costumes which seem to be miniature recreations of actual Ben Cooper Halloween costumes from the early 70's. The costumes are cloth and the masks are rubber. I bought her at a doll show a few years back,strictly for the costumes. I used them in my Halloween party photo story,which you can see HERE.

On the left you'll see Ivy's doll, Swingy Legs,wearing the witch costume. In the middle is Emma's doll, Emma the Doll,wearing the mask to the clown costume. Why is she wearing a clown mask when she's dressed as Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz"?

I think now you might see why. Emma the Doll has a cloth head cover, which I referred to as her 'head sock',onto which was applied an actual photo of Emma (the kid)'s face. It was put on with t-shirt transfer goop,but over time,(and tons of play), it wore away. I touched it up occasionally with coloured pencils, but she always looked pretty rough. I wanted her to get to be a part of the party, but she's not exactly aesthetically pleasing.These days she lives on Emma's dresser.
Here's the clown costume, on Tammy World's sister,Anne,(...of Green Gables, from the When I Read I Dream series).

In the back, center,is Swingy Legs again,with her mask back on her head. Emma the doll has the clown mask on her head too.


There were at least two dolls in the Let's Pretend series. I found a page that has pictures of both. You can see it HERE. The other doll had costumes of a witch,and a Native American girl.


She was made by Fun-World, who also made Susie Slicker. (You can see my Susie Slicker dolls HERE and HERE.)

 

At 8 inches tall, she's the same size as a Susie Slicker,so maybe they used the same body. She seems bigger though. She the same hands.

They look pretty cheap,with flashing around the fingers and a big mold seam.


She has some cute little shoes.



Her hair is thinly rooted and fairly long.


She's marked Made in Hong Kong.


Her one piece outfit is pretty cheaply made.



It closes in the back with one snap...
 

...and ties at the back of the neck.



  That's the doll for today. See you tomorrow for another doll.

19 comments:

  1. Your Facebook link does not take me anywhere. Too many re-directs, I am told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'll have to look into that.It's working for some people.

      Delete
    2. I've decided to give Vanessa her own 'day',so watch for her tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. From the back of the box, it seems that there was a blond doll too. And a mask that reminds me of Mother Holle.

    What is the doll that Anne is chatting to in the picture above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered the question below,but if you want to see her better, there are more pictures in the photo story.You can click on the link above. Her name wasn't actually Vanessa. I just named her that. I don't know what she's really called.

      Delete
  3. In your Halloween post, the doll that I mean seems to be called Vanessa. What doll is she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a Kid Kore I think. They are sold at Walmart and I think they are sold other places. I just found the other day that I have another one. I was going to get rid of her.Why, do you want one?

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your answer. I like her. Waiting one depends on price and shipping price.

      Delete
    3. Just did some research. If she is Kid Kore, she might be Piper? But last time I saw pictures of Kelsey's rare sisters, I assumed she was Skipper sized. But your doll looks only slightly taller than Stacie (and Katie)? I got a wedding set with Kelsey, husband (I have not found any name for him. It was on the package, but I did not take a note), Jodi and Timmy 14 years ago, in a Norwegian store. Later, I have found more Jodi dolls and Katie dolls (even one in a local thrift store), and another Kelsey. But "Piper" and "Carla" I have only seen when Googling "Kid Kore Sisters" (there is a MIB set on Ebay for $300 + $30 shipping. It contains Carla, Piper, Kelly (not Kelsey) and Katie. That Carla looks like a blond version of my "Creata Today's Girls Beach Kids Marisa" doll). I might have bought them if they were not blonde, and if they all cost maximum $25 including shipping.

      Delete
    4. I checked on Piper. She does look similar. She is more Skipper sized. Katie is Stacie sized. Katie was the first doll that size I ever bought for Emma,and she went on to collect Stacie dolls. 'Vanessa' has sort of brown hair,as does the extra doll I have. I'll stick a couple of pictures of 'Vanessa' in the new post so you can get a better look at her.

      Delete
  4. If you're viewing the blog on your phone, there should be a link at the bottom of the page that says "View web version" If you click on that, the followers list on the sidebar shows up. But there is an option, when you follow a blog to follow anonymously- if they've clicked that, whether deliberately or not, they won't show up in the followers list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along in the next post too.
      I thought of that. One of the entries commented their answer as 'anonymous,but they have a name when you click on the 'anonymous'

      Delete
  5. Oooo, a little off-brand doll with a cute face! She'd fit in nicely with my lot! Cute post, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. What dolls do you collect like this?

      Delete
  6. A cutie doll. She has a nice shape. I agree that her hands are kind of cheap looking. It's not her fault so we will still love her (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very tempted to steal her body for my platinum Susie Sad Eyes head, which came on one of those dress-me bodies. I just can't bring myself to do it!

      Delete
  7. Does the doll have a company name?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's actually a cute doll. I love the miniature costumes and that they made them like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.