Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Doll-A-Day 336: A Doll of My Own Making: School Girl

  Today's doll is another I made. She's this polymer clay little girl.
She's missing her right shoe, but I'll get to that in a minute.
 She's sitting, so it's hard to say exactly, but she'd be under 4" tall if she were standing.

Ivy said she looks like Ann Estelle. I agree, if Ann Estelle were uglier.It wasn't intentional though. (The likeness nor the ugliness!)


She's strung, so her arms, legs, and head are poseable.
She was made to sit at a school desk with a pencil in her hand, thus the pose. I just don't have a school desk for her yet!
That right hand is made to hold a pencil. I just need to make her one. She was modeled holding a piece of wire.


She has some problems. For one, her right shoe broke and won't stay on. When I was getting ready to take her picture her shoe fell off twice. The second time around it must have gotten sucked into a black hole, because I can't find it anywhere! Ken and Fuzzy both helped me look. It's just gone.

I used wire to form her legs and feet. You can see the edge of the wire in her foot here. The socks only come to the tops of her feet, because if they were on her foot too, her shoes would have to be so big that her feet would look huge.

It's a shame too, because I was actually quite proud of her little Mary Jane shoes. The sole on the one that fell off was particularly good.


I made her to sit with her feet crossed, which they do quite well.She can sit other ways too though.

Or not sit...

I also made her sailor dress,including the little gold ring that holds her sailor collar.

There was a bit of gluing involved in making that collar. It's pretty hard to find fabrics with prints that small anyway,and it would have been impossible to have found the right print to make the collar I wanted. So, I cut the selvage edge and glued  it.

I also made her glasses. They have lenses in them.


She could definitely do with a better face though.

I don't like her face very much. Please keep in mind that I haven't made many polymer clay dolls.

Her teeth are actually three dimensional. I was pleased with the way they turned out. I changed her lip colour several times though. I'm still not pleased with it, but nothing I tried looked right.
  Tomorrow is the last Doll-A-Day. I'll be posting less often, but I'll still be a frequent poster.Check us out tomorrow to see the last doll of the year!

2 comments:

  1. I think she's a cute little doll :). I just started making dolls of polymer clay (I just finished a little gnome) and I know how difficult it is :). So I think you've done a great job on her! It really is a pity with the one shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was wondering how I could fix her shoes before. I was just going to glue it on. But how do I make a new one without it being on her foot? I can't rebake her since she's clothed and painted. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.