Friday, March 17, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #70: Cool Crimps Skipper

   Today's doll is an unbelievable 30 years old this year. She's Cool Crimps Skipper.



 I say 'unbelievable'  because to me, 1993 doesn't seem that long ago. I was 31, Emma was 2, and Ken and I celebrated our fourth anniversary that Fall. Now Emma is 31, and Ken and I will have been married 34 this Fall. Where does the time go? 

  Well, nowhere for this girl. She hasn't aged a day since 1993. Back then, crimped hair was still a thing.


She still has her instructions.

And the tools to use with them.

SHe has a cardboard case full of cardboard hair equipment.

She has a comb and a brush, 2 heart shaped crimpers and two regular crimpers, and a fake bottle of...hair product? 



How to use said crimpers, for results like 'when Mommy goes to the beauty shop!'



And she has plenty of long hair to use the crimpers.



Her hair elastics have crumbled away over ALL those years.





She's still in very nice condition though. Luckily she, and the other dolls stored in the box she was in, were stored in ziplock bags, because the box got soaked by the fire crew, and the water was dark brown and smokey smelling.

Apparently, baby pacifier jewelry was also quite a thing in those days.



She is wearing her original outfit, consisting of a blue blouse, trimmed in the same pink and white and blue and white gingham as her overalls...



,,, and the aforementioned overalls.

Real pockets!


The overalls only reach to just below her knees.



She also has pink high top tennis shoes.





She has the 'big eye Skipper' , or anime' inspired head sculpt, which is just about the least popular head sculpt amongst Skipper fans, although it does have it's fans.



  There were two other dolls in this Cool Crimps series: Cool Crimps Courtney, who had a green version of Skipper's outfit, complete with the pink pacifier jewelry, and Cool Crimps Kevin, (You can see mine HERE.) Kevin had molded and painted hair, so I don't know what he was crimping. With all the stuff coming here to be checked over for moisture, I have been going through a lot of stuff. In doing so I discovered that I have two of these dolls. The other one doesn't have her accessories, or even her shoes. She does have her outfit and stupid pacifier jewelry though. 



She at least stayed clean where she was, and she doesn't smell like smoke. She needs to find a new home, so if anybody is interested, let me know. She's $10 plus shipping. And remember, if you want me to contact you, you have to leave your contact information. Most people seem to forget that,
Tomorrow is another doll.                                                                                                                   

2 comments:

  1. I think Kevin came with clothes that could be crimped. I saw him in one of my books. LOL, yes, I feel you about 1993 being just yesterday. My sister was two, and I was six. And oh yes, the pacifier jewelry...I remember that being a thing among my friends and thinking "WHY??? We're not babies!" LOL Skipper is so cute! The bug-eyed dolls do have their fans, as you said, and I've always liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a post on my Cool Crimps Kevin, and found out that he came with stamps that could be used to stamp hearts and stars on his clothes and hair. That's still not crimping though! I never understood the pacifier jewelry craze either. It seems kind of stupid.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.