Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #67: $3 Pepper, Before and After

   I got this Pepper doll at the doll show the other week, for $3. 


The dealer I got her from charges too much for a lot of stuff, so I was expecting her to be expensive. I asked about something else first, which was pricey. Then I said, "And how much is this dirty faced girl?" He said $4, but I had three ones and he said that was good enough. Sold. The other bonus was that she's wearing an actual Tammy dress. Not a Pepper one, but a Tammy dress. (Those kids, playing dress up in their older sister's clothes!) It's in good condition too.
  She was pretty grubby.


It's always a danger buying dolls like this, because you don't know what's under that crud. She could be missing her face paint, or discoloured. Or maybe the crud won't come off. or will take the paint off with it. For $3 it was worth the risk. She seemed like she'd be okay.




  And here she is after her clean up.



She turned out really nice. Her cheeks are rosy, her hair isn't missing any plugs, and she has beautiful colouring.



The nice thing about Pepper doll is that their hair almost always combs easily into it's original set. Thats a bonus for me, because I'm terrible with hair.



She's wearing a cute dress with a matching bonnet. This was in some of my doll clothes, and I can't remember if I just got it at the doll show, r if it was in some older stuff Ken brought from the house. The dress is a little short, but it fits her pretty well.


The bonnet is huge, which works well with her thick hair.












  I think Pepper looks pretty good for her age. She's almost as old as I am, considering Pepper was produced from 1963 to 1965. (I was 'produced' in 1962.)

  That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we'll see another doll I got at the recent doll show.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yep. Never ignore dolls like this. You have to consider if they can be saved.

      Delete
  2. Not to paraphrase Raging Moon, but Wow is right! Glad you took a chance with her - she looks so nice. If the dealer could see her now, he would probably regret not putting a little work into cleaning her.

    Teresa F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I ca never understand why a dealer would out anything out looing like that, not only because they could have gotten more for it, but because it makes their table look bad. People will start to say, "Oh, they just have crap.", and stop shopping their stuff.

      Delete
  3. Oh, she cleaned up so well, Tam! And she has lovely coloring. I agree about dealers cleaning up their stuff. I bought two dolls in a trunk at an auction recently, and the dolls as well as the batch of clothes in the trunk were filthy. The dolls had cloudy eyes, and no one else bid on them, so I paid a whopping $5! A spin in the wash for the clothes and a blast with a hair dryer on the eyes, and they will be just fine...worth a whole lot more than $5. (The trunk, unfortunately, was cardboard and truly trash, beyond saving).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could get so much more sometimes if they'd just give their things a little cleaning. What kind of trunks do you collect Beth? I got a nice pink metal trunk when I bought the Penny Brite clone at the doll show recently, and I need to get rid of it. You can have it for the shipping cost. I just don't want it. I can email you some pictures if you want.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.